Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and in all fairness to Trayvon Martin, he might very well have been wearing that pinstriped shirt by the time he reached 28. Between the age of 17 and twenty boys grow up a lot. Although Zimmerman was living in a fantasy world of super heroes and getting by with help from daddy.
I hope you read my entire post. I was only saying that people have very warped views of others who are different, especially when they're from another age group or race. I totally agree with you that Trayvon Martin had every right to wear whatever he wanted.

I also was pointing out that mug shots often make a person look nasty, so that photo we see of Zimmerman automatically puts a bad image in our heads. The smiling guy in the suit doesn't look as much like a killer. I wasn't defending Zimmerman, but I was saying we need to be fair. It's the same as when I hear a politician I don't like, but realize an audio has been edited. There often is bias on both sides of the coin.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
President Obama made a short four or five sentence comment in response to a question by a reporter and only the Obama haters could see it as anything but a heartfelt (and somewhat constrained, I thought) response to a question.
i thought interjecting himself into the situation with "if i had a son, he would look like trayvon" was inappropriate.

i don't see that as helpful or pertinent in any way, but i don't want this thread to be about obama so i will leave it at that.

there are a lot of important issues involving this case, which should be the focus for all of us.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
He made 46 calls in 8 years. That's less than 6 calls a year.

And they went to a non-emergency number.
The reporting is that he made 46 calls to 911 in 15 months.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM

179 posts, read 156,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The reporting is that he made 46 calls to 911 in 15 months.
Nope. There was a typo initially. Just another egregious error in the media's zeal to lynch Zimmerman.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
He wasn't playing angry vigilante, he was fulfilling his role as Captain of the neighborhood watch program, helping to protect his neighborhood. He was not advised by the police for to not follow Martin, they told him they didn't need him to do that. But Zimmerman had reason to know that because or a recent incident when a suspected burglar he had called in was gone by the time the police showed up.
If you are in Neighborhood Watch, you know that you are NOT to follow or confront suspicious people. And Zimmerman was on the other side of the subdivision from where he lived, and was a self-appointed neighborhood watch captain of an unregistered neighborhood watch. His neighborhood might be better served by actually registering their neighborhood watch and getting training from the police on what to do/what not to do. Hint: Zimmerman is the poster boy for what NOT to do.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i thought interjecting himself into the situation with "if i had a son, he would look like trayvon" was inappropriate.
Apparently you ignored my post on this point when I pointed out that he was asked a question at a press conference, that he stated very neutrally that it wasn't his place to interfere in a criminal investigation and just like everybody else and their mother pointed out that he recognized that this was a "tragedy" and the fact that he could identify with Martin's parents is because he is a father, but of daughters, so to imagine the families grief he came to realize that his son would have look like Trayvon. To spin this any other way is just another case of ODD (Obama Derangement Disorder).

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM

179 posts, read 156,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hell 75% of the damn country used marijuana at sometime during and after high school.

Call me when you find that he was high on crack, pcp or meth at the time of this incident.

Talk about desperation.
Well, from his hacked facebook we know he abused codeine. He could have been going through withdrawals.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn
In addition, Martin was on school suspension for possession of a bag which had traces of marijuana in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hell 75% of the damn country used marijuana at sometime during and after high school.

Call me when you find that he was high on crack, pcp or meth at the time of this incident.

Talk about desperation.
My comment was clearly directed at the other posters statement that Zimmerman was more likely to be a drug user then Martin. That is clearly not the case.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
He wasn't playing angry vigilante, he was fulfilling his role as Captain of the neighborhood watch program, helping to protect his neighborhood. He was not advised by the police to not follow Martin, they told him they didn't need him to do that. But Zimmerman had reason to know that because or a recent incident when a suspected burglar he had called in was gone by the time the police showed up.
Then you must have read the rules which clearly state that at no time should a member of the Neighborhood Watch Patrol carry a weapon or approach a suspicious person. Do you know what the word w-a-t-c-h means?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:53 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Martin was shot while on top of Zimmerman trying to wrestle the gun out of his hand.
You were there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies