Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
His actions harmed his neighbors. He's 100% in the wrong here. If he wants to hold bible studies in his home - then just do that.
He WAS holding Bible studies in the home and now the city wants to throw him in jail for doing that!

Atheists always forget about the part in the First Amendment that says that no law shall be passed that prohibits the free expression of religion - it upsets them that we live in a society where people can freely(or should) worship their God.

This man was singled out because of the religious nature of his meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It's amazing that so many anti-religious zealots completely deflect/ignore the right to assemble. Is there a maximum allowable number of people one can have over to the house? God forbid anyone has a wedding/reception or a party in their home. Is there some claus in the Constitution that nulls our rights "if the city codes it illegal"?

Forget that it was one of those evil bible studies for a moment; the city is crushing his first ammendment right to assemble under the cover of a city code violation.

Isn't this great?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
Only in Amerika people are required to get permission before having a meeting in their own home...unbelievable. I am not a christian hell im not even religious but this is absolutely unbelievable. Government gone WAY overboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
That's messed up. Who in their right mind would arrest a man hosting a CHURCH? Blah blah blah permits legalese... this isn't how the Founding Fathers envisioned things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
I would say its HIS house he can do whatever the hell he wants to do with it. That's what I would say. I believe in this really weird thing called property rights and private property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
All this post shows is that you have read nothing. Salman's admitting publically he is building a church. How much more in your face does somethng need to be for you see it? I know it might not fit your little agenda driven rant and it's hard to admit you were wrong and ingornat but come on....don't play this stupid.
one thing you all must understand is that with rights come responsibilities. yes it is private property, and yes he was allowed by law to build a church on his own property, BUT there are specific laws and codes he MUST follow to do this legally, and unfortunately for him he followed virtually NONE of those laws.

these laws are there for good reason, mostly the safety of those that will be attending this church. for instance if a fire were to break out in his home, would 40 people be able to exit said home? or would they pile up at the exits and people die?

i commend him for wanting to build and run a church, i think it is a great thing. but he needs to follow the laws and codes that are put in place to prevent many safety issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Something like this could get me thinking about my eternal soul. You know, get me interested in matters of faith again.
and good times could be had by all.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He WAS holding Bible studies in the home and now the city wants to throw him in jail for doing that!

Atheists always forget about the part in the First Amendment that says that no law shall be passed that prohibits the free expression of religion - it upsets them that we live in a society where people can freely(or should) worship their God.

This man was singled out because of the religious nature of his meetings.
they threw him in jail for failing to follow the laws laid out by the city in regards to building codes, not because he was holding bible studies there. if it were just because he was holding bible studies, i would be as outraged as any christian on the board.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one thing you all must understand is that with rights come responsibilities. yes it is private property, and yes he was allowed by law to build a church on his own property, BUT there are specific laws and codes he MUST follow to do this legally, and unfortunately for him he followed virtually NONE of those laws.

these laws are there for good reason, mostly the safety of those that will be attending this church. for instance if a fire were to break out in his home, would 40 people be able to exit said home? or would they pile up at the exits and people die?

i commend him for wanting to build and run a church, i think it is a great thing. but he needs to follow the laws and codes that are put in place to prevent many safety issues.

and good times could be had by all.
He tried to comply with those laws - but everything he did was opposed by the neighbors - they had an agenda.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Salmans's home is not a church - a church has building codes that it needs to abide by because it is used for a specific purpose - this man was holding Bible studies in his home - and was targeted because someone didn't like that.
He built a church on his property - something he said he was going to do from the minute he moved in. He did so in an illegal manner, lying to the city the whole time while filing a permit for an unplumbed, unelectrified shed in order to (unlawfully) get around zoning requirements, safety codes, and the objections of his neighbors. Take a min to read the article from 2008 I linked in a previous post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/25063959-post32.html

Old 07-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they threw him in jail for failing to follow the laws laid out by the city in regards to building codes, not because he was holding bible studies there. if it were just because he was holding bible studies, i would be as outraged as any christian on the board.
There shouldn't be a code in place for holding a Bible study. Note - he stopped trying to build a church and went "down" to the level of allowing his friends and neighbors in to study the Bible. They were in a structure approved by the city - that met all requirements for occupancy and had permits - and the neighbors continued to complain.

Maybe the city or the neighbors weren't motivated by religious intolerance - but people seem to be complaining a little too much over nothing. There was no blocking of driveways - or any harm being done to the neighbors - they didn't like what a man was doing in his own home and became busybodies.

The day that our activities in our own homes have to pass muster by our neighbors when they aren't being harmed can't be described anyway else but as bad.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
He built a church on his property - something he said he was going to do from the minute he moved in. He did so in an illegal manner, lying to the city the whole time while filing a permit for an unplumbed, unelectrified shed in order to (unlawfully) get around zoning requirements, safety codes, and the objections of his neighbors. Take a min to read the article from 2008 I linked in a previous post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/25063959-post32.html
I read that - and that was 4 years a go - now he is simply holding Bible studies in a building that he constructed following all city codes and which was permitted - he is being hounded.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
There shouldn't be a code in place for holding a Bible study. Note - he stopped trying to build a church and went "down" to the level of allowing his friends and neighbors in to study the Bible. They were in a structure approved by the city - that met all requirements for occupancy and had permits - and the neighbors continued to complain.

Maybe the city or the neighbors weren't motivated by religious intolerance - but people seem to be complaining a little too much over nothing. There was no blocking of driveways - or any harm being done to the neighbors - they didn't like what a man was doing in his own home and became busybodies.

The day that our activities in our own homes have to pass muster by our neighbors when they aren't being harmed can't be described anyway else but as bad.
So if your neighbor decided to build a mosque, have 70 muslims over multiple times a week and blast, at full volume, the call to prayer 5 times a day over the entire neighborhood you would be perfectly ok with that, right?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So if your neighbor decided to build a mosque, have 70 muslims over multiple times a week and blast, at full volume, the call to prayer 5 times a day over the entire neighborhood you would be perfectly ok with that, right?
I would complain about the full volume part - but sure - the property belongs to the owner - they can do what they like on it.

How does broadcasting a call to prayer harm anyone? A decibel meter could be used to be sure that it doesn't hurt anyones eardrums.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It's amazing that so many anti-religious zealots completely deflect/ignore the right to assemble. Is there a maximum allowable number of people one can have over to the house? God forbid anyone has a wedding/reception or a party in their home. Is there some claus in the Constitution that nulls our rights "if the city codes it illegal"?

Forget that it was one of those evil bible studies for a moment; the city is crushing his first ammendment right to assemble under the cover of a city code violation.

Isn't this great?
Oh please.

If you have a wedding reception at your home for a family member or a friend that is fine.

If you are in the business of holding wedding receptions on a weekly basis you've exceeded the limits of what is considered reasonable in many residential neighborhoods.

The guy needs to move out into the sticks where he can do his thing.

Why do these fake "Christians" not only think they are above the law, but then LIE about the circumstances surrounding the controversy in a lame attempt to portray themseves the victims of religious persecution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies