Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why?
Nothing objective...it's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Reading comprehension is not a skill many rightwingers seem to possess.

There is a big difference saying that using the word "hero" is part of a rhetoric used to justify more war versus saying that calling the war dead "heroes" is a call for more war.

Do you not see the difference?
No, but then again I live on planet earth.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Default Unsurprising: Liberal MSNBC Trashes Veterans On Memorial Day

Quote:
If there’s one thing on which we all can agree, it’s that any man or woman who gives their last full measure of devotion in service to their nation has a legitimate claim to the title “hero.” Regardless of whether one supports the policies that put the service member in that position, the man or woman volunteered to follow the orders of his Commander in Chief to defend all of us and our freedom, knowing full well what they may have to sacrifice on our behalf. Unfortunately, that’s not quite a universal point of agreement, as it turns out. Yesterday, MSNBC and its host Chris Hayes called that recognition warmongering in an incoherent, rambling statement that will haunt the channel and its host for a very long time:

Link: Video: MSNBC observes Memorial Day « Hot Air

Well, we all already knew that liberals despise the military. At least MSNBC had the courage to say what most liberals think.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM

More proof that most liberals despise the military. At least this loser had the courage to say what most liberals think.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
No my guess is that many vets know the Left holds them in contempt, Hayes just voiced it in public. Obama is the leader of the American Left so it makes sense many vets would not support him, politically.
Wow. You've certainly used up your daily allotment of rationalizations quickly.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Glad I had no idea who that person was that you are talking about. I realized a long time ago that to watch MSNBC and CNN raised my blood pressure to an unhealthy level.

While you are spouting off remember that those who died did it so you can be free to dump your trash on the rest of the country.

My Vietnam Vet husband is a Hero to me and should be to you also. He joined the Air Force to do his duty in giving service to his country. The same is true for my son who served in the Navy in Desert Storm. And my father-in-law who served in the Army voluntarily in World War II. I will add to that list my brother-in-law, and two brothers who served in Viet Nam and one of them was also in the Korean War. So why don't they want to talk about the war? Some parts of life are better forgotten when thinking about them too much causes pain. Each is a hero because they placed their lives on the line for their country.

I am going to go now and fry my hero husband a big juicy hamburger. Have a nice day and I certainly hope some of you think about what jerks you are to be so ungrateful for the service of our hero military.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Also, what has this little twerp Hayes ever done for his country? My guess is nothing.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
More proof that most liberals despise the military. At least this loser had the courage to say what most liberals think.
"Most" liberals? Is this guy some sort of elected spokesperson for "liberals"? Or is he speaking for himself?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, but then again I live on planet earth.
You might live on Earth, but you certainly aren't interpreting what he said correctly.

He never said that calling servicemen (fallen or not) heroes is a call for more war. What a funny notion: "These men are heroes, so let's make more war for that reason." What he said is that the rhetoric of automatically calling servicemen heroes acts to justify calls for more war.

Branding all servicemen heroes acts to promote the idea that what they engage in is therefore also heroic - that wars themselves are noble and righteous affairs. If they're all heroes, then mustn't they be engaged in the heroic? As such, the practice of calling servicemembers heroes serves as rhetoric to justify and to make it easier to go to more war.

Seems like a reasonable argument to me.

Last edited by hammertime33; 05-28-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am sure that to her, he is a hero.

My son, who is active military and has been for 15 1/2 years is my hero.
But, he does not consider himself a hero because he serves.

Yes, he wanted to serve, to give back to the country that he considers the greatest in the world.

But, he considers what he does his job, maybe even his profession. It pays the bills and allows his family to have a very nice standard of living.
He doesn't want to be thanked in airports for his service.
He wasn't drafted.

He chose to do this, just as he could have chosen to be a firefighter or a cop or any number of other public service jobs that would have carried the same inherent risks.
It doesn't make him any more worthy of consideration than anyone else who works hard to care for and support his or her family.

And, that is his perspective, not mine.
You don't have to be drafted or be a combat vet to be a true hero.

Your son chose a difficult path, he wasn't forced into it. That makes him a hero in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies