Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
That photo is creepy, I wouldn't want him stalking my daughter at night, esp. as he is armed. he looks unbalanced.
I agree, if you're talking about his mug shot, but in fairness to Zimmerman, the most common photo is from 2005 when he was booked for felony assault and not a fair image of the man in 2012. Unfortunately, it was the only photo available, because the latest one showing Zimmerman in a suit & tie smiling is copyrighted.

Trayvon is the victim, and he cannot speak from the grave, so I understand why his family wants to portray an image of a young, sweet kid. However, he was your typical 17 year old from Miami Gardens, who liked gangsta rap and wanted to look cool. That isn't a crime or even a reason to judge him. When I was 17 and in college, it was the "men with long hair" who were seen as anti-establishment. Unfortunately, the recent photos of Martin scare White people who agree they'd shoot an unarmed 17 year old, wearing a hoodie and a grill. I just heard this from a neighbor:

"Trayvon was a stupid kid. When you're Black, you should know that dressing a certain way makes you look like a thug. He should have been wearing a pinstriped, button-down shirt with a tie. Then he wouldn't have looked so suspicious."

That is what a highly educated, very wealthy retiree just told me.

This is an interesting article about the photos of both people:

[URL="http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/top-stories/168391/the-iconic-photos-of-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-why-you-may-not-see-the-others/"]The iconic photos of Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman & why you may not see the others[/URL]

Last edited by justNancy; 04-03-2012 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: fix grammar (high to highly)

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You don't need a law to permit you to follow someone.
So true...

But don't be surprised if someone feels threatened when you do and under the same law that Zimmerman is trying to hide behind turns around and defends themselves.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
I knew skittles and iced tea were near the body, but I didn't know it was the brother who mentioned tm going to the store and watching ballgame. The father didn't report tm missing until the next morning because he thought tm might have gone to a movie with his cousin.
That is what I heard/read early on, when the story first was in the news.

Lord only knows, everything has become twisted now...new accusations by zimmerman against Treyvon (to cover his butt, I'm sure) since much of what he is saying now was not in the original (take grain of salt with that) police report.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml
okay but shooting someone cuz ur getting ur ass kicked is total *****. if ur gonna confront someone at night and then in turn get attacked for it, u better man up and take ur beating like a champ. not a coward...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Or, you can act like a civilized human being, call the cops and report the harrassment, instead of becoming violent and assaulting someone. If you're being assaulted and have a legitmate fear of being killed or severely injured, you have a right to defend yourself. To say that you should take a beating and not defend yourself is asinine. You don't want to take the risk of being shot? DON'T ATTACK PEOPLE.
Absolutely! What a stupid comment, "u better man up and take ur beating like a champ". If someone knocks you to the ground and is beating your head against the concrete you should man up and take your beating. LOL How low of an IQ does someone need to have to think that is a good idea?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Something that someone has yet to explain to me: why would someone first run away to evade their stalker only to turn around and decide to assault that person, unless they were fearing for their own safety?
Perhaps because he was talking on his cell phone to his girlfriend and he wanted to show her what a big, tough man he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
A teenager who's minding his own business is being followed by an adult stranger, at night, in the rain, and in a neighborhood that is not his home. You can't tell me that wouldn't have put Martin in a worried state.
So that made it OK for him to attack the stranger and beat his head against the concrete? Because he was worried.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:22 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
You don't need a law to permit you to follow someone.
No. The name of the law is "Stand Your Ground".

Following is not 'standing your ground'.

Standing means you are not moving; not going forward or backward.

Following means, obviously, you are moving forward.

So, zimmerman invoking the Stand Your Ground law is inconsistent with his actions. In other words, he stalked and killed Trayvon. That's murder. The very moment he started following Trayvon, he lost his right to invoke the Stand Your Ground law!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
another neighbor chimes in.
^ huh, i thought this would have elicited a few comments. maybe if i did some creative bolding...

Quote:
George Zimmerman's Sanford, Fla., neighbor, said the neighborhood watchman protected his residence from a potential burglary several weeks before shooting Trayvon Martin.

Taaffe said that "young black males" were the perpetrators in the attempted robbery of his home. "We had eight burglaries in our neighborhood all perpetrated by young black males in the 15 months prior to Trayvon being shot," Taaffe said. "It would have been nine."

"It is what it is," he added. "I would go on record by stating that of the eight prior burglaries in the 15 months prior to the Trayvon Martin shooting, all of the perpetrators were young black males."

Zimmerman neighbor on robberies by 'young black men'

Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree, if you're talking about his mug shot, but in fairness to Zimmerman, the most common photo is from 2005 when he was booked for felony assault and not a fair image of the man in 2012. Unfortunately, it was the only photo available, because the latest one showing Zimmerman in a suit & tie smiling is copyrighted.

Trayvon is the victim, and he cannot speak from the grave, so I understand why his family wants to portray an image of a young, sweet kid. However, he was your typical 17 year old from Miami Gardens, who liked gangsta rap and wanted to look cool. That isn't a crime or even a reason to judge him. When I was in college, it was the "men with long hair" who were seen as anti-establishment. Unfortunately, the recent photos of Martin scare White people who agree they'd shoot an unarmed 17 year old, wearing a hoodie and a grill. I just heard this from a neighbor:

"Trayvon was a stupid kid. When you're Black, you should know that dressing a certain way makes you look like a thug. He should have been wearing a pinstriped, button-down shirt with a tie. Then he wouldn't have looked so suspicious."

That is what a high educated, very wealthy retiree just told me.

This is an interesting article about the photos of both people:

The iconic photos of Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman & why you may not see the others
...and in all fairness to Trayvon Martin, he might very well have been wearing that pinstriped shirt by the time he reached 28. Between the age of 17 and twenty boys grow up a lot. Although Zimmerman was living in a fantasy world of super heroes and getting by with help from daddy.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM

409 posts, read 254,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So true...

But don't be surprised if someone feels threatened when you do and under the same law that Zimmerman is trying to hide behind turns around and defends themselves.

you mean turns around and viciously assaults you?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Key word: may. You don't know this, so why speculate?
Because I was responding to a poster who asked what reason TM would have to attack GZ, and I listed the possibility that he may have no had a reason other that being pissed that he was being harrassed. I'm not speculating it's what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Even if Trayvon HAD called the police, they wouldn't have arrived in time, right? Because Zimmerman called before the confrontation and they hadn't arrived.

So, not really sure what your point is re: Trayvon calling 911.
They wouldn't have arrived "in time"? Are you suggesting that you know that GZ started the physical altercation? That if TM had responded that HE was calling the cops that GZ would have shot him before police arrived anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You witnessed Trayvon attacking zimmerman?
You got that from me responding that you have a right to defend yourself if being attacked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies