Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm for self defense?
I support a person's right to carry and I also conceal carry a firearm 34 35.42%
I support a person's right to carry but I don't personally carry a firearm 56 58.33%
I don't support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
This assumes that people are following all the reasonable laws of their concealed carry permit (if needed) and they are legally capable of holding that permit (no felony record or whatever that state says).
Of course, this is the controversy. So many people aren't following the reasonable laws (or they're having their guns stolen by people who then use the guns to commit a crime). I answered Yes to your poll due to the assumption above in bold letters. Naturally, if we can assume any gun obtained legally will be used responsibly and not as a tool with which to commit a crime, then I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Of course, this is the controversy. So many people aren't following the reasonable laws (or they're having their guns stolen by people who then use the guns to commit a crime). I answered Yes to your poll due to the assumption above in bold letters. Naturally, if we can assume any gun obtained legally will be used responsibly and not as a tool with which to commit a crime, then I'm all for it.
That's a pretty respectable answer, thanks.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
I support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm period. If you start qualifying it with add on's like "for defensive purposes" you only open the door for the antis to stick their foot in and start trying to restrict it.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Two words:

OPEN CARRY

Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I probably should have specified that this poll was for people who live on American soil, not for those who live in countries that only survive because of the protection that the US affords them.

On a side note, this must be a different Toronto than the one you're bragging about.

17-year-old sought in fatal shooting | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/19/17-year-old-sought-in-fatal-shooting - broken link)

Teen injured in drive-by shooting in northwest Toronto - Toronto - CBC News

Police name brothers killed in north Toronto shooting | CTV Toronto

All from the last few days in beautiful Toronto, although I'm sure now you'll explain that those sorts of things never happen in your part of Toronto because you're smart and you stay away from places where guns might be needed for protection.
Jeeez...I am cut to the quick..Toronto is a little heaven for the most part..and we have a policy...we allow our gang bangers to arm themselves..and pocket them in the areas you mentioned...we stay out of the way as they shoot each other..nature takes it's course..Eventually they will all be gone by their own hand.

Once in a while someone gets hurt in the cross fire..but these are rare..and the numbers are not of great concern...unless like in the Jane Greba case..when they kill one of ours by mistake then we shut them down.

You on the other hand dive deep into the poo...we stay out of trouble.

For those Americans not in favor of an out right gun culture- I suggest that you apply to immigrate to Canada..we could use more good people...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
I don't think there's data there showing that it reduces the homicide rate, but I think it's covered under the constitution and there's no point in debating it. What people think doesn't matter as the courts have already ruled on handguns.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 PM

As for black AMERICANS who no longer want to be "black"- You are also welcome to come to Canada. Those that want to stay and shoot it out--go ahead....You had better hurry up- the place is filling up with Mexicans who do not want to be Americans..At least in Canada...we attempt to work things out and get along...Killing the other person is not an option....

The problems you have took 300 years to mature. We up here in the north are young and growing..and our experiment with multiculturalism to my dismay - seems to be working...Our children are trained to except others..the next generation will be very civil...We are the NEW light of the world....Your light is fading - sorry to say.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
For those Americans not in favor of an out right gun culture- I suggest that you apply to immigrate to Fantasyland..we could use more good people who want to ride around on marshmallow clouds and drink unicorn milk all day...
I agree completely.

You could also just pick on of the zones on this map which shows no crime in Toronto and everything will be great... except there isn't a single zone on the map with no crime.

Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect

Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I don't think there's data there showing that it reduces the homicide rate, but I think it's covered under the constitution and there's no point in debating it. What people think doesn't matter as the courts have already ruled on handguns.
The right to bare arms was not put in place to shoot fellow citizens - it was to ensure that a populace had the chance to remove a corrupt government by force if need be...NOW even that has changed...The nation is huge..The constitution was thinking about a few hundred men with muskets--not 60 million hicks with pistols.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The problems you have took 300 years to mature. We up here in the north are young and growing..and our experiment with multiculturalism to my dismay - seems to be working...Our children are trained to except others..the next generation will be very civil...We are the NEW light of the world....Your light is fading - sorry to say.
When did they legalize hallucinogenic drugs in Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies