Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,944 times

Advertisements

Why do I get the impression that those of you that are the most outraged by this have neither read the regulations nor worked on a modern farm.

The work being done on most operational family farms is not being done with an old John Deer and hoe. Modern farms are industrial operations with very large, and very dangerous equipment that children have no business operating without direct supervision.

Lord only know how I managed to get through my youth without loosing fingers or flipping tractors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, except for that whole hundreds of hours behind the wheel I guess you could call that no training.
How would a 12 year old kid have hundreds of hours training?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One of my Senators, a Republican of course, is not in favor of this rule from the Department of Labor. I don't know any farmers in this state who really think it is good either. How many enforcers will the Department need to hire to enforce this fool law?

It is so obvious that all the Dept. of Labor is hoping for is that only union labor will be able to do the work. Farmers prefer to pay their kids and other teens of the area over and above union people. They hate union labor nearly as much as anybody else does, out here in the sticks.

Yesterday one of them told my son who was working on his tractor that he is pretty sure that, even as big as his farm is, if they drive this one through Congress his family will have to just let the EPA and the Labor Dept. work their farm for them. I think that most farmers don't understand how all that crap worked out in the Soviet Union. It won't work here any better but many of the labor and left thinkers don't understand it either.

Obama Admin. Proposes Rule That Stops Farm Kids From Performing Chores | Right Wing News
UNABLE to even research this forum!!!!

Obama Administration Strikes Again - Now Going After Farm Kids

Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yes you do or you wouldn't have even bothered to reply to my post.
Is "obummer" one of those terms used in place of "Obama" that ignorant people use because they cant formulate an adult level argument and have to resort to childish name calling?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This administration wants to strip the art of family farming out of the US. They don't want any kids growing up knowing how to farm. Communists are famous for things like this. Not only will they be able to say where we get our food from, they can control it and cause famine when they want to.
It's also part of UN Agenda 21 and ICLEI. THey want to kill what independence the American people have left, and herald us off the rural land so we are forever dependent on government and BigAg to be fed.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I grew up on a small dairy farm. We milked 40 head. 2 times a day 365 a year. Picking stone, baleing hay, building fence, chopping corn. None of us 5 kids died or were seriously hurt. When we did get hurt it was less due to the job and more to not listening or doing what most kids do.
I know this, compared to kids who didnt live on the farm, we were stronger more endurance and more independent. Non farm kids were more prone to whine or complain about minor things. I see the same today.
Only there are less farm kids than before.
I think Mr Obama might want to stick to something he knows more about. It seems that he has surrounded himself with people who are great talkers but lack real life experience.
I laugh when someone talks about training. Do they believe that dad lets 5 year old john drive a 60 thousand dollar tractor?
I have seen a 12 year old in a parade on a 4430 John Deere and he could barely reach the clutch . HAVE YOU READ MY POSTS?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's also part of UN Agenda 21 and ICLEI. THey want to kill what independence the American people have left, and herald us off the rural land so we are forever dependent on government and BigAg to be fed.
Yep!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
This is yet another prime example how this president is completely out of touch with this country. He knows nothing about farm life, yet he seeks to control it, as he does virtually every other aspect of our lives.
Your Confirmation Bias is showing. Please actually read the article and the posts.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This administration wants to strip the art of family farming out of the US. They don't want any kids growing up knowing how to farm. Communists are famous for things like this. Not only will they be able to say where we get our food from, they can control it and cause famine when they want to.
Yes. Its not private companies lobbying for this, its the communist party. Also big business must equal communism....

I really pity you. Do you see communists everywhere you look comrade? Perhaps you should check yourself into a hospital for your delusions of the red army taking over. We dont want you hurting yourself.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Good grief--this has nothing to do with kids growing up on a farm!

You worked for your parents. Kids working for their parents now can do the same thing. It just keeps kids EMPLOYED by farmers away from working with augers and any 20 pto horsepower equipment or greater. I grew up on a farm, and most of my family is still farming and ranching. I can tell you a half a dozen stories of people who were either killed or maimed when they caught clothing or limbs in that type of equipment, tractor roll overs, etc. It's one thing to have your own kid around that equipment--they grew up with it and respect it--and quite another to bring in a 12 or 13 year old kid who has no clue what he's doing and put him on a big tractor or around a grain auger.

Seriously? If you really are a farm kid, you know better than this.
I know two grown men and one is a personal friend. Both of them ran a DISC over their son. Two 9 year old boys and different years and different states and they were sitting on the tractor fender and fell off and the fathers ran over them. Two deaths and the adults were the responsible parties.

Don't mix kids and big equipment together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies