Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times

Advertisements

Trayvon Martin = Horst Wessel??????

Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
Below are a few statistics. These are FACTS, not opinions. Source: http://www.colorofcrime.com/colorofcrime2005.pdf

• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Fortyfive percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.

Statistically, Zimmerman had good sense to suspect the suspicious-looking Martin. This isn't racial profiling, it's good common sense.
Actually, by definition, that is profiling. The only way it would not be profiling if the stats were "the vast majority of blacks will commit [insert whatever]" which is of course untrue.

Blacks are found to be more often involved with crime (wonder how much is drug related?) but that doesn't mean you see every Black person as a criminal. If you do, that is profiling.

Here is an interesting study (do note it is just interesting for conversation and IMO not really scientific): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN3OCT2gL20

Last edited by Maabus1999; 04-03-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Enough of them are that I'd be reluctant to call the cops......they'd see me as the suspect and the creep rather than the one who is the actual suspect and creep.
So if TM called the cops, they showed up and listened to him explain that he's staying with his Dad's fiance, he's watching the NCAA play offs and he is coming back from the store with ice tea and skittles for his brother, that the cops would continue to harrass him and think he's a creep? At that point he would have made GZ look stupid, and who knows maybe GZ would have apologized and everyone been on their merry way. But hey, I guess it's better to avoid all those racist cops, the situation that actually went down went much better. Wow, this is a new level of stupid I didn't even know existed.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
Not sure which story you're referring to. The story this thread is focused on is the life-threatening attack of Zimmerman by Martin, and Zimmerman shooting Martin in self-defense. And for some reason, some people seem to think that defending your own life against a deadly attacker is a crime.
So, are you the one witness who saw this happen?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 AM

169 posts, read 337,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, are you the one witness who saw this happen?
No, but everyone else seems to be.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What if - at this point in time - it is on purpose that Zimmerman is allowed to be free?

It is much more profitable for Obama, and the "movement", that Zimmerman NOT be arrested at this time.If Zimmerman is arrested, then the crisis is over and the marches end.

It really does not take much to accomplish this - just a messenger to the Sanford PD with a quick "request" to let Zimmerman hang out for awhile.
oh, for god's sake...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Asking someone "what are you doing here" is not a confrontation that warrants a fist as a response.
You witnessed Martin attack zimmerman?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Or, you can act like a civilized human being, call the cops and report the harrassment, instead of becoming violent and assaulting someone. If you're being assaulted and have a legitmate fear of being killed or severely injured, you have a right to defend yourself. To say that you should take a beating and not defend yourself is asinine. You don't want to take the risk of being shot? DON'T ATTACK PEOPLE.
You witnessed Trayvon attacking zimmerman?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM

169 posts, read 337,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Actually, by definition, that is profiling. The only way it would not be profiling if the stats were "the vast majority of blacks will commit [insert whatever]" which is of course untrue.

Blacks are found to be more often involved with crime (wonder how much is drug related?) but that doesn't mean you see every Black person as a criminal. If you do, that is profiling.

Here is an interesting study (do note it is just interesting for conversation and IMO not really scientific):
Real Racism? What Would You Do? Man Stealing Bike In Park! - YouTube
So, if I report a suspicious-looking white dude, which would be my duty as a part of a neighborhood watch, I'm just being diligent. However, if I report a suspicious black dude, I'm a racial profiler.

If that's the case, it seems I'm being racially profiled as a racist white guy who racially profiles black folks. It's blatant discrimination against diligent neighborhood watchers if you ask me.

Statistics are statistics. If African American's don't like the statistics, they need to put forth a little effort to change them. The power is in their hands. Unfortunately, they put most of their time and energy whining about being racially profiled.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
This never would have happened in CANADA..The only persons carrying a gun are cops and the odd gang banger...Hand guns are rare here....There would be no neighborhood watch guy roaming about packing a pistol..If there is a need for security...we have trained security guys where they are needed- In uniform..who are NOT armed and have quick access to police who are armed...It's that gun culture thing you got going...accidents or foolishness like this is bound to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies