Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM

415 posts, read 616,064 times

Advertisements

To those of you who think internet access and phones are not necessary, have you ever tried looking for a job with no internet access and no phone? And I'm sure many would also consider a car a luxury. So how is one supposed to find a job in this day and age where employers want reliable transportation, want applications filed online and want to be able to reach you by phone? I seriously attended job fairs while unemployed hoping to get around the internet job search requirement only to be told to go home and apply online! The library isn't much of an option; my computer went out a little bit while I was looking for work and the local libraries (and the libraries in Utah where I just moved) restrict internet access on library computers to 1 to 2 hours in a DAY. Good luck finding a job with that!

I was on food stamps about 5 months ago. It is not a picnic to obtain them. They do ask you questions and they do audit people. The clerks at grocery stores and discount stores are aware of what the cards look like and so are many of the customers; I occasionally got glares and "you horrible welfare queen!" comments because I was carrying a fancy handbag (bought from when I had a job). I still had a BlackBerry because my dad wants me to have a cell phone and pays for it (I could care less personally) and had internet access because its part of my room rental. I guess I should have starved. Oh wait, the food stamps didn't cover the cost of food very well and my unemployment didn't cover food at all, so I actually went to be hungry some nights! Other nights dinner was white bread and jam. So no, not everyone on food stamps is a bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Exactly.

I think we need to wean them off food stamps. Cut back each person's monthly dole until they are motivated to get off their duffs and get a job. Any job. I've had up to four jobs at a time just to survive, no reason everyone can't do the same.

Our immigrants should serve as prime examples of how to succeed in the United States. Often there is more than one family sharing expenses in a single family dwelling. They work, they pool their money, some work to pay for anothers education, they pool their money and build a business. If people can come to this country with basically nothing, often not even speaking the language well then there is NO EXCUSE for anyone born here not to succeed.
I guess since the recession never hit the crappy midwest, notable for only its tornadoes, it doesn't exist. It is VERY DIFFICULT to find a job, period. I have relatives in Texas and Utah who tell me that even in those two places (of course Texas and Utah have higher unemployment rates than Kansas, but hey) it is difficult to find a job. I have been extremely lucky that the longest I've been unemployed is 6 months in this recession, but even that is brutal. And don't even spew forth the crap about people relocating to Kansas; I'm doubtful tornado alley could absorb half of Utah's unemployed (Utah with 7% unemployment) let alone the unemployed here in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Everyone deserves internet access chump. Just like you can argue poor people shouldn't smoke or drink, well maybe that is their only pleasure. Suck it if you have a problem with anyone on assistance having internet access. I was on masshealth from when I was 18 to almost 20 which was highly subsidized for me and I still had internet, my life would be pretty crappy today if I did not have that internet access
Your right everyone deserves luxuries. That is provided they pay for them themselves. Its not realistic to ask others to suck it just so you or anyone else can enjoy the Internet. You want it? Then pay for it.
I want a lot of things. I save my money and wait until I can afford it. I dont ask others to provide my fun and games.
The entitlement mentality. I want it therefore I deserve it and you the tax payer should provide it.
Your life would be crappy without it? Once again how is that anyones problem but yours? Ask your family to provide, or your friends.
I think it is fair to tell poor people to not drink or smoke if its tax dollars paying for habits that are unhealthy.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't recall having come across you before so I'll give you an opportunity to answer a question all other Liberals have refused to answer.

The US Census Bureau reports there are 110 Million Households.

Seeing how *******s always dodged the issue, I thought maybe it was due to the fact that it required the application of 5th Grade Math. So I'll do the math for you.

Mircea
*******s, really?
Mircea, after that, you're just not worth reading.

I used to think you may have points, but acting like a 6-year old calling names negates all of that.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
If hungry people are a burden to America why not permanently eliminate the hungry people?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I would have to quibble.

The military is under no threat. The Republicans are not interested in "saving" the military, because there is nothing to save it from.

What they are trying to do is preserve a ridiculous level of military spending, greater than that of any other nation, of all other nations combined, and out of proportion to any conceivable military threat to our country.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:58 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times

Lets see here, 58% of the entire US budget's spending goes to military, but only 1% to food stamps, yet the extreme right goons want to cut there instead of the ridiculously over-bloated military?
It shows beyond any doubt that the GOP are a bunch of idiots that don't give a damn about anything but to keep bankrolling the snot out of their cronies, while screwing over the poor in an attempt to pay for it.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:34 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
IIRC, it was the Democrats who passed "Pay-Go". Now they are unwilling to follow their own rules? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Meanwhile the left screams for a cut to farm subsidies...........

Newsflash: Food stamps = farm subsidies

When the OP uses the word dimwits he projects too much.

"Unless Congress acts, the sequestration begins at the start of 2013. Democrats in the Senate are arguing that the Budget Control Act counts as a budget, and therefore they won't take up debate on a spending plan for 2013, much less address Rep. Paul Ryan's House budget resolution."

Must be tremendously convenient for Democrats who have refused to pass a budget for years to sit back and point fingers at those who would at least attempt to rein in our trillion plus annual deficits.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:41 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

Lets see here, 58% of the entire US budget's spending goes to military, but only 1% to food stamps, yet the extreme right goons want to cut there instead of the ridiculously over-bloated military?
It shows beyond any doubt that the GOP are a bunch of idiots that don't give a damn about anything but to keep bankrolling the snot out of their cronies, while screwing over the poor in an attempt to pay for it.
Nice try but you fail. Discretionary spending only makes up 18% of the entire budget.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

And your Dems have done what????????? Oh thats right the same exact thing only more spending than the ones you condemn.
Think Tempest....
When Pelosi was speaker did she even attempt a balanced budget? I mean seriously try? Of course not.
Did she cut Military spending? No but through policies passed by her house her fortunes grew expotentually.
Think Tempest. Denounce all of them because they are all the same.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:43 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Apparently continuous funding of unneeded Military Projects and fantasy intelligence boondoggles is the answer? In fact personal bailouts to poor or almost poor stimulate far more economic activity than any number of tax cuts for the wealthy. If companies and rich investors are hoarding money or investing it overseas they should have that money taxed away and used for really productive things like repairing bridges, water works or sewers. Just the wages paid to the workers building these things is far more stimulating than giving a clown like Romney and his cohorts another few billion or so. That money goes to Bangladesh not Brookfield and is completely wasted.

So what if a lot of relatively poor people are also buying entertainment with their limited money? The Stamps they use for food is a benefit to agribusiness first last and always. Feeding people is a side effect but Big Ags’ profits are primary goal.
Everyone talks abouts fixing bridges and roads like we were still back in the decade of the great depression. It worked then because it required tons of unskilled laborers with a shovels in their hands. Today miles and miles of highway get built with a handful of workers (skilled workers) and some heavy equipment that gets leased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies