Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM

33,587 posts, read 18,188,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Lately, J.C. Penny has advertised as if they were a upper end fifth street clothing store yet their product line was much diminished in quality. This is why I stopped shopping there. I couldn't find anything. Same goes for Kohls. I am tired of shopping through over filled racks of very low quality clothing.
Years ago I remember shopping and finding many items to buy. Now the racks are looking sad.. the buyers for the stores are giving us some bad merchandise . The material is the pits and to find quality is harder than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
This fall in sales took place a LONG time before the picture of two gay guys in an advertisement.
You are correct, it started with Ellen DeGeneres. That was a fatal error from JCP, and the gay ads were the final nails on the coffin.

The Million Mom's won this fight, and I hope corpporate America lerned a lesson.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-19-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,842,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Years ago I remember shopping and finding many items to buy. Now the racks are looking sad.. the buyers for the stores are giving us some bad merchandise . The material is the pits and to find quality is harder than ever.
The tailoring of the clothing is pitiful! Most tops are sown with a highly printed material and a lot of ruffles to hide the lack of tailoring. I used to sew and the "peasant style" clothing could be tacked together literally in an hour or less.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
The gay dads thing looks good on paper for political correctness and diversity but it does not bode well with the typical JC Penney shopper, which is suburban middle class families. Now if Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus did the same ad it would be an entirely different response. That of course isn't whats causing JC Penney's problems but it didn't help.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are correct, it started with Ellen DeGeneres. That was a fatal error fro JCP, and the gay ads were the final nails on the coffin.

The Million Mom's won this fight, and I hope corpporate America lerned a lesson.
One "Thousand" Mom's has very little to do with JCP's poor year. It's the "Fair and Square" pricing and new merchandising that has absolutely killed them. Outside of the people who watch cable news cycle and message boarders, (which is a miniscule % of the population) people don't know or care about JCP's support of the LGBT community. Face it...shoppers love coupons and frumpy clothing.

Retail is about price and product. Believe me, I know...I've been a retailer for 20 years. It's the Walmart mentality. Lots of people loathe Walmart and still shop there.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The gay dads thing looks good on paper for political correctness and diversity but it does not bode well with the typical JC Penney shopper, which is suburban middle class families. Now if Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus did the same ad it would be an entirely different response. That of course isn't whats causing JC Penney's problems but it didn't help.
I agree, it didn't help.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM

33,587 posts, read 18,188,329 times
Most things on the rack today , no one would wear to a dog show.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
I quit buying from JC Penney since they quit sending out cards with a discount offer on them and sales catalogs. Stopping that was surely a bad marketing decision. I could do without the huge catalogs they used to send out twice a year, though.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM

973 posts, read 1,454,027 times
Another $2 drop today.

"Penney marketing chief steps down as ads disappoint"

Penney marketing chief steps down as ads disappoint | Reuters

Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
One "Thousand" Mom's has very little to do with JCP's poor year. It's the "Fair and Square" pricing and new merchandising that has absolutely killed them. Outside of the people who watch cable news cycle and message boarders, (which is a miniscule % of the population) people don't know or care about JCP's support of the LGBT community. Face it...shoppers love coupons and frumpy clothing.

Retail is about price and product. Believe me, I know...I've been a retailer for 20 years. It's the Walmart mentality. Lots of people loathe Walmart and still shop there.
Million Mom's BURIED JCP. It was a family store, and families were turned off by new gay-store image. If people do not show up at the store, it doesn't matter how your product is priced . JCP should have listened to the public opinon, but they decided to try something new, and I hope they learned their lesson.

I did not go to JCP even one time after DeGeneres stepped in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies