Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Again, why are so many people not "fat and happy?" Sure, there are lots of reasons, and yes there are those who never get ahead. But guess what? Many times.....if not most of the time.....its due to their own bad life decisions. At what point do we as American's draw the line on subsidizing a nation of bad decisions?

I'll be more than happy to expound on the plethora of data that points to horrific life decisions if you want.....although i'm sure you're quite aware of what i'm talking about. Anyone with eyes wide open knows that America has a cultural problem (ie. living beyond our means....having kids we can't afford.....not finishing high school.....crime rates.....etc.) It's time to stop subsidizing this problem and force certain measures of personal responsibility on people by rescinding the safety nets that enabled them to live these lifestyles to begin with.
What about the ones that didn't do any of the things you harp about. The system just dumped on them? Do you have any great ideas for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Well, I'd say a big problem over the years we're our public employees were all getting the Cadillac health care plan where they didn't have to pay anything at all....which their doctors of course knew, allowing them to charge for pretty much everything they wanted at the expense of everyone else.
You are absolutely right. This is the kind of thing that has driven up the cost of health care procedures. The cost doesn't matter to a patient that has the insurance to cover it, and this allows doctors to charge more. It is the only business I know of where their is no price competition. Prices would have to come down if there were. It would help if people didn't consider good health care to mean that it all has to be 100 percent covered by insurance and free. It isn't worth nothing, why should you expect to pay nothing? Clearly the system we have is messed up, but something like Obama care is just an attempt at a quick fix that won't work. It didn't happen over night and unfortunately there is no quick fix for it.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
YOU need to spend more money on health care and less on military....and all will be fine....no person in your nation should have to worry about living or dying due to the amount of money they have...No old lady should lose her home if she gets sick...and have the inheritance due her children stolen...no public health care helps to destroy the middle class...How is a son or daughter going to establish themselves with a home of their own if the private insurance companies and the greedy doctors steal the money?
No one is due an inheritance. Why do so many young people think their parents money is their own? It isn't your parents job to provide the money for you to establish yourself.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What about the ones that didn't do any of the things you harp about. The system just dumped on them? Do you have any great ideas for them?
Are you referring to those who simply had bad luck in a down economy?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
You are absolutely right. This is the kind of thing that has driven up the cost of health care procedures. The cost doesn't matter to a patient that has the insurance to cover it, and this allows doctors to charge more. It is the only business I know of where their is no price competition. Prices would have to come down if there were. It would help if people didn't consider good health care to mean that it all has to be 100 percent covered by insurance and free. It isn't worth nothing, why should you expect to pay nothing? Clearly the system we have is messed up, but something like Obama care is just an attempt at a quick fix that won't work. It didn't happen over night and unfortunately there is no quick fix for it.
I tend to think you're over-estimating the amount of "overcharging" that occurs. Doctors usually have to abide by fee schedules, which govern reimbursement rates. He/she can charge all she wants for a procedure, but the reimibursement will usually be limited to the amount insurer will pay. At that point, it becomes a little less important to charge absorbitant prices for procedures if the insured can't pay the amount that is above and beyond the reimbursed portion.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Are you referring to those who simply had bad luck in a down economy?
No, it shows how vulnerable a system like ours is. The higher the costs climb each year, even a mild recession can throw 10s of thousands down the tubes. Which is exactly what is going on now.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 PM

208 posts, read 318,409 times
Quote:
I tend to think you're over-estimating the amount of "overcharging" that occurs.
When my husband was in the hospital the itemized bill showed $433 for 2 tylenol. Seriously.

There's obvously A LOT of reasons our health-care system is messed up, nonsense like this is just one of them.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Quote:
Then the question becomes....."Why are so many American's living on such thin margins?"

Aren't you one of those who remind us that we live in the most prosperous country in the world? So what gives?
When the wealth is concentrated on the top 1% this can be a prosperous Country but it is on the backs of the poorer Americans............ Maybe it is something heredetary here that there HAS to be a poor class so that the that the fat cats can prosper......... who knows but i do know that America has one of the absolute worst health systems in the World and the elitists will not give it up without a fight........... they are happy watching millions suffer..........

Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
There are 15% of the US population that are currently uninsured. But probably less than 5% of that population is what we would call "un insurable". I think that's where we need to focus our attention on. Any younger adults under age 40 who's relatively healthy even with a family should be able to afford their own health insurance. The 5% I mention (those with preexisiting conditions); we need to focus on that. As with all news that is released by the press in any country, the truth about the real uninsured population is much less than what's reported. Unfortunately many people choose not to go with health insurance because they feel like they don't need it. Almost any young adult (18-30) should be able to get insurance with high deducible ($2500 and up) for less than $100 a month, sometimes less than $70. Many of the uninsured population have different priorities (eating out, cable TV, smartphones, alcohol).
The study I posted about the voluntarily uninsured stated that about 43% of the UI are voluntary, based strictly on income (and it was a fairly low cut off). Most of the VUs are young, male, single and childless.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Haha... your ceiling for what you qualify as average shows you're not average. I wouldn't be surprised if you & your wife's disposable income is more than many Americans' salary/wages.

It's easy to talk about priorities when you when you have enough disposable income that sacrificing going out a couple of times a month is enough to cover a private plan.

But what if you don't? What if you've got a kid and make $40k? I'd love to see all the luxuries someone like that has to give up to find an extra $700-1000/MONTH to pay for insurance.
Forget the luxuries. How much food would they have to give up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies