Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:23 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times

Advertisements

I lived in Phoenix for 16 years, and it is a very conservative, church friendly communtiy, so the whole "persecution by the city" thing just doesn't fly. It's not like the city dropped the hammer on this guy out of the blue. He flagrantly ignored city warnings for years and then acted all surprised (gasp!) when they finally took action against him...

To those who feel this guy is wronged, let me ask you a question: Would you be okay if your neighbor opened an unlicensed bar next door, but called it a book club? And you had to deal with the commercial traffic, congestion, etc. to acommodate this "book club"? I mean, he's running a church, you're defending his right to run a church, but he doesn't want to call it a church because he doesn't want to go through legal channels (that other churches have to).
Do you think businesses (for and not for profit) should be able to disregard fire codes? Be able to create disruptive conditions (Congestion, parking problems) for their neighbors?
Like I said, Phoenix is a very church friendly city. Many churches thrive there, probably because they don't scoff at the laws of their community.

(And before you classify me as "Anti-Church", I will tell you that I live literally 2 doors down from a large church. In spite of my unabashed heathenism, I'm very good friends with the pastor, and donate food/clothing etc. to them. I think this church is an asset to the community. I'm sure most churches are. That doesn't mean that I think they should be able to operate with a flagrant disregard for their neighbors and the municipal codes of their community)

Last edited by quigboto; 07-07-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What about bible study orgies? Sort of an hands on study of Sodom and Gomorrah (pun intended).
Something like this could get me thinking about my eternal soul. You know, get me interested in matters of faith again.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 PM

477 posts, read 365,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How would you feel if your next door neighbor (in an urban, single-family home neighborhood) lied to the city by telling them he was building a shed/garage but instead constructed a fully operational Church (yet unsafe with major code violations) serving 70 or so congregants 3+ days and nights a week?

I don't call that a meeting in your own house. You do?
I would say its HIS house he can do whatever the hell he wants to do with it. That's what I would say. I believe in this really weird thing called property rights and private property.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I lived in Phoenix for 16 years, and it is a very conservative, church friendly communtiy, so the whole "persecution by the city" thing just doesn't fly. It's not like the city dropped the hammer on this guy out of the blue. He flagrantly ignored city warnings for years and then acted all surprised (gasp!) when they finally took action against him...

To those who feel this guy is wronged, let me ask you a question: Would you be okay if your neighbor opened an unlicensed bar next door, but called it a book club? And you had to deal with the commercial traffic, congestion, etc. to acommodate this "book club"? I mean, he's running a church, you're defending his right to run a church, but he doesn't want to call it a church because he doesn't want to go through legal channels (that other churches have to).
Do you think businesses (for and not for profit) should be able to disregard fire codes? Be able to create disruptive conditions (Congestion, parking problems) for their neighbors?
Like I said, Phoenix is a very church friendly city. Many churches thrive there, probably because they don't scoff at the laws of their community.
Oh come on. Remember, he's an Emissary of God who doesn't have to follow the laws of the US.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
I would say its HIS house he can do whatever the hell he wants to do with it. That's what I would say. I believe in this really weird thing called property rights and private property.
Whatever he wants? How about building on his property a 7 night a week, all night dance club? Do his neighbors not have any rights to not be subjected to that kind of noise, traffic, and property devaluation? Lets keep in mind it's his neighbors who didn't want him building his church (according to the association president, the other 1,399 residents were in unanimous agreement) and got the city involved.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Its his house as long as the people he has as guests are blocking traffic or causing a nuisance then no the city needs to stay the hell out of it. Its a sad day in Amerika when a man can't use his home for what he wants..and we are supposedly a free country...

Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Its his house as long as the people he has as guests are blocking traffic or causing a nuisance then no the city needs to stay the hell out of it. Its a sad day in Amerika when a man can't use his home for what he wants..and we are supposedly a free country...
Freedoms doesn't mean free to do whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want, damn everybody else.

His neighbors (this is in a major city - not a rural area) thought his plans of building a large church that meets 3+ times a week along with a basketball court, gym, and day care center would create too much traffic, cause a nuisance, and devalue their properties - and they didn't take kindly when he lied to the city and tried to build it anyway under the guise of a garage.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 PM

On my property it does. That's why its called PRIVATE property. Freedom should mean being able to do whatever you want as long as you are not harming others in some way.Just because a few neighbors get grouchy because he gets to use his home he paid for for what he wants doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
On my property it does. That's why its called PRIVATE property. Freedom should mean being able to do whatever you want as long as you are not harming others in some way.Just because a few neighbors get grouchy because he gets to use his home he paid for for what he wants doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to do it.
His actions harmed his neighbors. He's 100% in the wrong here. If he wants to hold bible studies in his home - then just do that. If he wants to build a church - go about doing it in the way every other church does - legally and in a way that doesn't negatively impact your neighbors.

I'm curious, like this man, are you too an Emissary of God to whom worldly laws do not apply?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. It never has and never will. You people...where do you come up with this stuff? You can't make up definitions to suit you. I'd love for you to test your theory and get back to us though. Living in and among others, in a society, always come with restrictions. Sorry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies