Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Now there's another web site for raising money.

George Zimmerman Legal Fund

I just wanted to make sure that all of those who support shooting unarmed teenagers walking around drinking iced tea get out their checkbooks. Maybe if there's enough money raised, by next year Zimmerman can buy a tank for his NW patrol.
No way was I donating to a gz defense fund, but you put it so eloquently --- 'support shooting unarmed teenagers walking around drinking iced tea' --- who can resist such a noble cause. If you come across any other defense funds for defendants who kill unarmed teens drinking iced tea [or eating Skittles] please post link.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I certainly would have pulled my arm away and warned him, maybe have my hand on my pistol. I think a lot depends whether or not Trayvon was up to no good. The prosecution has to work hard to disprove Z's story, I don't know if he/she can.
Ghostrider, Trayvon Martin didn't have a pistol...just iced tea and Skittles.
And to date, no one has suggested that Trayvon Martin was doing anything but walking back to the house he was visiting, talking to his girlfriend on the phone. Zimmerman assumed that Trayvon was "up to no good," but even in the call that Zimmerman made, he didn't say that he'd
seen Trayvon doing anything other than walking slowly and "looking about." That's perfectly legal. Martin had been watching the NBA All Star Game and went to the convenience store...that seems like very normal activity for anyone. Here's a timeline posted by justNancy that covers the activity of both parties according to Zimmerman's call. If you read it, you'll see that things happened very quickly. It's the best job that I've seen yet of coordinating the 911 calls and the outcome.

Minute-by-Minute Timeline of Trayvon Martin’s Death | The View From LL2

Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
He brought it on himself? The Jim Crow laws are gone and Martin was within his rights to walk down the street without being stalked. Even if he whistled at a white woman like Emmitt Till.
You left out his attack on Zimmermen. You do not have the right to attack a neighborhood watchman.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
And to date, no one has suggested that Trayvon Martin was doing anything but walking back to the house he was visiting, talking to his girlfriend on the phone. Zimmerman assumed that Trayvon was "up to no good," but even in the call that Zimmerman made, he didn't say that he'd
seen Trayvon doing anything other than walking slowly and "looking about." That's perfectly legal. Martin had been watching the NBA All Star Game and went to the convenience store...that seems like very normal activity for anyone. Here's a timeline posted by justNancy that covers the activity of both parties according to Zimmerman's call. If you read it, you'll see that things happened very quickly. It's the best job that I've seen yet of coordinating the 911 calls and the outcome.

This is a very interesting read:

The Statutory Basis of the Murder Charge Against George Zimmerman and His Available Defenses Under Florida Law | The View From LL2

Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

It's entirely possible, IMO, that Trayvon was "looking around" because he was trying to find his way to the correct apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You left out his attack on Zimmermen. You do not have the right to attack a neighborhood watchman.
We. do. not. know. who. started. the. altercation. If Zimmerman was on-duty as neighborhood watchman, he was violating their rules. But wait, he was going to Target! But wait, he was doing something else! His story is the sketchy one.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
check out this analysis of what Zimmerman could and could not do by law:

The Statutory Basis of the Murder Charge Against George Zimmerman and His Available Defenses Under Florida Law | The View From LL2

Old 04-29-2012, 08:06 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
He brought it on himself? The Jim Crow laws are gone and Martin was within his rights to walk down the street without being stalked. Even if he whistled at a white woman like Emmitt Till.
Well stated! At the end of the day Zimmerman had no right or authority to stalk anyone. Had he obeyed the policeman who told him it was not necessary for him to pursue Trayvon, none of this would have happened.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's entirely possible, IMO, that Trayvon was "looking around" because he was trying to find his way to the correct apartment.

We. do. not. know. who. started. the. altercation. If Zimmerman was on-duty as neighborhood watchman, he was violating their rules. But wait, he was going to Target! But wait, he was doing something else! His story is the sketchy one.
As for Trayvon looking around, he was talking on the phone with his gf and could have therefore been not really looking at anything at all but just walking slowly in order to continue his conversation in private before he got home. I know that sometimes if I'm on the phone in the grocery store, for example, I sort of walk aimlessly while finishing the conversation.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Oh.Yes.We.Do.

*cute* . NOT.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Well stated! At the end of the day Zimmerman had no right or authority to stalk anyone. Had he obeyed the policeman who told him it was not necessary for him to pursue Trayvon, none of this would have happened.
Bless your heart, you haven't comprehended a single thing about this story, have you!

Stalking? Policeman? OK, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies