Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Educate yourself on the topic first and then get back to us some with intelligent questions. We would be happy to discuss and engage in an intelligent conversation on the issue.
Feel free to start anytime, that's what we've been trying to do. Who is we? You are black, tell us how a 2nd grader with black makeup honoring MLK offends you. Do you really think Luther would have been offended or felt mocked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Stop the presses...I actually agree with one of your posts.
that figures intelligent discussion huh?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Hmm... Black girls dress up like Marilyn Monroe......without 'whiteface'.
:
How do they effectively pull that off without having to tell everybody, "hey, I'm Marilyn Monroe"?

Google images wasn't to helpful with this one.

I can't imagine a black skinned or frizzy red headed white girl pulling off something like this without making some serious accommodations:

Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Couldn't the school have avoided the entire "problem" - such as it is - by assigning the Dr. King character to a black student, or if one was not available, to not assign a Dr. King character at all? C'mon folks, this is not the kids fault - nor his parents. The blame falls squarely on the school for not foreseeing such a possible outcome.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:

This ignorance of this post has earned you a well-deserved spot on the ignore list. Congratulations.
The only ignorant person in this situation was the faculty member who was "offended".

Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Couldn't the school have avoided the entire "problem" - such as it is - by assigning the Dr. King character to a black student, or if one was not available, to not assign a Dr. King character at all? C'mon folks, this is not the kids fault - nor his parents. The blame falls squarely on the school for not foreseeing such a possible outcome.
To assume this kind of absurd response, would make them just as racist as those that look to be offended at every turn. Anybody that is insulted by this has some serious psychological problems, akin to paranoid schizophrenia.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 AM

191 posts, read 242,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
How do they effectively pull that off without having to tell everybody, "hey, I'm Marilyn Monroe"?

Google images wasn't to helpful with this one.

I can't imagine a black skinned or frizzy red headed white girl pulling off something like this without making some serious accommodations:
Blonde wig, red lipstick and the instantly recognizable white dress she wore in 'the seven year itch' or the pink one that she wore in 'gentlemen prefer blondes'. There you have your classic Marilyn Monroe getup.

You're being silly here, it's not a challenge at all because even guys dress up like her and they don't have to wear a sign or anything.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
I don't know why this was offensive. He was portraying a historical figure. I think it's quite commendable that the kid had the guts to wear that to school, probably didn't have any idea that putting face paint on was going to cause so much furor I don't think it was done with any racist intent.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post

Controversy erupted at a Colorado elementary school after a student arrived in blackface as part of a Martin Luther King Jr. costume for a class project.

Second-grader Sean King was asked to remove the makeup by officials at Meridian Ranch Elementary chool in Colorado Springs Wednesday, reported KRDO-TV.

"Each student in the class had been assigned a historical figure to dress up as for “wax museum day” at the school, the station reported."

"Sean's mother, Michelle King-Roca, told Denver’s 7News her son was really excited about the project."

"He said, 'Mom, I want to wear a black suit because that's what he wore, a black tie, a white shirt, and also I want to do my face black and wear a mustache,'" said King-Roca."

"After complaints from a faculty member that took issue with the blackface, the principal asked Sean to remove the face paint orleave the school."

Read more: Second-grader Sean King gets in trouble for dressing in blackface as tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.* - NY Daily News

Now, this baffles me. This child was asked to dress up as Martin Luther King, a black person, so when he carefully puts together a detailed costume including facial make up and mustache, he gets in trouble and told to wash it off or go home? What is going on? When my child was in kindergarten, they were given special light to dark "skintone" crayons and were required to color the skin of all people, which I thought was interesting. Now, when these kids are asked to dress up as a person of a different race, they are supposed to ignore the skintone? Poor kids today. We are passing on our own neurosis. I hope the parents don't send this little boy who was shamed for putting forth his best effort with absolutely no malice, back to the public schools. Too crazy.

What do others think? Anybody agree with the school's decision?
The kids parents should have known better…

Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The only ignorant person in this situation was the faculty member who was "offended".
Actually, it would be stupid to let a child (who is innocent and does not know that blackface is offensive) go out into the world in that manner. His parents are to blame for being ignorant, not the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies