Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
I don't fault the homeowner, but this is not my idea of beautiful story with a happy ending.
Never said beautiful story. I did sat happy ending. Happy because the homeowner didn't join the ranks of thousands of victims who have fallen to criminals.
I do feel sorry for the child that was wasted when his parents failed to teach right from wrong. I feel sad for the lost future and potential of a young man who decided that robbing another was a better path than earning it honestly. I feel sad that our society seeks to excuse the criminal and make excuses for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I see nothing wrong here........

Of course the parents will say he was a good boy and didnt deserve to die
I'd do the same if I was in the owners shoe, however, I doubt I'd be rejoicing and celebrating killing a 14 year old, like some are suggesting.

Let's party, a 14 year old is dead

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Shirley Starks of a home owners association...commented and to para phrase...."Mr Cobler made the right choice (firing his gun) in protecting his CHILD".....

Meanwhile the local media state that Cobler was at home with his ADULT son...already things are getting twisted and that protecting the babies thing is coming out....when there was no child in the house...
Sorry, but Congress recently passed, and the President of the United States signed into law, a bill stating clearly that our progeny up to AGE 26 are to be considered children, and can remain on their parents' health insurance plans through that age.

If you don't want this man's son to be considered a child, go tell it to the Congress and the President, and try to get them to repeal that law they passed and signed.

Until they do, he is a CHILD.

The leftists should have been careful what they wished for. We now have added reason to defend us and ours, not that we didn't before, signed and sealed by the U.S. Congress and the President... whether the leftists wanted us to defend our homes or not.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm sure if the homeowner said "I have a gun" and shot a warning, they would have run away.
Let me get this straight.

These guys had already kicked his door open and were coming in. He had no way of knowing if they were armed, with homicidal intent, and he needed to protect himself and his family from WHATEVER came through that door. And he had zero seconds to decide what they were and what they intended.

And you are saying that he should give them a chance, be nice to them, EXPLAIN to them what the situation was... thus giving them a chance to pin him down, even shoot him if they were armed (a very real possibility)???

All because **YOU** are sure they would have run away?

I'm not sure I've ever seen such an arrogant, conceited, and astonishingly delusional exhibit of wishful thinking in this forum before. And I've seen an awful lot of stupid things here.

Please tell me you don't vote. And have never voted. And never will.

If fruit loops like you ever start exercising the sovereign franchise, and imposing your weird dreams on the rest of us by force of law, God help us all.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
I'm sure if the homeowner said "I have a gun" and shot a warning, they would have run away. Then the police could deal with them. I would only take a life if I thought there was no other choice. Then I'd pray for forgiveness. I guess all the good Christians who support gun violence forgot one of the Commandments. At least in this case, the man was in his own home. I'm not psychic, but every bone in my body tells me Rakin was referring to the Zimmerman-Martin case. The difference is, that teenager who was shot wasn't breaking into the shooter's house.

Still, I can't understand how people can have such a cavalier attitude when a 14 year old is shot to death. I can only speak for me, but it makes me sad when any life is taken.
Really? When a homeowner shoots someone who has broken into his/her home while the homeowner is in the home it is usually not considered murder. (Reference to the commandment: "thou shall not murder".)

It is only your assumption that there is a cavalier additude. I suspect the homeowner is very saddened that the teen placed him in such a position as to have to defend his home/his life.

No, you are not a psychic.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
ITS AN ATTEMPTED BREAK IN.

Not just walking down the street after buying a canned tea and some candy for christs sake.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
I'm sure if the homeowner said "I have a gun" and shot a warning, they would have run away. Then the police could deal with them. I would only take a life if I thought there was no other choice. Then I'd pray for forgiveness. I guess all the good Christians who support gun violence forgot one of the Commandments. At least in this case, the man was in his own home. I'm not psychic, but every bone in my body tells me Rakin was referring to the Zimmerman-Martin case. The difference is, that teenager who was shot wasn't breaking into the shooter's house.

Still, I can't understand how people can have such a cavalier attitude when a 14 year old is shot to death. I can only speak for me, but it makes me sad when any life is taken.
The problem is, these days 13/14 year old's are killing, raping and murdering people. What you are asking is for someone to endanger their own lives to give the benefit of the doubt to their attacker to which they have absolutely no clue of their intent. Also keep in mind that in these situations, seconds count and you can't expect the average citizen to make complex evaluations in this time when their own safety is on the line, it is inconsiderate of their safety to expect them to.

There is one thing that could have changed the outcome of this situation and it is the only thing that should be considered here; that is the children and their parents could have made decisions and taken steps so they did not place themsleves into such a terrible situation. The home owner wasn't looking to kill someone, those kids had every opportunity to avoid such a scenario, but they chose specifically to endanger themselves by committing a crime that often includes violent crimes on the home owner.

They had to learn an adult lesson that should have been taught to them by their parents. It is unfortunate, but it is a lesson they learned at a very high price.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Dumb ass kids got shot. So what?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
This is a very sad story, he should have gotten at least 2 of them.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Maybe because most people know that if they hesitate they only give the intruder an opportunity to shoot them first. Who's life takes precedence the homeowner or the intruder? During home invasions, should homeowners allow intruders a free shot for the sake of fairness? If the punk didn't want to open himself up to the possibility of being shot, he shouldn't have broken into someone else's home.
The police report says that none of the 3 teenagers were armed. I am not condoning criminal behavior, but he didn't answer the door and then shot them when they went to the back. Who knows what really happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies