Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Unfortunately, issues like this one become very emotional and there often isn't a gray area. I would need to go back and read your other posts, but many of the posters here who defend Zimmerman's actions have also expressed hatred and bigotry, even applauding the death of a 17 year old.

IMHO that's probably why it's often difficult to be neutral. It's like the abortion issue. I am pro-choice, but I also don't think a woman should have an abortion after 12 weeks. However, I can't discuss abortion at all with someone who is in the pro-life group. If I do, I'm called a baby killer or sinner. Talking about gun laws and shooting an unarmed teenager is almost as emotional, probably more for minorities, since the victim was Black. I have had my share of problems in life, and I've experienced discrimination because of my age and gender, but I don't know what it is like to be judged because of my skin color. We all know that, had Martin been White, Zimmerman wouldn't have followed him. It doesn't mean Zimmerman is a racist, only that he was focused on catching a young, Black male, and it's possible this had become an obsession. After all, he was on 2 prescriptions for attention deficit disorder and anxiety. I'm not completely normal either (who is?) but when you take a troubled person and give him a gun, it can become a deadly combination.
I want to exclude me from the 'We' who Know gz wouldn't have followed a white guy. I can't prove it, but I believe he was so into 'hero' mode and angry over prior people who got away that he'd have followed anyone. I'm not even sure gz could see that tm was black before making the 911 call.

Trayvon was an innocent unarmed child who didn't deserve to die.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think it would have been the best thing he could have done.
The following thing. Gated communities and their watches are tough, but thats why people like them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
We don't really know what happened. Neighborhood watches, especially in the areas plagued by burglaries will always be on the watch for suspect looking individuals, which includes young kids, of all races, that do not belong in the neighborhood, cover their faces and look into houses like they were canvassing the neighborhood (as gz reported about treyvon's activity).
For the Umpteenth fricking time, GZ was not acting in the capacity of Neighborhood Watch person when he KILLED Trayvon.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Yeah. The same police who when visiting the scene of the burglary are extremely sceptical about their chances to ever find the perp or recover the property.
That's why we have neighborhood watches, the police can't simply keep up.
Police can also be accused of "racial profiling" while neighborhood watch can simply exercise common sense. Let's make something clear here: people participate in neighborhood watch because of crime and not so much for fun.
I am not so sure about that. There are a lot of guys out there who have some sort of 'hero' complex. They would love to be cops and carry guns and authority, but cannot pass the qualifications. So they protect citizens through volunteering in things like neighborhood watches. Unfortunately, they kill some of those citizens that they are supposed to be protecting every once in a while.

Don't they try, with psychological testing, to screen pyromaniacs out of qualifying for service of firemen, and mentally unbalanced people from being police officers? Can't they do the same with neighborhood watch people, especially in states where it is easy to obtain firearms?

I think neighborhood watch people have the best of intentions, probably, but there are just some who have these heroic images of themselves or feel bitter or are too quick to flare up or to confront.

It should not come to such a situation as this.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
We don't really know what happened. Neighborhood watches, especially in the areas plagued by burglaries will always be on the watch for suspect looking individuals, which includes young kids, of all races, that do not belong in the neighborhood, cover their faces and look into houses like they were canvassing the neighborhood (as gz reported about treyvon's activity).
Yeah, but that is typical behavior. When I was a kid (even now, sometimes, I confess) coming home from the 7/11 at night I would look into windows when it was obvious people were watching the tv and the tv could be seen right from the sidewalk. It's just idle perusing.

I live in an area with a lot of elderly people. I admit that I called the cops (very small town) just to alert them that the same strange kid was riding around the neighborhood on his bike over and over. I mean, you don't know if they are just getting some healthy exercise in a prettier area or if they are casing the area for thugs, maybe phoning back whose garage door was left opened.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I want to exclude me from the 'We' who Know gz wouldn't have followed a white guy. I can't prove it, but I believe he was so into 'hero' mode and angry over prior people who got away that he'd have followed anyone. I'm not even sure gz could see that tm was black before making the 911 call.

Trayvon was an innocent unarmed child who didn't deserve to die.
I'm pretty sure the on the taped 911 cal that Zimmerman mentioned black....in fact I believe he used a racial slur. Bottom line is a young man died, needlessly and tragically at the hands of someone that might be described as a zealot.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 20,523 times
Here is the real deal.Most whites KNOW what Zimmerman did was wrong,and that Trayvon was killed in cold blood.But the thing is,these whites ARE PERFECTLY OK WITH THIS, because to them,ALL young black males are a potential threat. And in order to maintain the fallacy of white supremacy,the white collective must support the white supremacist mindset.Even if it's wrong.This is why Zimmerman is getting so much support from whites (even tho he is definitely going to jail)

Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For the Umpteenth fricking time, GZ was not acting in the capacity of Neighborhood Watch person when he KILLED Trayvon.
I'm trying to figure out when I said he was active duty neighborhood watch.
Im also trying to figure why one would need to even be a neighborhood watch to act upon something they thought was suspicious.
Oh yeah city people, I forgot. They never see anything and don't want to be involved.
I stand by what I said. Gated community's take their security seriously. The people who opt to live in such places must like it. Why else would they live there?
Me? I wouldn't live in such a place. But then I wouldn't live in a city either.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
There is something interesting about this post: Nowhere in it do I mention any C-D posters, or even C-D. So
whatever made you think that I was referencing you? Since you claim that you never donated or made a post indicating that you had, why would I have thought that you were a donor? Zimmerman received roughly $250,000 in donations, and I hardly think that such an amount came from a single donor. That leaves quite a few gullible people who donated money that the Zimmermans later perjured themselves to try and hide. By putting my general post into the mix, you've outed yourself. Smooth move.
I'm too bored to go find my post that you're quoting, but as I recall, I was quoting someone else. I don't remember a single post made by you, but I do recall someone, I can't remember who, accusing me of donating money to Zimm.

So I guess I should ask you; whatever made you think I was referencing you? I wasn't. Goodness! I didn't realize comprehension was so difficult.

OK, here, for your edification. I had to go back a long, long way.

The quote I responded to:

Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000
Obviously the ridicule and no substance strategy, same old, same old again.

Btw, Dale, didn't you post somewhere that you sent Zimmerman money?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I'm trying to figure out when I said he was active duty neighborhood watch.
Im also trying to figure why one would need to even be a neighborhood watch to act upon something they thought was suspicious.
Oh yeah city people, I forgot. They never see anything and don't want to be involved.
I stand by what I said. Gated community's take their security seriously. The people who opt to live in such places must like it. Why else would they live there?
Me? I wouldn't live in such a place. But then I wouldn't live in a city either.
You were referring to "communities and their watches". That somehow implies something organized, IMO.

I don't live in a city. Save the snark.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I agree, not sure why people are using this map to back up Zimmerman's story when it does exactly the opposite. The only reason Zimmerman would have been between those houses was to follow Trayvon Martin.
People are using it because that is what Zimmerman said. It doesn't make it true though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies