Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 04:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's hard for me personally to answer this question without first having an answer to: "How will the perpetually unemployed and other losers contribute to the a universal healthcare system if they don't pay taxes to begin with?"
There's always going to be someone who can't contribute - I'll start with
children who are sick and have parent (s) that are on welfare.
With that said, with a Medicare for All, I see no reason why a person
who receives a check or payment - any type e.g. welfare check, disability
check, unemployment check, etc. can not have a percentage deducted from
such check. I'll go as high as 10 percent.

So if one is on welfare and receives a monthy welfare check of 650 dollars.
They would pay 65 a month of that towards their own health care in
a Medicare for all system - that's at 10 percent. If the medicare payroll
tax for all is less than that, they will have less deducted each month as
well.

Administrative redundancy would be eliminated. With one payer
you wouldn't need one for each sub group: va, tricare, medicaid,
medicare, federal workers, mail workers, miners, prisons, etc....
which costs all us federal tax payers a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Damn right it was. People died from serious injuries (such as a broken back, for instance), instead of living in pain for 30 or 40 years, doped up on 15 kinds of "pain medication" and spending their lives as spaced-out semi-invalids on "disability". People who contracted diseases either survived because they were strong, and had a strong immune system, or they died. Now days, we keep every pathetic invalid alive so that the American medical system can prosper financially regardless of the quality of life that the person has.

I am all for getting back to "survival of the species mentality". Newsflash, sometimes people die, it's all part of the plan.

20yrsinBranson
Who gets to decided if their quality of life is good enough? You? With your lack of compassion I hope not. I have known a few "pathetic invalids" that were children. Medication has helped them live a better quality of life for the short time they had. And I know others that are still around, living their life that medicine has made a better longer life. My question to you is this, do you know any of these people you speak of? Do you know their families? Friends? I think what you say is stupid. You can never have a strong enough immune system to fight cancer. Should we just quit fighting diseases? quit sending people to medical school?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM

359 posts, read 329,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Damn right it was. People died from serious injuries (such as a broken back, for instance), instead of living in pain for 30 or 40 years, doped up on 15 kinds of "pain medication" and spending their lives as spaced-out semi-invalids on "disability". People who contracted diseases either survived because they were strong, and had a strong immune system, or they died. Now days, we keep every pathetic invalid alive so that the American medical system can prosper financially regardless of the quality of life that the person has.

I am all for getting back to "survival of the species mentality". Newsflash, sometimes people die, it's all part of the plan.

20yrsinBranson
ooooooooooooooooooooo

hey man, there's a nug of truth to what you're talking about, but let's see what happens when it's YOUR ass in the hospital bed...

Oh, now you wanna live?

hahahahahahahahahaha weak stuff dude

Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep...so long as you don't have a family it's quite reasonable.

Get a few family members, and it get's pretty damn steep. And i mean REAL STEEP.
It blows up once you get married or have kids.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
It's hard for me personally to answer this question without first having an answer to: "How will the perpetually unemployed and other losers contribute to the a universal healthcare system if they don't pay taxes to begin with?"

Bad luck sucks. No doubt about it. But what's worse to me are the losers of this nation who would continue to suck on the Government Teat EVEN IF WE HAD UHC.

You have to tend to the shelves if you want to sell anything.
That has to end. Refundable tax credits need to end. We need national health funded by a payroll tax. Everyone has to pay something.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Quote:
Except for exceptional circumstances, like being 70 and having 3 types of cancer, health insurance is available and affordable. I have shopped around for the hell of it using several different states for comparison and all of the plans were quite affordable. (ie. $80-250 month). Is it the best insurance on the planet? Not neccessarily, but with out of pocket maximums, it's much better than nothing.

Are there exceptions? Of course. But I don't buy the whole "its not affordable" argument. It's all about priorities. If insurance costs $250 per month, and you really need health insurance, then you prioritize your spending accordingly.

Millions of American's don't even know how to budget. That they also don't understand their priorities is of no concern to me.

www.ehealthinsurance.com (See for yourself)
I actually agree with this.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I agree with the OP.

You would be surprised how many folks on Medicaid have iphones, cable, drink regularly, etc. That adds up, people.

As a homecare nurse,I have to agree with you.
I have known many to drive better cars than me,own their own homes,have additional children while they were on Medicaid for the first,oh you wouldn't believe.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There were times when moms delivered their babies at home without the presence of any doctors
I kinda agree with you, we Americans go to the doctor for everything.
There is no reason to go to the doc for a cold,he can't prescribe anything.
Someone told me I should take my daughter to the dermatologist for acne. Really? They have otc stuff for that. Much cheaper than the 30 dollar copay to see the dermatologist.

One interesting thing I haven't saw is that we need a prescription for everything in this country,meanwhile in other countries its sold otc.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have been a public health nurse, and also a visiting nurse. (There is a difference.) In any event, I've been in a lot of people's homes. I did not see a lot of this "conspicuous consumption" that many people, who do not have my experiences, claim to know about, especially with people on Medicaid. You should see some of the crap-holes these people live in! Back when I was a PHN, and there were no cell phones, a lot of these people didn't even have land lines. Or if they did, you'd call one day and find out the phone had been disconnected.

Now we did talk about the "voluntarily uninsured". I posted some stats last night about these folks, primarily single young childless men. They might have all those toys and then some. They're the ones the "individual mandate" would be good for.
Its the myth of the Welfare Queen.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There were times when moms delivered their babies at home without the presence of any doctors
Do you believe that the infant and women mortality is now anywhere near what it was when homebirth was the norm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies