Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
It would make sense if we did away with Prop 13. The ridiculously low taxes paid on primo commercial and residential properties is hurting revenue. Not only does it limit the amount of tax revenue, but it also truly lines the pockets of the rich. It creates a barrier to new home owners (most of whom are minorities) and adds fuel to the gap that currently exists. Also the whole 3 strikes law is absurd. We pay such a huge percentage of our budget on the prison industrial complex. We have neglected the state's best asset, its universities.

One large contributor to the problem is the proposition system. It essentially lends itself to a ballooning budget (from the left and right) and a lack of wanting to pay for it (mostly the right, but some on the left).

I agree that some cutbacks must occur in social programs. I just think that the discussion should not just be about which social programs to cut. It should involve on tax collection and how taxes are voted on.

I think all Californians must pitch in to help the golden state shine again, not just the poor, students, and the middle/upper middle class.
If all Californians would like to pitch in, how about setting up a voluntary tax instead of shoving taxes down everyone's throats?

Certainly there are enough liberals in California who want and like taxes who would contribute very generously to a voluntary tax.

As far as the property taxes, if you eliminate Prop 13, many homeowners would pack up and go. It's the lower property tax that's holding them. It seems extremely counter-productive to try to chase away the fewer and fewer taxpayers you have by trying to completely destroy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM

249 posts, read 194,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If all Californians would like to pitch in, how about setting up a voluntary tax instead of shoving taxes down everyone's throats?

Certainly there are enough liberals in California who want and like taxes who would contribute very generously to a voluntary tax.

As far as the property taxes, if you eliminate Prop 13, many homeowners would pack up and go. It's the lower property tax that's holding them. It seems extremely counter-productive to try to chase away the fewer and fewer taxpayers you have by trying to completely destroy them.
They would pack up and go? Why aren't people packing up from Texas or other high property value states? CA is 45th in the nation for property taxes. That's absurdly low given the current climate. This proposition would harm me on my inheritance. Regardless of that fact, people realize that the 10th largest city in the world and one of the busiest ports in the world is probably a good place to own property. Los Angeles is one of the most prosperous cities in the world in terms of GDP. Why wouldn't a person want to own property in CA? Supply and demand still exist. Not to mention, there is such thing as moderation.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
They would pack up and go? Why aren't people packing up from Texas or other high property value states? CA is 45th in the nation for property taxes. That's absurdly low given the current climate. This proposition would harm me on my inheritance. Regardless of that fact, people realize that the 10th largest city in the world and one of the busiest ports in the world is probably a good place to own property. Los Angeles is one of the most prosperous cities in the world in terms of GDP. Why wouldn't a person want to own property in CA? Supply and demand still exist. Not to mention, there is such thing as moderation.
Why not make a voluntary tax? Aren't most Californians great and liberal people who would gladly contribute as much as they possibly could to save their very fat welfare programs and bloated government?

Look at the Hollywood celebrities -- they're drowning in their millions of dollars - they not impose a celebrity tax and have some of those idiots who can wear $80,000 designer gowns just one time start paying their fair share and stop trying to destroy property owners.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Why not make a voluntary tax? Aren't most Californians great and liberal people who would gladly contribute as much as they possibly could to save their very fat welfare programs and bloated government?

Look at the Hollywood celebrities -- they're drowning in their millions of dollars - they not impose a celebrity tax and have some of those idiots who can wear $80,000 designer gowns just one time start paying their fair share and stop trying to destroy property owners.
You're funny! Your posts are good for entertainment, not good for those that actually want to discuss.

I think that came out a little too harsh, you never know the poster on the other side and what situation they may be in.

Going back to the issue at hand, please read what I posted regarding social spending cuts. Both cuts and tax increases are needed.

I really don't want to explain how modern societies work and why mandatory taxes are needed.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:

That's like saying that since Texans value the right to bear arms, the state of Texas should tax guns at a high rate and Texans would be very happy to pay such a tax to protect their right to own guns and use them. Utter nonsense. Been hitting the crack pipe?

Texas, as well as New Hampshire, Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. is correct in having high property taxes. They keep real estate bubbles from happening and discourage speculators. Note that the RE bubble's aftermath was worse in states with low property taxes like California or no property taxes like Florida and Nevada than it was in states with high property taxes.

Prop 13 has done more to destroy California than anything else. While spending cuts in California are necessary, Prop 13's repeal is essential for the state to have any future.

California also needs to do away with three strikes, stop regulating and micromanaging every aspect of human life and, become more friendly to small business.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Where did you get the 45th in the nation figure? Are you talking about rates or actual tax amounts?

I think rates really don't matter much. Cash matters most. How much do Californians spend on property taxes? According to the tax foundation CA is 15th highest in per capita property tax collection.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Property Tax Collections Per Capita by State, Fiscal Year 2009

I do think Prop 13 needs to be phased out. Everyone involved should realize it was a response to runaway spending at the time - which should not be allowed to happen again. CA could implement a ten year adjustment that lets assessed values rise no more than 10% per year so no one sees their property taxes rise suddenly. Over time rates should rise slightly.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That's like saying that since Texans value the right to bear arms, the state of Texas should tax guns at a high rate and Texans would be very happy to pay such a tax to protect their right to own guns and use them. Utter nonsense. Been hitting the crack pipe?

Texas, as well as New Hampshire, Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. is correct in having high property taxes. They keep real estate bubbles from happening and discourage speculators. Note that the RE bubble's aftermath was worse in states with low property taxes like California or no property taxes like Florida and Nevada than it was in states with high property taxes.

Prop 13 has done more to destroy California than anything else. While spending cuts in California are necessary, Prop 13's repeal is essential for the state to have any future.

California also needs to do away with three strikes, stop regulating and micromanaging every aspect of human life and, become more friendly to small business.
Reasonable points. But you're getting your states wrong. VA and PA do not have especially high property taxes. The states with really high property taxes are NJ, CT, IL, MA, NY, VT, and NH (you got that one). TX is only 14th highest on a per capita basis.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Where did you get the 45th in the nation figure? Are you talking about rates or actual tax amounts?

I think rates really don't matter much. Cash matters most. How much do Californians spend on property taxes? According to the tax foundation CA is 15th highest in per capita property tax collection.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Property Tax Collections Per Capita by State, Fiscal Year 2009

I do think Prop 13 needs to be phased out. Everyone involved should realize it was a response to runaway spending at the time - which should not be allowed to happen again. CA could implement a ten year adjustment that lets assessed values rise no more than 10% per year so no one sees their property taxes rise suddenly. Over time rates should rise slightly.
Rates matter A LOT. Let's remember that people like my parents and my former boss have homes worth A LOT more than my brother's but pay A LOT less in property tax. Percentages matter in this particular case. The reason why it is higher per capita is preciously because of prop 13. The large property boom that led to high per capita taxes right after the boom.

Possibly what you proposed would be a good idea.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Number 1 in GDP, number 1 in weather, number 1 in sports, number 1 in entertainment, 840 miles of coastline, number 1 in state universities and number 1 in technology. I can go on almost forever… California isn’t perfect but it is clearly the best state (in my opinion)…
To bad the "best state" isn't in the "best state" right now. 16 Billion? really?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
The people that pay the taxes for the rest to waste, are getting wise.

Businesses Flee State In Droves
Liberal groups such as the Public Policy Institute of California have, along with the state’s legislative Democrats, made a cottage industry denying reports that businesses are leaving California. They note, correctly, that relatively few companies pull up stakes and move east. But these folks steadfastly ignore the evidence that California businesses, while leaving the brick and mortar headquarters here, tend to expand their job base elsewhere. They don’t look at the many jobs that are never created here because of the state’s punitive tax and regulatory climate.

California demographic shift: More people leaving than moving in - Los Angeles Times
As domestic immigration slowed between 1970 and 2000, foreign immigration filled in the gap. But since 2000, even the state's once-growing immigrant population has been frozen at 27% of total residents. Since at least 2005, more residents have left California than arrived here from other states.
The outflow, driven by high housing prices before the bubble burst, slowed as the recession brought prices down, then ticked back up in 2010 as the job picture remained dim, census data show.
And there is no sign of the old luster returning. Migration all over the United States has slowed to a crawl in this recession, and the exodus from Mexico is diminishing because of border violence and U.S. job shortages. That means the state increasingly will have to rely on the people it produces to power the economy.

The Coming Depression: California Residents leaving in DROVES before the STATE GOES BANKRUPT!
years of rising taxes, dead-end schools, unchecked illegal immigration and clogged traffic have robbed the Golden State of its allure.
The state with the next-highest net loss through migration between states was New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies