Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM

744 posts, read 812,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't recall having come across you before so I'll give you an opportunity to answer a question all other Liberals have refused to answer.

The US Census Bureau reports there are 110 Million Households.

Media Industry reports show 99 Million Households have cable, or satelite or both.

ISPs report that 90 Million Households have internet connection.

The USDA reports 47 Million Households receiving Food Stamp benefits.

Now, here's the question, what's wrong with that picture?

Seeing how *******s always dodged the issue, I thought maybe it was due to the fact that it required the application of 5th Grade Math. So I'll do the math for you.

All things being equal:

110 Million Households - 47 Million Households w/Food Stamps = 63 Million Households.

That means 63 Million Households should be have cable, satellite or both, not 99 Million, and 63 Million Households should have internet connection, not 90 Million.

What intelligent people understand then, is that tax-payers are not buying food for "needy" people, rather tax-payers are paying the cable/satellite bills for other people; tax-payers are paying the internet service bill for other people; tax-payers are paying the cell-phone bills for other people.

Right?

Because logically, if you don't have enough money to buy food for your family, then you don't have enough money to pay for your cable/satellite service or your internet service or your cell-phone. Yet the evidence proves people that people are spending money on cable and not on food.

Now, justify to us why we should provide luxury items to people?

Specifically, justify why I personally should pay for other people's cable and satellite, when I don't have cable or satellite.

I'll wait for your justification.

Patriotically...

Mircea
Everyone deserves internet access chump. Just like you can argue poor people shouldn't smoke or drink, well maybe that is their only pleasure. Suck it if you have a problem with anyone on assistance having internet access. I was on masshealth from when I was 18 to almost 20 which was highly subsidized for me and I still had internet, my life would be pretty crappy today if I did not have that internet access
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Because of politics. If the dems/repubs either side ever did something to social security/medicare/food stamps, any entitlement program the other side would scream for months and the American people would vote em out. They both know this. Hell even a cut and folks are screaming about how so and so wants grandma to die or kids to starve. Sooooooooo they kick the can down the road over and over again. Too bad a cliff is on the horizon.
Far be it from me to disagree with you, but Social Security (retirement) is not an entitlement, nor is Medicare. Medicare, contrary to what most people think, is not free. I pay for Medicare. It comes out of each monthly social security retirement check, which I paid for during the long years I worked.

Medicaid: entitlement. Medicare: not so much.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Everyone deserves internet access chump. Just like you can argue poor people shouldn't smoke or drink, well maybe that is their only pleasure. Suck it if you have a problem with anyone on assistance having internet access. I was on masshealth from when I was 18 to almost 20 which was highly subsidized for me and I still had internet, my life would be pretty crappy today if I did not have that internet access
But our lives would be so much better, lol.

Anyone who receives entitlement should not have perks of any kind. None. If you can't pay for cable/internet/gold teeth/whatever, do without.

It's bad enough I as a taxpayer have to buy your feed and pay your Section 8 crappy housing.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I figured that was the answer, but I wasn't too sure. This goes to an issue I have with us as americans. We become so consumed with beating each other, that we elect people who have to toe the party line, or they risk their spot in the goverment. Doesn't anybody see a problem with this? Neither side will touch entitlements because it would be political suicide. Why in the world should it be like this?
If one of those entitlements was ended it would save the rest of them.

The one I'm taling about is the Bush tax cuts!!!!The worst entitlement ever.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Far be it from me to disagree with you, but Social Security (retirement) is not an entitlement, nor is Medicare. Medicare, contrary to what most people think, is not free. I pay for Medicare. It comes out of each monthly social security retirement check, which I paid for during the long years I worked.

Medicaid: entitlement. Medicare: not so much.
Well I agree but IMO the only way to "fix" it is for those who have the money to retire get shafted. It will have to turn into a welfare program. I don't see any other way around it. Not fair I know and I will get the shaft too.

The problem we have now is thanks to the democrats folks aren't paying into it with this hiatus on taxes given by them for the next year which is only making things worse.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
These dimwits have some nerve. How do they consider themselves patriotic when they’re unwilling to sacrifice for the greater good? I guess it’s profits at any cost.

Food Stamps In Crosshairs Of Republicans' Plan To Save Military
First, this comes from a place where they will always phrase things against Republicans and try and support Democrats, so this isn't some story without bias.

Second, this is regarding the lack of agreement on the budget from the other year and the automatic cuts forced through if there was no agreements.
Military gets a lot of axing due to Democrats loving to ax the Military.
You are blaming Republicans for what the Democrats wanted.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
These dimwits have some nerve. How do they consider themselves patriotic when they’re unwilling to sacrifice for the greater good? I guess it’s profits at any cost.

Food Stamps In Crosshairs Of Republicans' Plan To Save Military
What the hell are you talking about?

Did you rush out to write a similar thread when the democrat first raided the SNAP program?

From your link:

Republicans want to take away the stimulus boost this year, saving $5.9 billion over 10 years. They note that Democrats were first to raid the extra stimulus funding for SNAP in order to pay for other bills, including a child nutrition bill that was a priority of first lady Michelle Obama's. Democrats promised to put the money back, but that seems unlikely.

So Michelle Obama raided SNAP first, with her child nutrition bill?

The only thing democrats ever want to cut is military spending. The people who live and die for the nation always earn the ire of democrats. what's next, reduce payments and increase fees to our soldiers living on military retirement pensions?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:55 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Cut 'em $70 Billion for folks to lay around. There are crops that need to be picked and burgers that need to be flipped. They do one of those things to earn money for food.
Exactly.

I think we need to wean them off food stamps. Cut back each person's monthly dole until they are motivated to get off their duffs and get a job. Any job. I've had up to four jobs at a time just to survive, no reason everyone can't do the same.

Our immigrants should serve as prime examples of how to succeed in the United States. Often there is more than one family sharing expenses in a single family dwelling. They work, they pool their money, some work to pay for anothers education, they pool their money and build a business. If people can come to this country with basically nothing, often not even speaking the language well then there is NO EXCUSE for anyone born here not to succeed.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Honestly the reason no one has answered your question is because it’s rhetorical in nature. You’re not asking for the sake of getting a response but to make a point.
It is not rhetorical, it is factual.

And the reason *******s dodge it (and 90% of my questions) is because *******s know they are wrong and that they have no facts or evidence to support any of their ridiculous claims or conclusions.

Quote:
Food stamps pay for what exactly? Food! Not TV or Internet.
You're wrong.

You might want to enroll in a remedial math course at your local elementary school to bring you up to speed.

When you apply for Food Stamps, you are saying that you don't have enough money to buy food for you or your family.

But that is a lie; a fraud. Those people do have enough money, they are just not spending it properly.

If you cannot afford to buy food, then you pick up the telephone and you cancel your cable/satellite service so that you have an extra $80 to $120 to buy food.

And if that isn't enough, then you cancel your World of Warcraft and NetFlix subscriptions and your internet and use that money to buy food.

And if you still don't have enough, you cancel you cell-phone/data plan and use that money to buy food.

And if it were up to me, that is exactly how it would work. You get Food Stamps when you bring a letter signed by the corporate attorneys for cable/satellite providers, internet providers, cell-phone service providers etc etc stating that you do not have service and that service will not be restored while the individual is receiving Food Stamp benefits.

See, that goes back to the 5th Grade Math thing. You're saying those people don't have $416 or $248 or whatever to buy food, when in fact, they do have the money to buy food, they just don't want to use their money, because it's easier to spend other people's money.

If you have $312 worth of cable/satellite with premium sports packages and movie channels and internet with subscriptions to World of Warcraft and NetFlix and Amazon Movies and your fancy 'Droid with the music downloads and internet, then you I'm not buying food for you, rather I am subsidizing your life-style.

Mathematically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Everyone deserves internet access chump. Just like you can argue poor people shouldn't smoke or drink, well maybe that is their only pleasure. Suck it if you have a problem with anyone on assistance having internet access. I was on masshealth from when I was 18 to almost 20 which was highly subsidized for me and I still had internet, my life would be pretty ****ty today if I did not have that internet access
Uh, sorry, no one "deserves" internet access. You are grotesquely mistaken if you believe that my function on Planet Earth is to subsidize your life-style.

The reason your life sucks, is because you are bereft of intelligence and totally lacking in imagination. You have no idea how to entertain yourself, and you are brain-washed into believing that all entertainment must cost money. It costs nothing to walk through the park, or the forest, or sit with friends and play chess, or Euchre, or Hearts or Bid Whist and discuss things, or draw on paper, play an instrument etc etc etc.

Volunteering your time in the community costs nothing either, but then that is a conservative trait, not a liberal trait.

You might want to adjust your attitude, because that kind of thinking creates a dichotomy that ultimately ends in conflict, usually a civil war, during which people who think like you get "purged" (or Darwined).

To be forewarned is to be foretold...

Mircea

Old 04-28-2012, 01:35 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
serious question here, how come the republicans never eliminated entitlements when they had control of house and senate, while having a republican president?
Who said that we need to "eliminate" entitlements? Shouldn't we use taxpayer money to provide temporary assistance to those who need it? Instead, Obama wants to steal from the rich and give to the poor. There is no incentive for unemployed workers to seek ordinary employment. It is much easier to claim a victim status and collect unemployment. Then you can also demonize the rich because they have money.
Hey, McFly... That money is used to BUY things such as a college education, groceries, healthcare, etc. Not everyone gets those things for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies