Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And you really think this man's actions were the best way to handle the situation? Really? Nothing else he could have reasonably done to dissuade these kids from burglarizing his home short of shooting and killing a 14 year old?
Its not my job to put my life in danger teaching someone else's sex trophy how to be a good citizen without breaking the law. My job is to protect my family, I take that job very seriously, I don't take chances with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So once you engage in criminal acts you become an adult? Does this moronic rule apply 10 year olds? 9 year olds?
At 14 you know damned well that its wrong to kick in the door of a home.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
So you do think shooting and killing this kid was this man's best and/or only option? Really?
I don't think it is the victims responsibility to consider such. Maybe the attacker should have considered such before they committed their crime, I mean, considering the entire incident was 100% under their discretion? Ya think? Maybe?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm sure if the homeowner said "I have a gun" and shot a warning, they would have run away. Then the police could deal with them. I would only take a life if I thought there was no other choice. Then I'd pray for forgiveness. I guess all the good Christians who support gun violence forgot one of the Commandments. At least in this case, the man was in his own home. I'm not psychic, but every bone in my body tells me Rakin was referring to the Zimmerman-Martin case. The difference is, that teenager who was shot wasn't breaking into the shooter's house.

Still, I can't understand how people can have such a cavalier attitude when a 14 year old is shot to death. I can only speak for me, but it makes me sad when any life is taken.
He was well on his way to prison anyway, saved the taxpayer. Every homeowner should be armed, crime would be cut in half.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Sound familiar to What????

Who would not shoot and kill an intruder?

I imagine you mean it sounds familiar to stalking kids in hoodies.
More homeowners that are armed, means less neighborhood watchmen. You decide.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Zimmerman was itchin for a fight. Trayvon didn't know he had a gun.

Trayvon was unlucky in most regards.
Lies.
Zimmerman got jumped as he was going back to his car, after looking at the address.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
Unfortunate that the young man died. But the homeowner was 100% within his rights. When someone kicks in your door and breaks in, the homeowner rarely has time to check the bad guy's ID to see how old he is. Do the crime, expect possible consequences. The Castle Doctrine at work. Hopefully this will serve as a deterrent to other would be thieves.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Nah, someone like me who doesn't think killing someone is the answer to every annoyance isn't a bleeding heart. We have guns in this house. However, I believe if you can retreat, then no possession I have is equal to a life. (except my own) Read the story. It clearly says that the teenagers first rang the door bell and then went around to the back of the house. I'm sure the homeowner was just itching to shoot them. I am in no way defending kids who break into homes. I'm only saying if they were unarmed (and we don't know that) and only 13 and 14, they would have been frightened away by a man with a gun.
Right, to go after some other persons possessions.
If we could hold parents accountable for the crimes of their children, we might be able to nip this da bud.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:56 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Quote:
So you do think shooting and killing this kid was this man's best and/or only option? Really?
If the home owner had an alarm system with a panic button, sure he could have hit that and hoped they would run. I'm sure he didn't, this was a poor neighborhood. He could have run out the front door (if physically able) and hoped that the intruders didn't shoot him in the back. If the home owner was outside, he could have fired a warning shot, but he wasn't. Point is, unknown persons kicked in his back door and were entering his home. In more cases than not, these intruders beat you up, rape you, torture you or kill you. The man had every right to blast away. I'm sure he's not happy about what happened, no one would be. The three boys had prior records, what exactly we don't know. The dead kid was 14 yet only in the seventh grade. A school official said they left the school with the intention to rob a house, I assume he knew them well or their classmates are ratting them out. Sad story.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,343 times
Unfavorable result, for sure.

Crime only pays if it's with your life. Stay in school, kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies