Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Isn't a family that has to foreclose on their house worse for the country than 100 Section 8 folks?

I'm sure folks can help them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of uber wealthy slum landlords that would object to that. You might want to get rid of any REITs you might have, their NAV will fall off a cliff if mittens gets his way.
Not to mention that the latest trend is for private equity is to by bundles of bank foreclosed homes as REOs and then renovate them and turn them into rental properties.

Those are some of Willard's best friends and biggest campaign backers. He'd never do it.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It doesn't really matter much to me what some politician says, I will NEVER - under ANY circumstances - rent to a Section 8 tenant. It's a 100% guarantee that they're going to destroy the house.

I'll sell all my properties before I'll EVER do that.
I live next door to a house the rents to Section 8 tenants - and you are exactly right. We have had 3 different families rent there since we have been in our house. The back yard is a wreck. The kids are bad. The households are run by women who take care of her kids, and her kids' kids. They usually have dogs that roam the cul-de-sac.

The current family had a cousin (7 yr. old) killed in the garage because he stood in a puddle of water and touched metal.

I could go on...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Yeah, lets make 'em all live under the bridges, or better yet, build shanty towns like Haiti.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Is there any evidence of that ever happening?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I live next door to a house the rents to Section 8 tenants - and you are exactly right. We have had 3 different families rent there since we have been in our house. The back yard is a wreck. The kids are bad. The households are run by women who take care of her kids, and her kids' kids. They usually have dogs that roam the cul-de-sac.

The current family had a cousin (7 yr. old) killed in the garage because he stood in a puddle of water and touched metal.

I could go on...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM

If push comes to shove, and we are stuck with programs like this----I think these folks should rent next to the politicians who support this. Food for thought.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post

Section 8 is a scam to shift the riff raff (I used to be one of 'em, btw---Elyton PJs represent!!!) to surrounding areas, while taking former PJ property and turning into high-end condos.
This is my opinion. If you guys haven't noticed, they are always shifting poor people around. What is going on now? Inner cities are being redeveloped, what happens to the poor, they get jettisoned to the "suburbs." Its a cycle, in about 30 more years the reverse is going to happen. It goes white flight, black middle class flight, poor people.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I hope Mitt Romney is elected and abolishes HUD. Section 8 is an awful program and needs to be dismantled. Nice areas are turning into slums because of Section 8 residents not to mention crime and school quality deteriorates.

Of course Obama made things worse.

James Bovard: Raising Hell in Subsidized Housing - WSJ.com
Governors do not have that power and he will not become President, so much for that thought.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Maybe they don't have an in but they are disproportionate voucher users. Anytime a waiting list opens up the lines are overwhelmingly Black even in cities where Blacks make up a fraction of the population. Not for nothing it is black section 8 holders who are spreading crime and their nonsense to formerly nice hoods. Then cry racism when they are called on it. The problem is a lot of the people calling them out are also black.
LOL man this is so true and unfortunate.

It is a cold reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies