Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,803,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This entire incident started because someone had the mistaken idea that a young black kid in a hoodie, walking home, minding his own business, was up to no good.

This is why the police instruct neighborhood watches to do just that - watch. Not to act. Not to confront. Just be alert and report suspicious activity. This is why neighborhood watches are instructed not to carry guns while on patrol.

Whatever the outcome of this sorry incident, perhaps we are capable of learning from it to avoid repetition.

Yeah. The same police who when visiting the scene of the burglary are extremely sceptical about their chances to ever find the perp or recover the property.
That's why we have neighborhood watches, the police can't simply keep up.
Police can also be accused of "racial profiling" while neighborhood watch can simply exercise common sense. Let's make something clear here: people participate in neighborhood watch because of crime and not so much for fun.

Last edited by rebel12; 06-14-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This entire incident started because someone had the mistaken idea that a young black kid in a hoodie, walking home, minding his own business, was up to no good.

This is why the police instruct neighborhood watches to do just that - watch. Not to act. Not to confront. Just be alert and report suspicious activity. This is why neighborhood watches are instructed not to carry guns while on patrol.

Whatever the outcome of this sorry incident, perhaps we are capable of learning from it to avoid repetition.
We don't really know what happened. Neighborhood watches, especially in the areas plagued by burglaries will always be on the watch for suspect looking individuals, which includes young kids, of all races, that do not belong in the neighborhood, cover their faces and look into houses like they were canvassing the neighborhood (as gz reported about treyvon's activity).

Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,669,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yeah. The same police who when visiting the scene of the burglary are extremely sceptical about their chances to ever find the perp or recover the property.
Because we all know that property is so much more important than human life, right!?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,226,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
According to one of the earlier articles, Martin was just yards outside his Dad's apartment. He was on the phone telling his girlfriend that a man was following him.
You have seen the maps, this is absolutely incorrect. Brandy Green's townhouse is where he was staying with his dad. You can see that F is where his body/witnesses say the altercation took place.

Zimmerman was at C (his truck) and followed to location E, then back towards his truck when the operator told him we don't need you following. That is when the altercation took place at F.

Key:
A – The Clubhouse for Retreat at Twin Lakes.
B – Community mailboxes.
C – Where George Zimmerman parked his truck.
D – Brandy Green’s Townhouse, where Trayvon was staying.
E – Zimmerman stopped and completed his 911 call for approximately eighty seconds.
F – The fight and shooting took place in this area.
G – Eyewitness “John’s” townhouse.

0:15 – The best address I can give you is the clubhouse. [A]
0:45 – He’s just staring at the houses. Now he’s staring at me.
1:00 – He’s coming towards me.
1:20 – He’s coming to check me out.
2:08 – Sh&t, he’s running.
2:14 – Sound of truck door being closed. [C]
2:20 – He’s heading towards the back entrance. [referring to E]
2:25 – Are you following him? Yep.
2:45 – He ran… Zimmerman stops and completes the 911 call. [E]
4:05 – Call ends.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Because we all know that property is so much more important than human life, right!?
I dont think you can compare these two but property and overall safety is important nevertheless.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,669,733 times
Quote:
I dont think you can compare these two but property and overall safety is important nevertheless.
I just bet 'overall safety' was important to Trayvon's parents, too.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:28 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,345,087 times
Quote:
That's why we have neighborhood watches, the police can't simply keep up.
Police can also be accused of "racial profiling" while neighborhood watch can simply exercise common sense. Let's make something clear here: people participate in neighborhood watch because of crime and not so much for fun.

And there are some that are just nosey as well as those who have a "I wanna be a policeman syndrome"

Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,345,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Oh, that same old link, "multiple sources told ABC News." How about a real person or the alleged arrest request. The one Serino requested on March 13 is part of the released discovery. Where's the one from Feb. 26 ?

I can find articles saying the cops never took gz's clothes, repeated ad nauseum on this forum. False. And that tm's tox test came back clean. False. Without much trouble I could give you more false reports.

If Serino wanted to arrest gz that night, does it mean the cover-up was by the prosecutor, the police chief, and the father, not the rank and file cops.

Maybe in your part of the planet where innocent kids can get murdered and their killer can be released based solely on his word that exist. If Serino did not want or attempt to arrest zimmerman he is just as guilty of the conspiracy to cover up the whole matter as well

Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,253,786 times
Quote:
Yes my property is more important to me than a criminal's life. The criminal forfeits the value of his life as he attempts to rob me.
The Value of your property is up to you.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,251,204 times
Quote:
I don't want to get off-topic, but did anyone hear about the guy in Texas?
He invoked the SYG law after killing his neighbor.

He was found GUILTY of murder, yesterday, I think.

Hmmm.
I'm familiar with the case, and think it sets a good precedent. Unfortunately, there are many who, though in agreement with the verdict, refuse to acknowledge the parallel that exists between that case and this one. Indeed, the same arguments that were made against Rodriguez (he should have remained inside, he instigated the confrontation by leaving and confronting), can be made against Zimmerman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.