Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I suppose we could just give them a lobotomy, then they'd be harmless.
From war injuries to PTSD to backlogged claims, new veterans battle new foes after coming home - The Washington Post

Take it easy Papa Joe Kennedy. While we are at it, don't forget vets who suffer from PTSD , depression, anxiety, etc..

What a wonderful thing to advocate a few days after Memorial day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Side effects would be a valid reason for the mentally fit, so it seems like a good enough reason for the mentally challanged too. Say someone has panic attacks, you want to force them to take meds that make them sick and steralize them? Really?
Autism, Schizophrenia, PTSD, phobias etc are not passed on genetically.
Yes they are,esp schizophrenia.
Autism I'm not sure.

If someone is suffering from side effects that can be relieved by switching to other drugs in the same or different class.

Would you rather the mentally ill walk on the streets?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes they are,esp schizophrenia.
Autism I'm not sure.

If someone is suffering from side effects that can be relieved by switching to other drugs in the same or different class.

Would you rather the mentally ill walk on the streets?
Do you want to lock up vets who suffer from PTSD?

What about kids who suffer from ADHD or ADD??

Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
That sounds like Fascism.

Depression, anxiety, and ADHD are all mental illnesses, should people who suffer from that be forced to take medications? Does this apply to children as well?

If someone is not a threat to others or themselves, why should they be forced to take medications?? Many people who are mentally ill want to take medications but can't afford the medications or psychiatrist visits. Besides, medication isn't the only treatment for mental illness.

I am pretty shocked that a nurse would have views as those expressed by you. I hope your'e not a psychiatric nurse.
Sory,I should clarify. I'm mainly talking about schizophrenia.

As I said,it isn't about access to meds for most mentally ill. My community has a free clinic. Based on what I see in my family,most DON'T want to take meds. Instead some of them would rather take illegal drugs.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 AM

I guess the above poster would rather have these people walking around until they explode like the man in the OP. After the first violent incident he should have been committed,sorry if that offends some.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I guess the above poster would rather have these people walking around until they explode like the man in the OP. After the first violent incident he should have been committed,sorry if that offends some.
I have no problem with locking up violent people, whether they are mentally ill or not.

I do have a problem with locking up people who YOU think MIGHT become violent.

If someone has not become violent, I have no problem with them walking the streets, it's called freedom.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to these issues.
Interesting accounting of last couple of weeks.
Grab Your Boomstick: The Zombie Apocalypse May ... - Gawker

Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
now you want to lock up everybody that has committed a violent act? That is an extremely broad category, pushing, shoving, punching a wall, slapping, threats of violence, plus a lot of women make false accusations. You'd be putting away half the population. Where ya gonna put em all, the jails and prisons are full. You are basically talking incarceration for people with momentary lapses in judgment.
This man killed in self-defense, and they want to lock him up.
Despite ‘Castle Doctrine,’ defendant is convicted in slaying

As for Eugene, the cannibal, I don't believe he had a violent past. There was nothing to suggest he was capable of this.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:50 AM

This is creepy stuff. Been called a zombie gas. Some relationships to cannabinoids also. Can't believe people create this crap. Several of the symptoms listed. Particularly vivid hallucinations, disrobing, failure to obey orders etc...
3-Quinuclidinyl benzilate

Saw an article reporting that they think it was LSD now.

Last edited by CDusr; 06-01-2012 at 03:20 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 AM

Saying LSD here it looks.Ok, they are saying they mean Bath Salts. Nothing conclusive though. Sounds like they may both have been homeless.
Identity and photo of Miami cannibal released: Police say LSD cause for attack - Tampa Bay Independent | Examiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies