Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sorry, it's his property and he should be able to do whatever he likes, regardless of whether or not it bothers you.

He should be able to have the call to prayer at whatever volume he wants, regardless of what the neighbors think, it's his property. You can always wear earplugs or move.
In that case I really hope the people next door to you decide to make their property a pig farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
So, if you build a game room into/onto your house, you need special parking and signage as though it were a bar, convenience store, ...whatever. I converted my attached garage into a living room-like area. Should I put up exit signs?

Charles Sands
You don't have a correct analogy. Here's an analogous situation.

You want to run a pool hall. You've run a small, illegal poll hall out of you house before, and you want to run a bigger one at a new house. So after buying that house, you announce to the neighborhood association you intend to build and operate a poll hall - expanded nonetheless to include darts and foosball - in a building in the back of your property that will be hosting up to 70 people a day (perhaps more later on down the road). They complain since you guys are in a quiet, residential area, but you don't listen. You then submit a fraudulent building permit to the city asking to build a unplumbed, unelectifificed "storage shed" that you intend to run your poll hall out of - and of course you don't intend to build to safety code or provide parking of any sort. When that gets shut down, you instead build a "garage" addition to you house, and you then run your gaming facility out of that.

Last edited by hammertime33; 07-07-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
So, if you build a game room into/onto your house, you need special parking and signage as though it were a bar, convenience store, ...whatever. I converted my attached garage into a living room-like area. Should I put up exit signs?

Charles Sands
If you are having 70 friends come over 3 or more nights a week then yes, you should do that and a whole lot more.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
What are saying is that every room in the house can be used for only ONE purpose? The garage is meant for holding my cars. If I use it to build things or to have a meeting for any social group, it is a code violation because these are not the intended use for a garage, right?

Charles Sands
Not what I said at all, but keep putting your own spin on things and we'll keep reading because it's fun.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 PM

694 posts, read 745,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You don't have a correct analogy. Here's an analogous situation.

You want to run a pool hall. You've run a small, illegal poll hall out of you house before, and you want to run a bigger one at a new house. So after buying that house, you announce to the neighborhood association you intend to build and operate a poll hall - expanded nonetheless to include darts and foosball - in a building in the back of your property that will be hosting up to 70 people a day (perhaps more later on down the road). They complain since you guys are in a quiet, residential area, but you don't listen. You then submit a fraudulent building permit to the city asking to build a unplumbed, unelectifificed "storage shed" that you intend to run your poll hall out of - and of course you don't intend to build to safety code or provide parking of any sort. When that gets shut down, you instead build a "garage" addition to you house, and you then run your gaming facility out of that.
So, he can't ever use any room in his house for any other purpose other than what it's intended use is? This is nothing but a communist association's try at stopping a church. Everytime I hear about HOAs, they are trying to stop something either religious or partriotic. I am sure they do good things too, but they, some of them anyway, seem to be anti-american and/or anti-relgious.

Charles Sands

Old 07-07-2012, 06:20 PM

694 posts, read 745,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
If you are having 70 friends come over 3 or more nights a week then yes, you should do that and a whole lot more.
I should do a whole lot more? I know what you are. You are like the Big Gov't guy who comes to the house says something "We understand you are a citizen who enjoys his life and we at the Government can't have that. We have found 16 thousand violations all designed to have you go backrupt by giving the Gov't all the money you have now and all the money you will ever have." I should do that and a whole lot more, my butt!!!

Charles Sands

Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Whoever didn't clicked on this link and read it really should.
Really! This part of the story says it all.

Quote:
In 1994, Salman had filed paperwork claiming that he belonged to the Embassy of God. That meant, the document claimed, that he didn't need to follow United States law.

While strange, that idea was actually popular with some fringe segments of Christianity at the time. An Oregon man started it by claiming that true Christians were exempt from the laws of earthly governments. In his thinking, they shouldn't face so much as a traffic ticket if they were caught speeding. Just as ambassadors from other countries have diplomatic immunity, so should "ambassadors" from Heaven.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm going to open a bar in my house without any permits or license, and stick a cross in the middle. That way if the city shuts it down I can cry persecution.

Not quite the same...alcohol is highly regulated, religion isn't...at least not yet.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not quite the same...alcohol is highly regulated, religion isn't...at least not yet.
But whether serving God or alcohol, the building has to be properly permitted during construction. Simple as that.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey
Sorry, it's his property and he should be able to do whatever he likes, regardless of whether or not it bothers you.

He should be able to have the call to prayer at whatever volume he wants, regardless of what the neighbors think, it's his property. You can always wear earplugs or move.
He would have only been able to do that if it were zoned for it. Either you are zoned for a home or for a church. You can't be zoned for both. With the amount of property he had he would've had to subdivide it to create two seperate zoned area. But due to the limitations of his road frontage he couldn't. So for him to legally build a church then it has to be built to commercial standards. So he told the county one thing to get permits and did something different.

So what he said:

Quote:
construction, city officials pointedly explained that the building can't be used for church assembly. "A church assembly use is not allowable under City Code unless the site is developed as a commercial project," a staffer wrote.
Salman responded, agreeing that the building "will not be used for a public place of worship. It is for private use. Yes, we are not planning to convert the 2,000-square-foot building into a public place of worship and do understand that if we want a public place of worship that we will have to adhere to the building codes and such."

And what he did:

Quote:
The problem is that the Salmans told the city they planned to use the building as a personal "game room." Instead, they're using it as a church. They won't come right out and say that, of course. But when I visited the Salmans' home in the quiet North Glen Square neighborhood last Friday, a day after the unannounced police visit, the couple acknowledged that they are using the building for worship.
In fact, it was clear to me that worship is the building's only use. The interior looks like any number of the Valley's small, Bible-based churches, from the altar to the neat rows of blue-quilted chairs to the reproduction of da Vinci's The Last Supper on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies