Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

The Family Research Council and American Family Association are steamed. The AFA says Target is "ramming same-sex marriage down the throats of the American people".

American Family Association, Family Research Council Attack Target for Selling 'Pride' T-Shirts | rightwingwatch.org

And now Target is blocking emails from the American Family Association. Apparently, they're being bombarded with complaints from angry right-wingers.

AFA ActionAlert - Target donating its sales to gay marriage group
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Target is targeting gay$ with a marketing scheme and some customers are expressing disapproval.
If it flops, Target will quickly drop it.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Conservatives support a free market unless someone sells something they don't like or that they find icky

Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM

290 posts, read 176,392 times
Thanks for letting me know. I won't be shopping there anymore.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
I guess I won't be shopping at Target anytime soon. Novelty-wear touting social messages should not be a part of their portfolio. I highly doubt they'd sell a "NOBAMA" t-shirt. Social engineering through mass-marketed retail is where I draw the line.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Conservatives support a free market unless someone sells something they don't like or that they find icky
Huh? This is a free market. Target can sell whatever shirt it wants to. People who don't like the nature of the product are free to organize boycotts of the store. A market only ceases being free when government intrudes and regulates it. How you can call a free choice by consumers to not shop at a particular store "anti-free market" is beyond me. Or did you think people wouldn't realize you were being disengenuous? Or, what is even scarier - did you actually think this was an anti- free market action?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
I'll be sure to shop at Target more now! Supporting pride in oneself is not exactly an extreme social statement. Aren't there any gay republicans? I guess not any more seeing how y'all make them feel so welcome in that big tent of yours.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Gah, we just got back from Wal-Mart a couple hours ago. They were trying to ram fishing down our throats! You shoulda seen it, a whole aisle full of fishing gear and accessories. I was quite offended.

From the article via the first link...

Quote:
Retail analyst Britt Beemer says that Target's strategy isn't 'very smart,' especially in conservative states, where it does the biggest business. 'Anytime a retailer gets away from doing what they should be doing by being involved in a social cause, [they] lose.'
This infuriates me! What is it that a retailer "should be doing"? Making money, is that all!? Have no moral sense, just business sense. Sell your soul to the almighty dollar? Screw what Britt Beemer says. Target is doing exactly what they should be doing, because being pro-gay is the only moral way to be, period. Bet if they were spewing anti-gay hatred like conservative extremists just love to do, Target would be suddenly doing "what they should be doing"

Also...

Quote:
The company said it wanted to "resonate beyond fashion." But if they're looking to resonate with Americans, they ought to try defending marriage. According to voters, the country's still very opposed to redefining it.
What voters? Every poll I've seen shows approval of legalizing gay marriage climbing steadily. You know what?

Lying is a far cry from "what they should be doing".

Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
I will boycott them for this. I don't think clothing that represents anything sexual, political, or religious has any place in a main stream store like Target.

Of course Target can sell whatever it wants. There isn't a Republican or conservative alive who would disagree with that.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Its a free country. Freedom of speech. It's not hateful speech either. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. Social engineering? Ha, all this social engineering hasn't changed bigots at all. I mean I am right. Have any of you changed your views from negative to positive on gay people from all of this "Bombardment" of gay rights stuff? Nope, didn't think so. Haters gonna Hate.

lol. Ramming stuff down our throats. Classic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies