Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pelosi says archdioceses don't represent Catholics in fight over religious rights

She's right. The Archbishops represent Rome, not the "faithful" in the parishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree but in this case willing employees of that institution have chosen to place themselves into that situation. No one has forced them to do anything.

I think you should consider that in many parts of this nation the only hosiptal in a county is run by a religious organization and it isn't just the Catholics but the Seventh Day Adventists, the Methodists, The Bapitists the Lutherns and the Jews. For for people in these areas medical care is constrained by the religious belif and teaching of the managing religious body! In addition if you want to work in medicine at this level you must confrom your medical practice to the managing churches policy regardless of what you might have been learned in medical school. If you are foolsih enough to think otherwise you won't have a career in medicine or even priveleges in that hospital. The whole idea of choice is not relevant when you have no real alternative!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,755 times
The word (because as we all know, Nancy loves words) is: excommunication.

I mean seriously this woman is sacrilegious. The Pope should have taken care of this hag when she visited him.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
In addition if you want to work in medicine at this level you must confrom your medical practice to the managing churches policy regardless of what you might have been learned in medical school. If you are foolsih enough to think otherwise you won't have a career in medicine or even priveleges in that hospital. The whole idea of choice is not relevant when you have no real alternative!
Drive your car to another part of the country or buy a bus ticket. Problem solved!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 AM

419 posts, read 465,728 times
Birth control is against church teachings, but yet 98% of Catholic women have used, are using or will use, some form of birth control. Maybe Nancy's on to something.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Leader Pelosi, as the media refers to the woman, says that 43 suits about religious freedom don't mean that Catholics are in favor of the suers. I wonder if she really thinks most Catholics are like her. She isn't really a good Catholic as can be seen by these words.

Besides showing her contempt for fellow Catholic, church teachings and freedom of religious conscience, Pelosi is betraying some serious ignorance of her own church.

It would be strange indeed if anyone other than the pope spoke “ex cathedra†for the church. Ex cathedra, which means “from the chair,†is a tenet invoked by the pope only when a position expressed by the Vatican is absolutely non-negotiable in order to be considered a Catholic — the so-called papal infallibility doctrine.

It appears that Nasty Nancy doesn't really understand some of the Latin terms she like to use in her self-defense. She digs the hole deeper and deeper.

Pelosi Says Archdioceses Don't Represent Catholics in Fight Over Religious Rights - Godfather Politics
Pelosi is correct.

Your argument only applies to those (like you) who are governed by your religious leaders on everything, and cannot make decisions on your own.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
She's partially right but confused as usual. I know a lot of Catholics and former Catholics that disagree with many things the Catholic church imposes BUT they aren't going to agree with the government sticking their noses into it either.
She's not confused. She's devious. She is trying to make a religious freedom issue into one about contraception and abortion. So whether Catholics agree with the Church's teachings on those issues is completely beside the point. The Church has a right to define its teachings and dogma and to be free from government coercion in that regard. In the face of government intrusion the Church does not represent Catholics (the Church is not a democracy, after all) but rather it represents the official teaching of the magesterium. Is Pelosi implying that the Church is misrepresenting its own teachings in this religious freedom fight?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Pelosi and her cohorts(Biden, Kennedy,etc) give the Catholic Church a bad name!
Really? Don't you think the church does a good job of giving itself a bad name?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
She's not confused. She's devious. She is trying to make a religious freedom issue into one about contraception and abortion...
And right along the lines of Barry Goldwater, a liberal/progressive of his time.

"The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.'"
- Barry Goldwater, Congressional Record (Sept 16, 1981)

"A lot of so-called conservatives don't know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right."
- Barry Goldwater

Where the heck are such conservatives now, for me to be able to afford at least an ounce of respect for them?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And right along the lines of Barry Goldwater, a liberal/progressive of his time.

"The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.'"
- Barry Goldwater, Congressional Record (Sept 16, 1981)

"A lot of so-called conservatives don't know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right."
- Barry Goldwater

Where the heck are such conservatives now, for me to be able to afford at least an ounce of respect for them?
What's your point? The Catholic church is not forcing anyone to believe anything. It is merely exercising its right not to be made to pay for something it believes is immoral and sinful. Religious liberty. Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies