Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Marriage is not a right, that is given or taken.
The Supreme Court says you're wrong.

Quote:
Now the government granting special privileges to those that hold a government issued marriage license....
As they have since civil marriage was first codified into law.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Sure, if you can explain to me the point? I've been arguing with people like you for at least 10 years. I've discussed the famed "clobber" passages probably a 1000 times at least. After the arduous task of typing up long explanations regarding culture, context, language, Jewish law, etc. the typical rebuttal from people like you is, "Nuh uh, God hates gays!"

Why on Earth should I continue to waste my time entertaining the ignorance of people like you who are incapable of admitting you might be wrong?

The better question, is when have you used a Bible verse IN context? I guess you also are under the mistaken impression the Bible was written in English.
What are the "clobber" passages?

Thank you for informing me that you think that English is the only language that is worth knowing - and that any translations from another language are invalid.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why would you need to know? Gays are legally incapable of marrying one another. Obviously if 2 women go down to the Courthouse seeking a marriage license, the Court will know they are likely gay, and by law will be forced to deny them that license.

That is clear discrimination on the basis of sex, which is a violation of the 14th Amendment.

Why is this so hard for you?
but it's not being denied because they're gay
lets say the dame gay woman go down to court to marry men the marriage is good.

this is the fake civil rights movement of our time that will destroy the previous civil rights movements.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The Supreme Court says you're wrong.

The case you are referencing doesn't support your position on gay marriage.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
It's true. The bible supports the position that polygamy is a normal lifestyle.
Polygamy, pedophilia, and slavery are all considered normal in the Old Testament.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
man + woman = child
Sometimes.

You dodged the question, so I'll repeat it. My wife is surgically sterilized. I could not impregnate her if I tried. We have no children. Should our marriage be annulled? If we were not yet married, should we be allowed to proceed?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Judaism requires me to give up my life before signing a "marriage" document for 2 men.

so yes it violates my religion and many others.

your telling religious people what does and what doesn't violate their religion is sounding awfully close to the Soviets.

would you also ship me off to a gulag for not following your "interpretation" of Judaism.
Civil marriage has nothing to do with a synagogue or a church or a mosque or a temple or with Judaism or Christianity or Islam or Buddhism. Civil marriage is a contract within our civil law that confers to couples who contract one a collection of civil rights. It has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. The United States is not a Jewish theocracy. It's a society governed by civil, secular laws that are suppose to be blind to those under their jurisdiction.

I'm not telling religious people anything about their religion since I'm not discussing anything related to religion.

Again, requiring a government bureaucrat to process legal paperwork in no way whatsoever infringes upon her religious freedom or liberty.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,463 times
Who gives two sh!ts what the stinking bible says!!!!!
It's not a guide book for this nation!!!
We are a nation of secular laws!!!
Religion should in no way be used to make law!!!!
Why can't you people get that???????
Do we want to look like iran??

Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Sometimes.

You dodged the question, so I'll repeat it. My wife is surgically sterilized. I could not impregnate her if I tried. We have no children. Should our marriage be annulled? If we were not yet married, should we be allowed to proceed?
You are a man - correct? She is a woman? By all means - remain married. Good for you!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 PM

613 posts, read 760,310 times
Quote:
Judaism requires me to give up my life before signing a "marriage" document for 2 men.

so yes it violates my religion and many others.

your telling religious people what does and what doesn't violate their religion is sounding awfully close to the Soviets.

would you also ship me off to a gulag for not following your "interpretation" of Judaism.
Look man, it is 2012 you need a better reason than religion for not doing something.
In any case, if you think your imaginary friend does not want you to do something that a certain job requires, please find another job that your imaginary friend will be more comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies