Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well earning around 800K puts him in the evil 1% so he should have his taxes raised according to him. How is 20% fair to the rest of us saps? Where are the occupy folks? Why aren't they demanding he give them some of his money?

If it was about the "evil 1%" wouldn't the Buffet Rule be for people in the 1% and not just making above $1 million?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Obama paid a tax rate 20.5% in taxes how will they swing that attack on Romney.... He won't be able to OBAMA made almost 800,000. last year....
If he wanted to he could volunteer to pay more but we know how the liberals don't like to use their own money for things.
Book sales are dropping Gee I wonder why. Could it be the books are full of a bunch of lies and is racist against even his own white grandmother
1) Book sales drop. They always do.
2) 22% of his income went to charitable causes. That ends up lowering your tax rate.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Well I see nobody stopping him from contributing more to the kitty. Why won't he write a check to the treasury like the previous poster says?? Or is he just a hypocrite? I think we both know the answer.

We all play by the current laws as they are. Same with the SuperPACs. He doesn't agree with them but as long as that is what is in play, that's how you play the game.

I don't agree with much of the tax code but that's what we have right now and I will work within the system as much as possible.

It's really such a stupid argument to say people who complain about the tax code should just send in more. You play by the rules and you work to change the system.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
1) Book sales drop. They always do.
2) 22% of his income went to charitable causes. That ends up lowering your tax rate.
Yeah, he gets a deduction for the amount he gave to charity. In Obamaspeak, that is a subsidy. So he gets a federal subsidy that lowers his effective tax rate.

I just wonder if 20.5% is considered "fair" and if he pays a higher effective rate than his secretary?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No wonder he's doing a horrible job as president. He's terrible with his own money. He should have his money in places that minimize his tax burden. Dope.

I think Presidents lead by example in re taxes. Can you imagine the furor if a president was using a bunch of aggressive tax avoidence loopholes?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I think Presidents lead by example in re taxes. Can you imagine the furor if a president was using a bunch of aggressive tax avoidence loopholes?
Obama derides the oil industry's federal "subsidies" which are nothing more than tax deductions allowable under the Internal Revenue Code.

Yet he gives to charities and deducts the gifts, which is also allowable under the Internal Revenue Code.

But is allowing a couple with income approaching $1 million to get these federal tax subsidies "fair"?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yeah, he gets a deduction for the amount he gave to charity. In Obamaspeak, that is a subsidy. So he gets a federal subsidy that lowers his effective tax rate.

I just wonder if 20.5% is considered "fair" and if he pays a higher effective rate than his secretary?
And if he didn't donate to charitable organizations people would be complaining that he was a cheapskate but his effective tax rate would definitely be higher?

Regardless of anything he paid a higher tax% and donated a high% of income as compared to Romney who is estimated to have made more than 20 times as much money. Here is the catch. I don't give a crap about either because both did what our current tax laws allow us to do. If it's legal who cares?

Romney refuses to give up tax records prior to 2010 for a reason. Most likely it's from paying no taxes but that remains to be seen. He has also not filed his 2011 taxes either. Sounds fishy.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Well I see nobody stopping him from contributing more to the kitty. Why won't he write a check to the treasury like the previous poster says?? Or is he just a hypocrite? I think we both know the answer.
Does this make Romney ten times the hypocrite?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Here is the catch. I don't give a crap about either because both did what our current tax laws allow us to do. If it's legal who cares?
But it is about "fairness" and what is "fair." Obama is running on it. Cripes, the democrat senator from my home state of Missouri, Claire McCaskill, just went on a "fairness tour".

It's their issue, we should be entitled to explore what is "fair."

Is it fair that the Obamas, with income approaching $1 million, use federal tax subsidies to lower their effective tax rate to 20.5%?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I don't hate it, I want to know exacty what is "fair."

To me, "fair" is paying the lowest amount you can within the current tax laws. I'm not the one making judgments about what is "fair" and what is not "fair."

He spends quite a bit of time talking about it now, so I wonder if 20.5% is "fair." I also wonder if it is a higher effective rate than his secretary.
I haven't seen one Obama lover mention the word fair up to now. Maybe they can't read hard words like that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies