Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, the TRADITIONS of this country, like kids working on their parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts farm WITHOUT dictates and regulations from the this leftist regime, is absolutely alien to the Left.

They have no idea the history of this country or what goes on in "rural" America, where their food, clothing and other necessities are "created" for them.
You are really spinning this way beyond the parameters of normal spinning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Default Obama administration flips position following public outrage

Obama flip flop ratio quickly overtaking Romney's.

Children | Farm Labor | Regulations | Withdrawal | The Daily Caller

Quote:
Under pressure from farming advocates in rural communities, and following a report by The Daily Caller, the Obama administration withdrew a proposed rule Thursday that would have applied child labor laws to family farms.

Quote:
“I am pleased to hear the Obama Administration is finally backing away from its absurd 85-page proposal to block youth from participating in family farm activities and ultimately undermine the very fabric of rural America, but I will continue working to ensure this overreaching proposal is completely and permanently put to rest,” said Sen. John Thune, Republican from South Dakota. “The Obama DOL’s youth farm labor rule is a perfect example of what happens when government gets too big.”

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You are really spinning this way beyond the parameters of normal spinning.

We have slaves in China and Indonesia, doing those things for us.

We don't need American farms.
Government owned and run farms, using illegal aliens....

Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have no Uncle Buck and never did do any farm work before I was 17. However, at that time with this pile of Pelosi in effect I would have been without a job that summer since this pile called for 18. They have already pretty well done away with all teens other than family working on farms and now we see the Dept of Labor wanting to do away with them

I do think that many farm kids like to work with the family and some even become farmers themselves. With this thing in effect fewer and fewer of them will work at home and go into the business themselves.

Hey, do you know where much of your food comes from? Like not all cattle are started in feed lots or even born there? I will take it for granted that unlike many city kids you do know what a cow looks like.

Yes, I have worked with all those equipments you mention and never came very close to getting injured. I guess you don't know who manufacturers the farm equipment most in use out here in the sticks. It is John Deere but they manufacture tractors from the size you were thinking about up to some pretty huge machines. I don't think you know much about what you speak of.

Out here in the sticks of western Kansas there are no back 40s left since most of the "plots" are well over quarter sections of land. You do know how many acres that is, I am sure. I have worked on some of them that were entire sections and you don't farm those things with what you call a John Deer (John Deere).

Roy, the parent exemption says kids can work basically anywhere on the family farm.

You're a smart man, try doing 3 minutes of research so you don't have to waste your energy on something that doesn't exist.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama flip flop ratio quickly overtaking Romney's.

Children | Farm Labor | Regulations | Withdrawal | The Daily Caller

This happened in February.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I WORKED on a farm when I was 16. I lasted about two weeks in the baking sun and stifling barn loading and stacking green hay. When I left I had infected blisters on my hands and vicious sunburn. That little adventure for all of $20 cured me of farming forever

Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This happened in February.

That link is dated 4/26/2012.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, the TRADITIONS of this country, like kids working on their parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts farm WITHOUT dictates and regulations from the this leftist regime, is absolutely alien to the Left.

They have no idea the history of this country or what goes on in "rural" America, where their food, clothing and other necessities are "created" for them.

Oh...CHOICE, huh..but NOT for farmers and their kids, right? They've been working the land for centuries but all of a sudden big government needs to step in because we have a crisis, right?

The good thing about this CAVE by obama is that once again his supporters are shown his cowardice and political calculations....not that they care.
What clothing and other necessities are farm produced? Clothes produced in China maybe!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That link is dated 4/26/2012.

It happened in February. Check the DOL website.

WHD News Release: US Labor Department to re-propose 'parental exemption' of child labor in agriculture rule [02/01/2012]

The U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division today announced that it will re-propose the portion of its regulation on child labor in agriculture interpreting the "parental exemption." The decision to re-propose is in part a response to requests from the public and members of Congress that the agency allow an opportunity for more input on this aspect of the rule. Following the president's historic executive order on regulation, issued in January 2011, this re-proposal reflects the department's careful attention to public comments and its conclusion that it is appropriate to provide the public with further opportunities to participate in the regulatory process.

The parental exemption allows children of any age who are employed by their parent, or a person standing in the place of a parent, to perform any job on a farm owned or operated by their parent or such person standing in the place of a parent. Congress created the parental exemption in 1966 when it expanded protections for children employed in agriculture and prohibited their employment in jobs the Department of Labor declared particularly hazardous for children under the age of 16 to perform.

The parent exemption was re-proposed as a response to Citizen and Congress' concerns. They LISTENED, people. A fact in which a lot of , shall we say, slanted websites choose to ignore. I wonder why that is?

Last edited by carterstamp; 04-27-2012 at 08:41 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It happened in February. Check the DOL website.
February was when the DOL backed off the implementation date and offered new suggested rules. This week is when the idea was dropped altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies