Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And do you consider that an insult? Why?

Do you look down on those in the military who use rough language?

Why?
I repeat, since you didn't answer the question:

Quote:
What in that post made you think I was opposed to women using crude language or being in a combat situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
You bring up a good point. When it's just men and they are in a high-tension environment (like combat), they can be pretty crude. A woman amongst them would have to be, not just immune to that kind of talk, but crude enough herself to get along and be part of the team.
I've been in an.....'altercation' with those nice fellows in Iraq with 2 female Royal Military Police providing covering fire from some buildings about 30metres away and i assure you, my platoon could hear them swearing above the weapons fire.

It was enough to make us blush, also high pitched enough to send every dog in the area heading for the hills.

We called them the "Sirens". You always knew where they were in a situation by the fluent and high pitched invective.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I've been in an.....'altercation' with those nice fellows in Iraq with 2 female Royal Military Police providing covering fire from some buildings about 30metres away and i assure you, my platoon could hear them swearing above the weapons fire.

It was enough to make us blush, also high pitched enough to send every dog in the area heading for the hills.

We called them the "Sirens". You always knew where they were in a situation by the fluent and high pitched invective.

I speak Profanity, too. On occasion. I'm very fluent, too.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
As long as they can do the job, they should be allowed to fight in combat, right?
Wrong. There have been several threads and hundreds of posts on CD on the topic of the role of women in the Armed Forces, the same arguements pro and con are just being repeated. My position on women in combat is absolutely not, keep them away from harms way as much as possible. This opinion is not emotional but pragmatic; women simply cannot fight as well as men and never will be, they just are not as well equipped as men physically and emotionally to engage in combat over a sustained period of time. All the social engineering in the world does not change the fact that the average woman has half the upper body strength and two thirds the lower body strength of the average man. Size, strength, endurance, and mental toughness still very much count, contrary to the opinion of many, pushing a few buttons does not win wars. War is not an Equal Opportunity Employer, social engineering or PC does not get the job done. The side with the strongest men, the best weapons, and the superior training wins, it has always been this way and always will.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,014 times
The pursuit of women in front line combat/close quarters combat, is a self defeating one. I, personally would be fine with women in combat if there is no gender norming involved. But most nations dont have the resolve to sustain what it takes to allow women in combat. It tends to weaken a nations resolve much more to see masses (not just an unfortunate few) of its young women come back from war mutilated, and dismembered; it weakens the resolve much quicker than when it happens to masses of men. Further, most nations realize that each woman is their most precious asset/resource in reproduction with regards to protecting the nation's future and producing the next generation of soldiers/workers - deliberately placing large numbers of them in harms way is counter productive to a nation's objective of proliferation.

- predictable response from devils advocate: "Women are more than just baby making machines dontchaknow! They dont need you or anyone else lording over them to protect them from harm!! Women today are capable of...bah bah bah bah!!" -

While this is all well and dandy, and would surely be a great propaganda soundbite, the reality is that from a national interest standpoint (meaning beyond the agenda of the individual woman - or man for that matter) a nation is best served to limit the number of women it disposes of or sends to the killing fields. Ask Japan.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,980 times
Women do not have lust for battle.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:38 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Nor do i dear, nor do i...

Old 05-27-2012, 07:29 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
No one should.

But, what makes you think that women are incapable? What makes you think that, in combat situation, us girls would just cut and run?

Apparently, you don't know women very well.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
No one should.

But, what makes you think that women are incapable? What makes you think that, in combat situation, us girls would just cut and run?

Apparently, you don't know women very well.
I think you missed the posters point.

Being able to handle yourself in combat situation, protect your team, accomplish your mission and make it out alive is much different than being hard wired mentally and physiologically to do so.

No doubt in a givin society a certain small percentage of women are, however men much more so.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 AM

383 posts, read 733,706 times
Women have been fighting in front line combat roles for as long as I can remember.

This lawsuit is about getting formal recognition that they are in a given combat unit and are eligible for the same recognition as their male counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies