Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Cut 'em $70 Billion for folks to lay around. There are crops that need to be picked and burgers that need to be flipped. They do one of those things to earn money for food.
And there's lots of trash by the side of the road.

I don't have a problem with people EARNING food stamps with labor. Novel idea, and besides, lord, have mercy they would miss Dr. Phil or The Young and The Restless.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Sigh/////

What you obviously fail to understand is that the overwhelming amount of that spending going to defense contractors that charge the US government a ridiculously overinflated amount of money for what they sell (AKA the GOP's corporatist cronies)
What the hero's in uniform get, is that tiny slice called "Veterans benefits"

Got it?
Tempest the dems dont have any cronies involved?
Tobyhanna army Deot has to be the biggest waste of tax payer money I have ever witnessed first hand and it is in the heart of the blue state.
California has its share too. Blue state.
Its not a partisan problem its a bipartisan issue.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

I don't have a problem with people EARNING food stamps with labor. Novel idea, and besides, lord, have mercy they would miss Dr. Phil or The Young and The Restless.

20yrsinBranson
Agreed common sense at last. Imagine expecting people to do something to earn the benefit. Even 8 hours a week community service...

Old 04-28-2012, 04:00 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How are the Dems any different other than rhetoric? Look at the pork..... From both sides. Tempest I like and respect you. But the 2 parties are the same wolf. They wear a different fleece that is the only difference.
The fascist military industrial complex does have a tight grasp on the white house, I'm not denying that. The democrats are often sell-outs just like the GOP to hit "yea" on every defense spending bill comes up, but that's really not the issue of this topic.
The issue is that the GOP wants to keep ramming the nation down as hard as it can into becoming a complete fascist state, taking from the poor and middle class to feed the rich and their corporatist cronies.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:00 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
IIRC, it was the Democrats who passed "Pay-Go". Now they are unwilling to follow their own rules? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Meanwhile the left screams for a cut to farm subsidies...........

Newsflash: Food stamps = farm subsidies

When the OP uses the word dimwits he projects too much.
Well, the link provided is from the Huffington Post. What does that tell us? The Huffington Post does not have a reputation for truth or accurate reporting. Not a great source.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Agreed common sense at last. Imagine expecting people to do something to earn the benefit. Even 8 hours a week community service...
That would be inhumane treatment to many. Hell they can't even get the prisoners off their cots and cable tv to mow the roads now days.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
To those of you who think internet access and phones are not necessary, have you ever tried looking for a job with no internet access and no phone?
No one is say give up your phone, rather we're saying give up your cell-phone (that you don't need). I have never gotten a job with the internet or using a cell-phone. I have always used a land-line.

I guess you lack the imagination to live a normal life. Woe to you.

Quote:
And I'm sure many would also consider a car a luxury.
I don't have a car. In fact, I've only purchased one new car in my entire life, and I've only had 5 cars in the last 30 years. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Quote:
So how is one supposed to find a job in this day and age where employers want reliable transportation, want applications filed online and want to be able to reach you by phone?
You do it the exact same way people have done it for the last 70 years. You can go to the library and use the internet.

And it is "free."

And if you want to be reached by telephone, then you buy something called an "answering machine." People can then leave messages for you when you aren't home, and even when you are home, but are busy, like the doing "The Nasty" or something and don't feel like answering the phone.

See how easy that is?

Quote:
I seriously attended job fairs while unemployed hoping to get around the internet job search requirement only to be told to go home and apply online! The library isn't much of an option; my computer went out a little bit while I was looking for work and the local libraries (and the libraries in Utah where I just moved) restrict internet access on library computers to 1 to 2 hours in a DAY. Good luck finding a job with that!
Then go to your local unemployment office. They have job listings, um, you know, on (gasp) paper, and they also have computers you can use.

Here's a novel idea: Call 211 (a "free") call and get hooked into social service agencies which are either government or private agencies. Not only will they help you find a job, they will help you prepare and print your resume/CV and often they have a phone bank that you can use as a contact number for potential employers to call.

Is this like your first day on Earth or something?

Quote:
I occasionally got glares and "you horrible welfare queen!" comments because I was carrying a fancy handbag (bought from when I had a job). I still had a BlackBerry because my dad wants me to have a cell phone and pays for it (I could care less personally) and had internet access because its part of my room rental. I guess I should have starved. Oh wait, the food stamps didn't cover the cost of food very well and my unemployment didn't cover food at all, so I actually went to be hungry some nights! Other nights dinner was white bread and jam. So no, not everyone on food stamps is a bum!
The difference between intelligent people and morons is a "fancy handbag."

An intelligent person has the brains and common sense to apply foresight and to plan ahead. Accordingly, the intelligent person has 6 months worth of rent, 6 months worth of electric bills, 6 months worth of natural gas bills, 6 months worth of credit card bills, car payments, mortgage payments, car insurance payments, gasoline costs, car maintenance costs, homeowner's/rental insurance payments, monthly food bill, and anything saved up in the bank the before they get totally ignorant and buy a "fancy handbag."

Obviously your dad didn't properly school you in the fine art of personal finance (and if he did then I guess you didn't get it).

As far as your "fancy handbag," pan sear it in some olive oil, then finish it in the oven at 350°F and use some Bearnaise Sauce.

Maybe it will be edible or at least palatable.

Quote:
I guess since the recession never hit the crappy midwest, notable for only its tornadoes, it doesn't exist. It is VERY DIFFICULT to find a job, period.
I'm having a seance with Mr. Homo Habilis, a one-brained, little brained creature that roamed around 1 Million years ago...

...I'm getting an image....

...he's gesturing and pantomiming....

...he says you should do what he and his clan did and move to another region or area in the US (or the world) where you can find work...

...and he's surprised that you, with a bigger brain (and with two brains) don't have the common sense to figure that out.

Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson, and by the way, if you share living accommodations with others, you can save a lot of money, like um, you know, 6 months worth of expenses so that you can move out and have your own place.

Amused....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Everyone talks abouts fixing bridges and roads like we were still back in the decade of the great depression. It worked then because it required tons of unskilled laborers with a shovels in their hands. Today miles and miles of highway get built with a handful of workers (skilled workers) and some heavy equipment that gets leased.
That's a good point. Automation, advances in technology and different thinking have gone a long way to reduce the number of people necessary to perform a task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Tough one for me, if you cut the military that means people out of work, that means less innovation and less intellectual capital as well. That's quite a loss.
Indeed, but it isn't like you didn't know that.

I mentioned that here about 8 months ago. I said when US troops left Iraq and left Afghanistan, that it would cost you about 1 Million to 1.2 Million jobs.

So, in the last 30 days, Irving Shipbuilding has laid off 85, the DRS reconnaissance facility (UAVs) laid off 170 (and had previously laid off 150), Daimler Buses (a military contractor) is laying off and may close the plant, US Steel is laying off 50 due to reduced contracts, etc etc etc.

And then the ancillary job losses (included the 1 Million to 1.2 Million). you know, you have a job only because 300 people from DRS come over for lunch/dinner every day at your restaurant, but now they're gone, the restaurant isn't pulling enough money, and so either your hours are cut back, or you are dumped.

Quote:
Mass layoffs surge in Ohio

Last month, 48 employers laid off at least 50 workers, up from 22 mass layoff events in March 2011. Those layoffs resulted in 4,638 initial claims for unemployment insurance in March, up from 1,891 a year ago.

The increase in mass layoffs in Ohio outpaced national and regional statistics. In the 12-state Midwest region, 219 mass layoff events affected 24,470 employees last month, compared with 172 mass layoffs that resulted in 17,168 initial claims for unemployment insurance a year ago.

Mass layoffs surge in Ohio - Dayton Business Journal

Ohio has a lot of defense industry connections. About 450 temporary workers are about to lose their jobs packing MREs for troops.

Economically...

Mircea

Quote:
That said. Look no further than the civilian jobs on those bases for waste.

Golf courses, bowling alleys etc??? Dont get me wrong I am all for rec centers. But the gulf courses are for the big wigs more than anyone else.
That has nothing to do with the military. Those are funded through other sources and not by tax-payers. The exchange system is self-funding, as are all NAF activities.

NAF of course stands for Non-Appropriated Fund, meaning no money is coming from the tax-payers.

The reason they build golf-courses and bowling alleys is because NAF activities make a modest profit (about 10%) and use those profits wisely to provide other NAF activities.

The people who work at the bowling alley, the barber shop, the uniform alteration shop, the exchange, the credit union, the bars, bowling allies, golf-courses etc are paid by those who patronize those facilities.

The US tax-payers are not on the hook for that.

Militarily...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
*******s, really?
******* is a lot shorter than "Intellectually, Imaginatively, Financially, Mathematically and Mentally Challenged" which gets to be a pain in the ass trying to type out.

I noticed you dodged the question, just as I predicted.

Politically Correct...

Mircea

Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,149 times
Quote:
To those of you who think internet access and phones are not necessary, have you ever tried looking for a job with no internet access and no phone? And I'm sure many would also consider a car a luxury. So how is one supposed to find a job in this day and age where employers want reliable transportation, want applications filed online and want to be able to reach you by phone? I seriously attended job fairs while unemployed hoping to get around the internet job search requirement only to be told to go home and apply online! The library isn't much of an option; my computer went out a little bit while I was looking for work and the local libraries (and the libraries in Utah where I just moved) restrict internet access on library computers to 1 to 2 hours in a DAY. Good luck finding a job with that!

I was on food stamps about 5 months ago. It is not a picnic to obtain them. They do ask you questions and they do audit people. The clerks at grocery stores and discount stores are aware of what the cards look like and so are many of the customers; I occasionally got glares and "you horrible welfare queen!" comments because I was carrying a fancy handbag (bought from when I had a job). I still had a BlackBerry because my dad wants me to have a cell phone and pays for it (I could care less personally) and had internet access because its part of my room rental. I guess I should have starved. Oh wait, the food stamps didn't cover the cost of food very well and my unemployment didn't cover food at all, so I actually went to be hungry some nights! Other nights dinner was white bread and jam. So no, not everyone on food stamps is a bum!

I guess since the recession never hit the crappy midwest, notable for only its tornadoes, it doesn't exist. It is VERY DIFFICULT to find a job, period. I have relatives in Texas and Utah who tell me that even in those two places (of course Texas and Utah have higher unemployment rates than Kansas, but hey) it is difficult to find a job. I have been extremely lucky that the longest I've been unemployed is 6 months in this recession, but even that is brutal. And don't even spew forth the crap about people relocating to Kansas; I'm doubtful tornado alley could absorb half of Utah's unemployed (Utah with 7% unemployment) let alone the unemployed here in California.
You're in California. Go pick crops. Millions of people have immigrated to CA and found jobs. Clean motel rooms. Work fast food. I think you CAN apply for work online in an hour or two per day. Ride the bus for your reliable transportation. Have a friend or family member take messages for you if you can't afford a phone of your own. Number one priority is save money so the next time you are unemployed you won't have to have public assistance. I'm 50 years old and I've never been on public assistance. Never been unintentionally unemployed either.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
So what should the people who already work do to earn their food stamps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
When someone on food stamps goes to Wal-Mart, fills their cart with food, pays with a food stamp debit card, goes outside, places the food in their cadillac, goes back in the store and buys a 47" vizio HDTV on sale, are they a good shopper for getting a TV on sale or scamming the food stamp system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies