Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I think we need to wean them off food stamps. Cut back each person's monthly dole until they are motivated to get off their duffs and get a job. Any job. I've had up to four jobs at a time just to survive, no reason everyone can't do the same.
And you don't see a problem with that statement?! Four jobs just to survive? How about one damn job that pays a LIVING WAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Im for eliminating all waste regardless of the branch

So let's cut spending to the forment Gov employees like former Presidents, former Congressmen, etc.... And let's cut the pay of CURRENT Gov employees as well. There is NO REASON the President should make 200K a year along with a free house and free bills and free food and free transportation, free healthcare, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What you obviously fail to understand is those in the military have jobs and aren't sucking the entitlement teet.

Got it?
ORLY?! I, along with many studies beg to differ.

[SIZE=3][Note: Military Families = 25% vs Civilians = 13%. VT ed.][/SIZE]

More Troops Relying on Food Stamps

Military and food stamps - The Times-Herald

How Come Military Families Are Still on Food Stamps over 15 years now? | Veterans Today

Food stamp use at military commissaries up sharply in four years - News - Stripes

Military commissaries see spike in food stamp usage | Tulsa World

Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,058 times
Funny that someone would mention Walmart in this thread. According to figures from Ohio,each Walmart employee receives $943 per year from taxpayers in the form of food stamps,medicaid and cash assistance. Why should the taxpayers subsidize these employees while the Walton family hoards their wealth? Six members of this family have as much wealth as the bottom 30% of our citizens.
Six Waltons Have More Wealth Than the Bottom 30% of Americans - Yahoo! Finance

Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

Lets see here, 58% of the entire US budget's spending goes to military, but only 1% to food stamps, yet the extreme right goons want to cut there instead of the ridiculously over-bloated military?
It shows beyond any doubt that the GOP are a bunch of idiots that don't give a damn about anything but to keep bankrolling the snot out of their cronies, while screwing over the poor in an attempt to pay for it.
You should go look up the word discretionary because you don't seem to understand what it means.

Quote:
Sigh/////

What you obviously fail to understand is that the overwhelming amount of that spending goes to defense contractors that charge the US government a ridiculously overinflated amount of money for what they sell (AKA the GOP's corporatist cronies)
What the heroes in uniform get, is that tiny slice called "Veterans benefits"

Got it?
Quote:
2011-
Military Personnel - $161,608,000,000
Operation and Maintenance - $291,038,000,000
Procurement - $128,003,000,000
Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation - $74,871,000,000
Military Construction - $19,917,000,000
Family Housing - $3,432,000,000
Other - -$805
Table 3.2—Outlays by Function and Subfunction: 1962–2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
And there's lots of trash by the side of the road.

I don't have a problem with people EARNING food stamps with labor. Novel idea, and besides, lord, have mercy they would miss Dr. Phil or The Young and The Restless.

20yrsinBranson
Excellent point!

Quote:
The fascist military industrial complex does have a tight grasp on the white house, I'm not denying that. The democrats are often sell-outs just like the GOP to hit "yea" on every defense spending bill comes up, but that's really not the issue of this topic.
The issue is that the GOP wants to keep ramming the nation down as hard as it can into becoming a complete fascist state, taking from the poor and middle class to feed the rich and their corporatist cronies.
How the heck is the U.S. going to become a "complete fascist state" when there's more than half the population that don't share common values and traits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Funny that someone would mention Walmart in this thread. According to figures from Ohio,each Walmart employee receives $943 per year from taxpayers in the form of food stamps,medicaid and cash assistance. Why should the taxpayers subsidize these employees while the Walton family hoards their wealth? Six members of this family have as much wealth as the bottom 30% of our citizens.
Six Waltons Have More Wealth Than the Bottom 30% of Americans - Yahoo! Finance
Quote:
In 2009, roughly 1 in 4 (24.8%) of American households had zero or negative net worth, up from 18.6% in 2007, and 37.1% of households had net worth of less than $12,000, up from 30.0% in 2007.
You didn't read your article did you?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
serious question here, how come the republicans never eliminated entitlements when they had control of house and senate, while having a republican president?
How come you don't know about the Welfare Reform passed when the repubs had the House?

Please show where the repubs have advocated ELIMINATING entitlements.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Nice try but fail. What makes more sense, take cuts from something that is ridiculously over bloated with spending like the military, or something that is a tiny piece like food stamps?
Your logic baffles me.

IF you were to take every dime from the military and gave it out as entitlements, how does that stop anyone from continuing doing the same things they do now?

Will they cancel the cable TV and Internet?

Will they get rid of the several cell phones?

P.S. You lose any credibility you think you have with your content name calling and insults to people with whom you disagree with.

If you want to have an adult conversation, you may want to try acting like one. This not a personal attack, just a suggestion.
There are over 40 federally funded job programs today.

If you don't have, at a minimum, a high school education how is giving you more money going to change that?

If you are given everything, what is the incentive to try and improve yourself?

It hasn't happened in 60 years, why do you think it will change if we give even more money to the same people?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-29-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Tough one for me, if you cut the military that means people out of work, that means less innovation and less intellectual capital as well. That's quite a loss.
No, it's not.
I work in a military environment.
It's no different from the outside; for some, it's just welfare.
Don't let the warmongers make you think any differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Sigh/////

What you obviously fail to understand is those in the military have jobs and aren't sucking the entitlement teet.

Got it?
Garbage.
It is welfare for many families. No education, but don't worry, they can be lifers in the military.
The military is the biggest entitlement sector of the US.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Your logic baffles me.

IF you were to take every dime from the military and gave it out as entitlements, how does that stop anyone from continuing doing the same things they do now?

Will they cancel the cable TV and Internet?

Will they get rid of the several cell phones?

P.S. You lose any credibility you think you have with your content name calling and insults to people with whom you disagree with.

If you want to have an adult conversation, you may want to try acting like one. This not a personal attack, just a suggestion.
There are over 40 federally funded job programs today.

If you don't have, at a minimum, a high school education how is giving you more money going to change that?

If you are given everything, what is the incentive to try and improve yourself?

It hasn't happened in 60 years, why do you think it will change if we give even more money to the same people?
I have no idea where you are going off into, the point is it makes no sense that the GOP wants to continue the insane spending going on to the very over bloated military, but wants to propose slashing food stamps which makes up a very tiny portion of the country's budget.

By slashing military spending that doesn't mean to use it for more entitlements, it means to cut spending period so we can get the deficit back in order.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:14 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
IIRC, it was the Democrats who passed "Pay-Go". Now they are unwilling to follow their own rules? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Meanwhile the left screams for a cut to farm subsidies...........

Newsflash: Food stamps = farm subsidies

When the OP uses the word dimwits he projects too much.
Perhaps you'd prefer Mittwits?

Let's not forget, much of the hue & cry for increased defense spending is little more than corporate welfare, the Fright Wing's favorite nannying activity.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't recall having come across you before so I'll give you an opportunity to answer a question all other Liberals have refused to answer.

The US Census Bureau reports there are 110 Million Households.

Media Industry reports show 99 Million Households have cable, or satelite or both.

ISPs report that 90 Million Households have internet connection.

The USDA reports 47 Million Households receiving Food Stamp benefits.

Now, here's the question, what's wrong with that picture?

Seeing how *******s always dodged the issue, I thought maybe it was due to the fact that it required the application of 5th Grade Math. So I'll do the math for you.

All things being equal:

110 Million Households - 47 Million Households w/Food Stamps = 63 Million Households.

That means 63 Million Households should be have cable, satellite or both, not 99 Million, and 63 Million Households should have internet connection, not 90 Million.

What intelligent people understand then, is that tax-payers are not buying food for "needy" people, rather tax-payers are paying the cable/satellite bills for other people; tax-payers are paying the internet service bill for other people; tax-payers are paying the cell-phone bills for other people.

Right?

Because logically, if you don't have enough money to buy food for your family, then you don't have enough money to pay for your cable/satellite service or your internet service or your cell-phone. Yet the evidence proves people that people are spending money on cable and not on food.

Now, justify to us why we should provide luxury items to people?

Specifically, justify why I personally should pay for other people's cable and satellite, when I don't have cable or satellite.

I'll wait for your justification.

Patriotically...

Mircea
Most fifth graders understand that food stamps help keep people out of poverty, enabling them to buy awesome, amazing luxury items, such as $15 dollar a month (GOOD GOD THAT'S 50 CENTS A DAY!) dial up internet service and maybe some basic cable (30 bucks a month, a dollar a day) to entertain themselves and their kids, since they won't be jetting off to Switzerland any time soon.
1/3 of Americans don't use fast Internet | TechCrunch

According to the FCC, about 93 million Americans don’t use fast, broadband Internet, citing cost and complexity as a factor in their refusal to enter the 20th century.
The study, below, found that 80 million adults and 13 million children either still use dial-up or don’t use the Internet at all at home.

I think you should speak to other *******s. Perhaps one with a brain.

Intelligently

--70Ford

Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Most fifth graders don't understand that. They are too busy fighting off bullies and learning about green weenie nonsense and how gay's are equal to be taught any economic issues.

As for internet if you want dialup you can get it free. Why pay for it? When I was a kid we didn't have cable TV or internet and we managed to entertain ourselves. I guess sitting around playing stupid games on the net and watching the simpsons is more important to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies