Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The police report says that none of the 3 teenagers were armed. I am not condoning criminal behavior, but he didn't answer the door and then shot them when they went to the back. Who knows what really happened?
How can you fault this man for protecting his home when his young son was in it and on the phone to 911 at the very time?

I've got news for you Nancy, it doesn't take an armed person to pose a lethal threat.

Maybe if you are ever in the situation this woman was today you'll change your tune.

Police ID armed intruder shot to death by resident - KansasCity.com

Quote:
A woman fatally shot the 17-year-old Kansas City resident Monday afternoon after he and another teenager forced their way into her home .........

The woman told police she was home alone when the two teens came to the door looking for someone else. When she opened the door, they put a gun to her head and forced her back inside.
One gunman ordered her into a closet. When he turned to say something to the other gunman, she grabbed a gun that was in the closet and shot Garms, police said.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
While it would seem like the homeowner had time to call out a warning "I have a gun and have called the police. If you try to enter, I will shoot you",

He was under no obligation to do this. If any of the teens had been armed, this type of proclamation could have started a gun battle.

I don't own a gun, but if I did, I would be hard pressed not to kill a home intruder. Not to protect my property (I would never intentionally kill someone over property), but because I would fear that they intended to do me and my family harm.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
The police report says that none of the 3 teenagers were armed. I am not condoning criminal behavior, but he didn't answer the door and then shot them when they went to the back. Who knows what really happened?
Uhm I am laughing here. Thank you for that.
They kicked his back door in and your concerned that he didn't answer the front door?
These kids were not Wally and Beaver Cleaver. They were not the Brady boy's.
They were not fat Albert and the gang.
They were criminals who break into homes. breaking into other peoples homes can be a dangerous business.
That might be why good honest people don't do these kinds of things.
Yes it is sad that a 14 year old's life was wasted due to extremely poor parenting.
The good news is that the homeowner was not injured.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
While it would seem like the homeowner had time to call out a warning "I have a gun and have called the police. If you try to enter, I will shoot you",

He was under no obligation to do this. If any of the teens had been armed, this type of proclamation could have started a gun battle.

I don't own a gun, but if I did, I would be hard pressed not to kill a home intruder. Not to protect my property (I would never intentionally kill someone over property), but because I would fear that they intended to do me and my family harm.
Yep, and you would still probably be alive in that scenario, rather than plundered and/or murdered.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How can you fault this man for protecting his home when his young son was in it and on the phone to 911 at the very time?

I've got news for you Nancy, it doesn't take an armed person to pose a lethal threat.

Maybe if you are ever in the situation this woman was today you'll change your tune.

Police ID armed intruder shot to death by resident - KansasCity.com
Wow, we actually agree on something.

If I'm at home minding my own business and find you inside uninvited, well this IS Texas...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times
Quote:
"...but he didn't answer the door.." So what? I hate uninvited guests and seldom answer my door too.

Your posts seem to read as if the homeowner didn't answer his door and was, therefore, itching for a gun fight.

As for the police saying none of the teens were armed, it's great to know that AFTER the fact. I highly doubt these thugs announced, "We're not armed!" as they were kicking down the door.

Last edited by CheyDee; 04-10-2012 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Actually you are in a way condoning criminal behavior by even questioning this man's method and right to defend himself, his family and his home.

This is pretty simple if you think about it, If you don't want to get shot don't kick in the back door of a house that doesn't belong to you. End of story.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
This is a very sad story, he should have gotten at least 2 of them.
So more deaths make you happy? How touching.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So more deaths make you happy? How touching.
Dead criminals always make me happy, especially when they specifically made the choices that lead to their lives ending.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
[quote=justNancy;23787887]I'm sure if the homeowner said "I have a gun" and shot a warning, they would have run away.

Do they have dancing bears in your fantasy world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies