Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Very sad indeed that people possess such blood lust that they celebrate the death of 14 year olds. Doesn't surprise me however, not one bit.
Or they are celebrating the fact that the homeowner was not made into a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Nothing to see here folks, people should be able to defend their property
Are you saying that an armchair or laptop is worth more than a child's life??????

Wow.

Peace,
brian

Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually I bet they dont. Criminals only care about the law when its in their favor to do so.
What they probably wish is that they had shot the man through the door before kicking it.
They're probqbly collaborating with a shyster lawyer on a law suit right now.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Are you saying that an armchair or laptop is worth more than a child's life??????

Wow.

Peace,
brian
Maybe they are saying that a homeowners right to live in peace is worth more than a criminals life.
Child? Please define child.
Child to me is preteen or early teen who is still innocent. Innocent of evil, and innocent of malice.
It would appear that the criminal in this case was niether innocent nor free of malice.
The criminal certainly had no respect for anothers right to live in peace in their own home.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
So after 9 pages of posts and no mention of race is it safe to assume both the homeowner and the criminal in training are of the same race?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm sure if the homeowner said "I have a gun" and shot a warning, they would have run away. Then the police could deal with them. I would only take a life if I thought there was no other choice. Then I'd pray for forgiveness. I guess all the good Christians who support gun violence forgot one of the Commandments. At least in this case, the man was in his own home. I'm not psychic, but every bone in my body tells me Rakin was referring to the Zimmerman-Martin case. The difference is, that teenager who was shot wasn't breaking into the shooter's house.

Still, I can't understand how people can have such a cavalier attitude when a 14 year old is shot to death. I can only speak for me, but it makes me sad when any life is taken.
Is there a reason you brought 'good Christians' into the conversation other than to rap Christians who protect themselves. You call that 'supporting gun violence.' BTW, I didn't notive the shooter's religion in the article.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:12 AM

1,332 posts, read 995,332 times
Quote:
I'm sure if the homeowner said "I have a gun" and shot a warning, they would have run away. Then the police could deal with them. I would only take a life if I thought there was no other choice. Then I'd pray for forgiveness. I guess all the good Christians who support gun violence forgot one of the Commandments. At least in this case, the man was in his own home. I'm not psychic, but every bone in my body tells me Rakin was referring to the Zimmerman-Martin case. The difference is, that teenager who was shot wasn't breaking into the shooter's house.

Still, I can't understand how people can have such a cavalier attitude when a 14 year old is shot to death. I can only speak for me, but it makes me sad when any life is taken.
I understand your thoughts. But...you must understand that when one is faced with the reality of a break in, and not knowing what is going to happen, a decision has to be made in a split second. Not a lot of time to think of the 10 commandments or anything else.

I fully understand why this man shot this intruder. And I don't call him a kid...I call him an intruder. He was there to take what was not his, and was doing so forcefully. Now...what would these kids have done if faced with a homeowner? Well...who knows? Maybe run away..maybe attack and kill him...and if a woman was present?? Maybe rape her first. Don't think it's never happened with kids this age....it has.

The fact is that there is no way of knowing what the full intent of a criminal is when you confront one. Your way would be to roll the dice Nancy....I would not be willing to take that chance...just as this man in Dallas wasn't.

More food for thought...let's say this man fired a warning shot and it chased these hoodlums away. Who is to say they would not be back...only ARMED this time? Who is to say that these kids were not part of a gang who might ALL come back some time? You don't know...and none of us know what we would do unless faced with that choice. I certainly don't envy that man in Dallas...it must be a hard thing to take the life of anyone. But I believe he did what he felt he had to do...without malicious intent...meaning only to protect himself, his porperty, and his family. For the courage it took for him to make that choice...I support him.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 AM

1,332 posts, read 995,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Wow.

Peace,
brian
I think that one thing has to be said Brian...you have no idea what the intent of those 3 criminals might have been. Neither do I. And certainly, neither did the homeowner.

Now...are YOU saying that the homeowner should have just stepped aside and let these hoodlums come in and take whatever they wanted?? And what would happen if they found him & his son there? How would the homeowner have any way of knowing that they were not armed? OR even what their reaction would be when they found him there? Would YOU have taken such a chance?

Bottom line....you have no way of knowing what you would do unless faced with it. When you have a split second to decide and YOU make the decision to not fire and let them take what they want, then come back here and criticize others who have been faxced with what YOU have been faced with and made a different decision than you did. Until then, your criticism is baseless.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Edward... funny thing there has been no mention in the race of the shooter. Maybe it's the news realizing we are all people and race is not a factor. If you look at the pic of the young teen you see the fresh face of innocence. If the facts were more vague it would be very easy to turn this into a story similar to the recent Florida shooting.

Followup story:

Dallas teen's death should send a message, neighbor says | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Quote:
Luis should have been in a seventh grade classroom at 11 a.m., but he and two friends had apparently skipped school.

They ended up at a home in the 7300 block of Vallejo Drive. Police said the three teens rang the doorbell at the home of 51-year-old Lee Cobler. Cobler and his 25-year-old son were home, but did not answer the door. The men called 911 as the boys allegedly kicked in the back door of the residence.

Cobler was armed. He fired his gun at the teens, and Luis Avila was killed. The other young suspects ran from the scene, but were captured nearby.
Police say Cobler's actions will be reviewed by a grand jury, but it appears he acted in self-defense.

Shirley Stark of the Piedmont Scyene Homeowners' Association said Cobler is an active member of the group who regularly patrolled the streets. She said the neighborhood had been experiencing an increase in crime recently, and she believes it is associated with nearby Hood Middle School.

"I'm hoping this is a message to young people that this could happen to any of them," she said. "They need to stop breaking into houses."

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Quote:
Nah, someone like me who doesn't think killing someone is the answer to every annoyance isn't a bleeding heart. We have guns in this house. However, I believe if you can retreat, then no possession I have is equal to a life. (except my own) Read the story. It clearly says that the teenagers first rang the door bell and then went around to the back of the house. I'm sure the homeowner was just itching to shoot them. I am in no way defending kids who break into homes. I'm only saying if they were unarmed (and we don't know that) and only 13 and 14, they would have been frightened away by a man with a gun.
You're sure, eh? It must be nice to be psychic. Can you please post the wining powerball numbers for the week?
BTW: It's people like you who are "sure" of other people's intent and what happened that are throwing gas on the flames in cases like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies