Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm for self defense?
I support a person's right to carry and I also conceal carry a firearm 34 35.42%
I support a person's right to carry but I don't personally carry a firearm 56 58.33%
I don't support a person's right to conceal carry a firearm 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Pretty simple poll but pretty controversial at the same time...

Do you support a person's individual right to conceal carry a firearm for personal defense. I'm not talking about any particular legal case concerning concealed carry, I'm not talking about any specific state or city which might allow or deny the concealed carry of a firearm.

This assumes that people are following all the reasonable laws of their concealed carry permit (if needed) and they are legally capable of holding that permit (no felony record or whatever that state says).
I don't have an issue as long as people are responsible. We all know, however, not all are.

If you can prove you wont shoot me because I accidentally stepped on your foot, then pack away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Pretty simple poll but pretty controversial at the same time...

Do you support a person's individual right to conceal carry a firearm for personal defense. I'm not talking about any particular legal case concerning concealed carry, I'm not talking about any specific state or city which might allow or deny the concealed carry of a firearm.

This assumes that people are following all the reasonable laws of their concealed carry permit (if needed) and they are legally capable of holding that permit (no felony record or whatever that state says).

Not sure why it has to be 'controversial.'

Anyway, I support the right to carry, and while I imagine that concealed carry is more practical, I do appreciate seeing someone with a gun belt carrying openly.
Maybe that's why I live in the SW.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And there it is ladies and gentleman, we are all hicks now. You lost ALL your credability with that statment.....
That poster referred to "60 million hicks." There are 300 million people in this country. Someone needs to work on their understanding of "all."

Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Huh?
carring a gun didn't save their life. It might have contributed to it because people knew they were armed. I also had an older friend who shot and killed a man justifiably. He never carried a gun after that because he knew if he got into an argument he would be killed.

Where I live we can shoot guns , my kids shoot guns , my neighbors shoot guns, people want to take me out to shoot guns or show me their guns,. I have also close friends and family who have killed people justifiably and otherwise, guns have absolutely no romantic appeal to me. If you think you need a gun the best policy is to shut up and pack it.
forget about registrations and permits, if you have to kill some one under the right set of circumstances our gun laws will protect you. Its kind of weird you can kill some one and just get a slap on wrist. The most I've seen any one get is eight years. And the person they killed is still dead.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That poster referred to "60 million hicks." There are 300 million people in this country. Someone needs to work on their understanding of "all."
No matter, the number means nothing...it was the "hicks part" that I was refering to, thanks for playing.

But, if you consider yourself a "HICK" because you carry a gun/pistol or what ever, then I guess the remark fits you, "Hick."

Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I don't have an issue as long as people are responsible. We all know, however, not all are.

If you can prove you wont shoot me because I accidentally stepped on your foot, then pack away.
No one can do this either. That's what keeps the controversy alive. There's no way of knowing who's gonna use their legally purchased and carried gun to kill an innocent person, until they do so.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Interesting stats for all:

FBI — Table 20

Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I not only don't carry, I don't own a gun (well technicallly I do but it's over 400miles away lol).

I have ZERO problem with people that are properly trained, licensed and background checked having a concealed wheapons permit. These aren't people causing trouble and if crap goes down with criminals or a crazy person etc. I will be happy to have them around.

Really folks, these aren't the types that are going to get mad because of your driving and take shots at you. That's the scumbag with an illegal gun and a meth habit etc.

It's really wierd how people get bent out of shape about this topic when the vast majority of shootings are drug, gang related and involve illegal firearms etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Guns, concealed or not, won’t save anybody when it comes to… shoot first, ask questions later. It is overly simplistic to believe that criminals won’t adapt to such laws. For that matter, should kids be carrying guns as well? After all, how are they going to defend self from "a gentleman" approaching them with a concealed weapon?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Interesting stats for all:

FBI — Table 20
Interesting how Wyoming and DC have about the same population (around 600k) but one has roughly 20x as many murders as the other.

Wyoming is one of the most gun-friendly states with a long history of concealed carry.

DC is one of the least gun-friendly states.

But hey, let's blame the gun laws and guns for the problems. It couldn't POSSIBLY be due to factors like drugs, gangs, poverty and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies