Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm for self defense?
I support a person's right to carry and I also conceal carry a firearm 34 35.42%
I support a person's right to carry but I don't personally carry a firearm 56 58.33%
I don't support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The right to bare arms was not put in place to shoot fellow citizens - it was to ensure that a populace had the chance to remove a corrupt government by force if need be...NOW even that has changed...The nation is huge..The constitution was thinking about a few hundred men with muskets--not 60 million hicks with pistols.
The right to bare arms was put in place for protect, not only from individual criminals but government criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Toronto is a little heaven for the most part..and we have a policy...we allow our gang bangers to arm themselves..and pocket them in the areas you mentioned...we stay out of the way as they shoot each other..nature takes it's course..Eventually they will all be gone by their own hand.
There is absolutely no truth to this. Half of any real gang's activities involves recruiting more and more people. No matter how many die, twice that amount will be there tomorrow ready to accept the same fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm period. If you start qualifying it with add on's like "for defensive purposes" you only open the door for the antis to stick their foot in and start trying to restrict it.
It should be restricted. Kids, felons convicted of violent crime, people with severe mental disturbances should not be allowed to buy a gun. And yes, if someone uses their gun on another person or someone's else's property for any reason other than true self-defense, they should lose their right to carry as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Do you support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm for self defense purposes?
As long as they've met all legal requirements, absolutely.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

It should be restricted. Kids, felons convicted of violent crime, people with severe mental disturbances should not be allowed to buy a gun. And yes, if someone uses their gun on another person or someone's else's property for any reason other than true self-defense, they should lose their right to carry as well.
None of those have anything to do with carrying a concealed weapon and are already covered under buying firearms. Why should I have to justify why I want to carry a firearm? All that does is give government a reason to deny people the right do to so, as we see in California where they have a "may issue" concealed weapons permit (which means it is never issued) vs a state like Washington which has a "shall issue" permit which can't be denied for anyone who can legally buy a firearm.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:42 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
None of those have anything to do with carrying a concealed weapon and are already covered under buying firearms. Why should I have to justify why I want to carry a firearm? All that does is give government a reason to deny people the right do to so, as we see in California where they have a "may issue" concealed weapons permit (which means it is never issued) vs a state like Washington which has a "shall issue" permit which can't be denied for anyone who can legally buy a firearm.
How do you figure the reason they're being denied is because the state government questions their intent? Maybe California is just anti-gun and Washington isn't? Believe me, if any government doesn't want you to have a gun, they won't need a "reason" to stop you. And no matter what you're thinking, no lawyer or group of protesters can ever stop ANY state government. The federal response? "Move".

But I do understand your logic. I don't think a person should have to explain why they want to carry if they qualify to buy.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Jeeez...I am cut to the quick..Toronto is a little heaven for the most part..and we have a policy...we allow our gang bangers to arm themselves..and pocket them in the areas you mentioned...we stay out of the way as they shoot each other..nature takes it's course..Eventually they will all be gone by their own hand.

Once in a while someone gets hurt in the cross fire..but these are rare..and the numbers are not of great concern...unless like in the Jane Greba case..when they kill one of ours by mistake then we shut them down.

You on the other hand dive deep into the poo...we stay out of trouble.

For those Americans not in favor of an out right gun culture- I suggest that you apply to immigrate to Canada..we could use more good people...
Look up Switzerland, and get back with us...

Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
The right to bare arms was not put in place to shoot fellow citizens - it was to ensure that a populace had the chance to remove a corrupt government by force if need be...NOW even that has changed...The nation is huge..The constitution was thinking about a few hundred men with muskets--not 60 million hicks with pistols.
And there it is ladies and gentleman, we are all hicks now. You lost ALL your credability with that statment.....

Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Absolutely!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't want to hide the fact that I am carrying.

I'd staple the gun on my forehead...let people know right off not to mess with me.

I'd rather avoid conflict than have to draw my weapon.

That's why there are prominently displayed NRA stickers on the doors to our house. Set one foot in here and I will promptly blow you away, but I'd rather it not come to that.
So what happens when someone cases your house, sees those stickers, waits until they know you're not home, and breaks in to steal your guns? I prefer to fly off the radar myself......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies