Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I lived in the Bronx for 2 years, and had the opposite experience. As a baseball fan, I attended many night Yankee games, and used the D train. I attended many Mets games, using the D to the 7. On a few occasions, I fell asleep on Metro North trains from Stamford-Fordham where I went to college, and being young with lots of energy, on a few occasions, I awoke at 125th and walked back. No one ever bothered me; some helped when I asked directions. 125th, 161th where Yankee Stadium stop was, 190th aka Fordham Road, are not exactly white neighborhoods. But in 2 years at school and dozens of visits back to the Bronx, I was bothered 0 times.
You went to the Mets games! Now that could have gotten you in some real trouble in Da Bronx

Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 AM

566 posts, read 958,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'll bet the defense can also find 2-3 voice experts that says the voice is GZ on that tape.
Well, if they can, then this case will be over in a month or two as that would prove that the shooting was in self-defense. However, if they can't, Zimmerman is toast.

Finding voice experts who can scientifically conclude that Zimmerman is the one yelling for help should probably be the top priority for his new attorney as that's what makes or breaks his self defense claim.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
And before that you had Slavery... ... that's kind of like, a game-changer... Black Republicans... mostly... 85% two parent households... I think it would take more than welfare to deep six a smooth roll like that. Lincoln was Republican, if Republicans ever field someone like Lincoln again the party might pick up a few more black members.

H
And WELL before that a hundred more years you had slavery.
The game changer away from black Republicans with 85% two parent households was the invention of social programs.
Mind you the Democrats who created that were then your current KKK, the ones hosing kids out of schools with whites and the ones putting all the abortion mills in mostly black neighborhoods to kill black children.

Republicans never left blacks, the blacks sold their souls for 30 pieces of silver to the Democrats.

You get busted families with no dad in the house and you get kids with lots of troubles, suspensions and a burglary tool in their book bag.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It is entirely possible that Zimmerman's marriage wasn't in the best of health prior to this incident. Talk about a straw breaking a camel's back. It is very likely over as we speak. I mean... really. Given what we know about GZ... what are the chances that his wife is ready to take a bullet for him?

H
Would your wife plaster her face all over the TV with all the crazies calling out for blood in their mobs?

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-14-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
This case is very unfortunate, mainly because the entire thing could have been avoided multiple times. It could have been avoided if Zimmerman had just waited for the police instead of accosting Trayvon, but it also could have been avoided if Trayvon simply said "I'm just coming back from the store (showing the bag of skittles and iced tea), I live up the street with my dad and his gf" when asked what he was doing there, which probably would have defused the situation completely.

Sad situation all around.

It's just so tragic!!! Split second decisions ended a young vibrant life!!!

The chain of events were set in motion, once both GZ & TM stepped out their doors that tragic night...Ever see the movie "Crash"?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
This case is very unfortunate, mainly because the entire thing could have been avoided multiple times. It could have been avoided if Zimmerman had just waited for the police instead of accosting Trayvon, but it also could have been avoided if Trayvon simply said "I'm just coming back from the store (showing the bag of skittles and iced tea), I live up the street with my dad and his gf" when asked what he was doing there, which probably would have defused the situation completely.

Sad situation all around.
Zimmerman was waiting for the police, reported to 911 that Martin ran off. Zimmerman did not drag Trayvon back.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Self defense is the primary defense.

Trayvon was reported as running off.
Zimmerman was on the phone with 911 and asked for an officer to report this to.
A short time later Zimmerman is spotted with Trayvon on top beating the living hell out of him.
Not being able to back away, broken nose, cut head and reported head being banged into the ground...Zimmerman at that point figured IMO that if he passed out Trayvon would kill him the way it was going.
Zimmerman shot only once. Stopped Trayvon who died.
Self defense also based on physical evidence and witnesses before the shooting.

This right now is a political show trial.

If Zimmerman could get his gun out of the holster to fire it, why didn't he just pistol-whip the kid? If Martin was punching Zimmerman and beating his head against concrete, why were there no scrapes or bruises evident on Martin's hands at the funeral home? Zimmerman's story has many holes; now we'll see what the prosecution can do about filling them in.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:15 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Trayvon's girlfriend heard the initial exchange between them, and from what we know that she's said Trayvon asked "Why are you following me?"
That's a reasonable question, and not phrased in a way that would indicate that Martin had doubled back. Plus, he was clearly nervous if not afraid that he was being followed. If he'd made it that last 70 yards, it seems reasonable that he'd have been more than happy to go inside. But you don't know where Zimmerman waited for police...you have only his word, and his veracity is questionable. Zimmerman's vehicle was on the road, whereas he and Trayvon's body were found at the designated spot on the map. My thinking on Zimmerman not apologizing is that it indicates a lack of remorse, which most people would feel after killing a teenager even in self-defense. Instead the Zimmermans have gone on the offensive. Regardless, all of this could have been avoided had Zimmerman
simply remained in his vehicle and waited for the police to arrive. IMO, it's the first of several cases of poor judgment on Zimmerman's part. We shall see how it proceeds.
There are lots of unanswered questions, I agree. And I don't say that the shooting was self defense. But given the short distance involved (about 300 feet) between the start of Zimmerman's call and the shooting, and that there was a 15 minute time frame involved(based on the CNN article you provided), and that given that Martin had a head start...how is it possible that he could not have made it the 300 feet to his house in that timeframe? That's the kicker for me, and why I believe that Zimmerman must have stopped at some point for several minutes. And that Martin did not retreate to his house if he felt threatened.

Quote:
But you don't know where Zimmerman waited for police...you have only his word, and his veracity is questionable. Zimmerman's vehicle was on the road, whereas he and Trayvon's body were found at the designated spot on the map.
Fair question. Zimmerman reported himself in that position (E on the map) while on the phone to police, about 3 minutes into his 911 call. Why would he lie at that point, knowing the police could be there litterally any second? He was right next to a main street. We heard him stop running and talking with dispatcher in a non-winded voice, after he followed the direction "we don't need you to do that". He was either standing or walking slowly at this point, based the call. The shooting took place between this point and his vehicle (actually just slightly off the straight line track) and was ~10 minutes later, and only 30 feet or so from point E. 30 feet...10 minutes. He clearly wasn't going anywhere fast. Consistent with his story that he was waiting for police then started walking to his rig. Further, he stopped at point E about 1:20 before the end of the phone call. Over one minute while on the phone, and only about 200 feet from Martin's door. We know from the call that Zimmerman was not confronting M during that time. How is it possible that M couldn't make it the 200 feet home in that time, let alone the next 10 or so minutes?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-14-2012 at 02:28 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It's just so tragic!!! Split second decisions ended a young vibrant life!!!

The chain of events were set in motion, once both GZ & TM stepped out their doors that tragic night...Ever see the movie "Crash"?
Did you mean violent and not vibrant?
Zimmerman already reported Martin ran off, was waiting for police and while going back to his car Trayvon confronted and beat up Zimmerman.
Does sound more violent than vibrant to me.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
If Zimmerman could get his gun out of the holster to fire it, why didn't he just pistol-whip the kid? If Martin was punching Zimmerman and beating his head against concrete, why were there no scrapes or bruises evident on Martin's hands at the funeral home? Zimmerman's story has many holes; now we'll see what the prosecution can do about filling them in.
Martin was a 6' 3" football player in shape, Zimmerman was a 5'9" dough boy.

Martin was in control beating the hell out of Zimmerman. According to Zimmerman's dad, Trayvon was threatening to kill George and was even fighting for the gun.

Zimmerman had witnesses, broken nose, cuts to the back of the head, grass stains on his back.
Martin had no bruises and was a big guy in shape.
The witness John was reported to tell Trayvon to stop beating on George before the shot went off.
I think most of this is spot on.
Trayvon's girlfriend was speaking to Trayvon before he ran away from George and came back. She reported nothing related to the shooting at the time of the death.
I think this is an old fashioned self defense case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies