Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The SYG law does not treat 17 year olds any differently than older individuals. Martin's age is no factor in the case.
Legally, no. Morally and ethically, yes.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The prosecution just released a lot of evidence to the defense, so we'll have to wait to see what it is.

George Zimmerman more evidence Shoot Straight - Orlando Sentinel

"Prosecutors on Thursday released to defense attorneys hundreds of pages of new evidence in the murder case, including witness statements, nearly a dozen FBI reports and jail records."
No fewer than 10 FBI agents on this case. to the Martins, Sharpton, Jackson, and the thousands who marched, for showing the power of [some] people.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Absolutely, and there are some people who would take advantage of that. It's easy to understand why FL is taking a second look at its SYG law, and other states may do the same. And the other person doesn't have to respond with violence: If two people are unseen by witnesses, the person who uses lethal force can say whatever they want and walk away without repercussions, as Zimmerman did initially. This is, indeed, a dangerous precedent.
GZ had at least 3 advantages at the start. You mentioned, no witnesses. Another was the injuries. Police observation and Early witnesses seemed to support gz's contention that he was on the ground and yelled for help. Others I'm sure would add the victim was black, gz's father, and other things.

What I really don't like is the defendant gets 2 shots at getting off. The immunity hearing if he wants one and then a trial. I'm 99.9999% sure the bill's authors and Bush didn't understand how the law would work procedurally or in practice, regardless of what they Thought or Intended.

This case isn't really a precedent because others mentioned in this and the SYG thread had the defendant follow the victim and no witnesses.

imo.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:46 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Absolutely, and there are some people who would take advantage of that. It's easy to understand why FL is taking a second look at its SYG law, and other states may do the same. And the other person doesn't have to respond with violence: If two people are unseen by witnesses, the person who uses lethal force can say whatever they want and walk away without repercussions, as Zimmerman did initially. This is, indeed, a dangerous precedent.
I appreciate you backing me up on this against the gun toter's "the gun packer is always right" mentality.

In general, SYG (as it is written now) is going to allow a number of what would have been shoving matches and fist fights generate into shootings. At some point two concealed carriers are going to have a dispute, and they are going to shoot each other. If they both survive then I suppose they both could claim SYG.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol, I understood the post. Based on your response, you didn't.

The gist is to not believe garbage spewed on the internet. 99% of this thread is internet garbage. Personally, I'm laughing, and definitely not believing.

Let's all repeat internet nonsense, now.....1. 2. 3. GO!
"Over the years, his scores of calls to police showed he pursued shoplifters and errant drivers with zeal, reporting pit bulls, potholes, children playing in the street, open garage doors and “suspicious” youths — usually black males — loitering in the street.

He peppered his calls with jargon familiar to police. In one case, he chased a reckless driver while calling 911 — the driver later told police he was terrified that Zimmerman was going to attack him. In another case, Zimmerman tailed a supermarket shoplifter until a police officer successfully arrested the thief."

Read more here: George Zimmerman: Self-appointed watchman or racist killer? - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com

Or are you suggesting that the Miami Herald is also lying?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
"Over the years, his scores of calls to police showed he pursued shoplifters and errant drivers with zeal, reporting pit bulls, potholes, children playing in the street, open garage doors and “suspicious” youths — usually black males — loitering in the street.

He peppered his calls with jargon familiar to police. In one case, he chased a reckless driver while calling 911 — the driver later told police he was terrified that Zimmerman was going to attack him. In another case, Zimmerman tailed a supermarket shoplifter until a police officer successfully arrested the thief."

Read more here: George Zimmerman: Self-appointed watchman or racist killer? - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com

Or are you suggesting that the Miami Herald is also lying?
He obviously had some racial and psychological issues. I still don't understand how anyone can justify the stalking and murder of a kid by an obviously mentally ill grown man.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Legally, no. Morally and ethically, yes.
No not really.
No I am not talking about Trayvon. This is in general.
17 yearold standing 6'6 weighs 260 pounds threatening me with a club? Bang.
16 year old same size as me 5'10 threatens me with a weapon? Bang.
I would imagine that getting assualted by 17 year old sucks about as bad as getting assaulted by an 18 yearold.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not to mention when they do have security guards they are often senior citizens working nights for a few bucks. LOL
Well, don't laugh too hard, since a "senior" with a gun can blow you away just as easily as anyone else. I've lived in communities where my neighbors were in their 90s and they played golf every day or went for a bicycle ride. I worked in a store with a woman who was 80-something and I couldn't keep up with her. Jack LaLanne, who died at age 96, was in excellent shape but he died from pneumonia, which is very common at that age.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That's what you got from justNancy's post? You may want to read it again. Slower this time for comprehension. You can do it!
I wouldn't be so sure.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:11 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
After the dust settles, Mr. Zimmerman will be found not guilty. Holder and his gang of thugs will then try some sort of civil rights thing, but even that will fail. Martin was a wanna be thug that over reached and got knocked down. It is sad, but that is a teachable moment for other wanna be gangsta's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies