Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What's more dangerous for a 12 year old:

1. A small family farm

2. The New York Subway

3. A walk to school in Chicago

Govt should stay out of the farms or family businesses.
The answer is #1 small family farm!

From Safe Kids USA
Rural and Urban Regions:

"Children living in rural areas are at significantly greater risk from unintentional injury-related death than children living in urban areas.
Rural children are at high risk of drowning, motor vehicle crashes, residential fires and agricultural work-related injury.
Urban children are at an increased risk of sustaining severe nonfatal injuries as compared to suburban and rural children. This is possibly due to closer access to hospitals and trauma centers.

Many operational farms in the US are not "small family farms." They are highly mechanized, industrial level producers. And riding the NYC Subway is by-far safer than driving a combine.

What do win for picking the right answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Some many are making this about what a farm kid can and cannot do. This is more about preventing a farm kid from being put in danger by someone other than the parents and preventing a farm kid from hurting other people as well.

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias, myside bias or verification bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.[

Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I know two grown men and one is a personal friend. Both of them ran a DISC over their son. Two 9 year old boys and different years and different states and they were sitting on the tractor fender and fell off and the fathers ran over them. Two deaths and the adults were the responsible parties.

Don't mix kids and big equipment together.
Yikes!

That story reminded me of a family who lived on the same road that I used to who would do haying jobs in the summer.

They had a whole passel of kids and I would often see the mom driving the tractor past my house with kids sitting next to her on it, standing on it, jumping off and jumping back on, and running next to it and behind it, and everyone (including mom) laughing and having a great time.

Used to scare the crap out of me and the fact that no one was ever hurt or worse was probably sheer luck.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's not about the unions, Roy. It's about Big Agribusiness taking over more and more family farms. They want to lobby the Feds to stamp out as many independent businesses and farms as possible, and hand them over to the polluted, corporate farms. Unions have nothing to do with this
Why is this one coming from the Department of Labor if it is big business that is involved?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Could the mods merge this with the other only slightly less trolly thread on this subject?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This garbage, again Must be the top propaganda piece at fox.
I didn't get this one from Fox News as you could have seen if you had opened the link but I do live in farming country and those people here aren't getting any happier with this kind of garbage coming from the Obama administration.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why is this one coming from the Department of Labor if it is big business that is involved?
Big business can lobby the Department of Labor if they need to. Remember, Obama can give 2 ****s about union workers. Obama answers to the UN, as Leon Panetta revealed not too long ago, and the UN wants ordinary people off the rural lands of the world and crammed into cities. This will also affect the Amish, who rely on their kids to work their farms since they use little to no modern technology.

Quote:
I didn't get this one from Fox News as you could have seen if you had opened the link but I do live in farming country and those people here aren't getting any happier with this kind of garbage coming from the Obama administration.
1) Did you read the regulations in question?
2) Have you worked on a modern farm with combines, multi-ton tractors, augers, etc...? And no, the time you drove a John Deer on your Uncle Buck's back 40 doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Another one like you named three other threads and one of my boys spoke up saying that any time we expose what is being jammed down our throats it is all good.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
One of my Senators, a Republican of course, is not in favor of this rule from the Department of Labor. I don't know any farmers in this state who really think it is good either. How many enforcers will the Department need to hire to enforce this fool law?

It is so obvious that all the Dept. of Labor is hoping for is that only union labor will be able to do the work. Farmers prefer to pay their kids and other teens of the area over and above union people. They hate union labor nearly as much as anybody else does, out here in the sticks.

Yesterday one of them told my son who was working on his tractor that he is pretty sure that, even as big as his farm is, if they drive this one through Congress his family will have to just let the EPA and the Labor Dept. work their farm for them. I think that most farmers don't understand how all that crap worked out in the Soviet Union. It won't work here any better but many of the labor and left thinkers don't understand it either.

Obama Admin. Proposes Rule That Stops Farm Kids From Performing Chores | Right Wing News

Roy this has already been debunked in a duplicate thread.

But nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies