Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Read the first pages but you can blame this on illegal immigration and the feminist movement, men have become second rate citizens compared to women when relationships is concerned. Blame the government for turning men into insecure *******.
Or how about we "man up" quit blaming everyone else for our problems and take charge of our own futures? What a concept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,399,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I do.
There are so many more productive things to do.

Look, I played video games when I was a kid. Every once in a while, my wife and I play a little even today. But I don't know why, but it doesn't seem like a grown-up full time hobby.

Why not go to the gym? Volunteer? Read? Learn something? Cook? Garden? Swim? Train for an event?

I WISH I had time to get fully involved in my PRODUCTIVE hobbies...to see someone spend copious amounts of time doing something so pointless and nonproductive for hours a week is just lame and kind of gross, actually. No opportunity for growth there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Look how I spend my time after work is MY business. The money for games comes from my wages, not out of anyone else's pocket. Somedays I just want to sit on my bed after an exhausting day at work and play a little Madden. Games aren't my only thing though. I converse with my roommate over politics. I'm thinking about taking improv classes. I like to go to happy hour as well. But I should be demonized because I like to play some Call of Duty after a hard day?
I totally agree with Dissenter. I am in Law School, I work anywhere from 30-40+ hours a week depending on the week during summers. I volunteer in the community, I volunteer with the local Dems. I have my own place I do a bunch of cooking and host dinner parties, get good exercise, but hey I like to play Terraria and some old video games from my childhood so I get demonized. Though in all fairness not all women demonize this. My ex was also a gamer and we used to play WOW together in college. Granted my cooking skills were and have always been a net + in relationships.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 07-15-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I totally agree with Dissenter. I am in Law School, I work anywhere from 30-40+ hours a week depending on the week during summers. I volunteer in the community, I volunteer with the local Dems. I have my own place I do a bunch of cooking and host dinner parties, get good exercise, but hey I like to play Terraria and some old video games from my childhood so I get demonized. Though in all fairness not all women demonize this. My ex was also a gamer and we used to play WOW together in college. Granted my cooking skills were and have always been a net + in relationships.
I totally agree with you and Dissenter. At the end of the day we all have different hobbies and things that makes us happy. Plenty of dudes, and yes women, play video games and are being productive at the same time.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,380,241 times
My daughter's boyfriend was telling us that he lived at home until he was 36. He was truck driver and could be gone for a week or two at a time. He also needed someone to care for his son while he was working. He said he did all the home maintainance for his step-dad.

He will be 46 in Dec. He drives a school bus and works 10hrs at the gas station his sister mananges. Because his sister is the boss, he sets his own schedule. They are able to live the lifestyle they want. They paid for their house in cash. Someone they knew lost their parent and wanted to get rid of the house they inherited ASAP. My daughter said they paid around $8K. His son is grown and deceased and she gets her fill of children at work. My daughter is a 32 yearold teacher.

I really don't see while video games are demonized. As long as one's responsiblities are not being neglected.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,223,704 times
People are not stupid - though sometimes they are easily fooled.
When nearly 60% are wholly dependent upon government for their salaries, pensions and / or entitlements, the 40% who are the donor class are being squeezed... to death.

The Federal tax and spend system takes 23 to 26% of the GDP (depending on how you wish to consider deficits versus receipts). The individual State government also impose their “skim†- which vary from the highest 3: (Vermont, Hawaii, Wyoming) to the lowest 3: (New Hampshire, Texas, and South Dakota).
http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/05staxrank.html
US Per Capita Government Spending for 2012 - Charts
2012 GDP: $15.6 T, U.S. population : 314.1 M, Per Capita : $49665.71
• Federal spending, per capita : $12,083.0 (percentage of GDP: 24%)
• State spending, per capita : $ 4,454.10 (percentage of GDP: 9%)
• Local spending, per capita : $ 5,308.4 (percentage of GDP: 11%)
Summed up, combined government spending takes (approx) 44% of the GDP.
If you’re one of the donors (tax payers), you’re working 44% (or more) of your life to support “their spending habitâ€.
And guess where that money comes from to pay all those taxes?
The RETAIL PRICE for American made goods and services. For where else would the money come from?
(This is why INFLATION doesn't disappear despite the manipulations of the interest rate)

Which also means that other countries that do not shift the tax bill into the retail price, are able to sell to us far cheaper than we can export to them. (ex: VAT)

If you want REAL ECONOMIC RECOVERY, you need to downsize the government, its taxes, bureaucracy, and overhead expense that is a brake on the economy.

Since that isn't going to happen anytime soon, we're [expletive deleted].

Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,922,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Men are driven by sex, right? Well... Why would we want relationships when women's panties drop easier and easier every year?

That's because we need to put less and less effort into getting laid.

Because they offer more challenge than women do.

As long as women allow men to be boys... they'll be boys.

Men are what women allow them to be. I love women, but they've become too easy. I'm young at 23 still, but I'm observant. When men don't have to work, its only natural they become lazy.
You have been watching too many movies if you think all young men are interested is sex. Some are more interested in video games or other diversions. When I was young it was sports. Oh, and the story of the mother who drove her son to work? My mother says a lot of her friends do as their children lost their drivers licenses, usually by driving drunk.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-15-2012 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Add sports

Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I'm not talking about playing games once in a while.

I EVEN SAID (for the reading deficient - law school demands a lot of reading, no?) that my wife and I occasionally still pop in a game and play a little now and then.

I'm talking about it being a daily or major activity in one's life. Please do not act like there aren't MILLIONS of guys who are like this. Some of my friends' husbands are like this. This is NOT sexy...not to them, not to me. It's not a coincidence that when my friend's hubby dropped the controller and started working out like crazy (it was a work contest - prior to that, he was el lumpo), that his wife suddenly started talking about how sexy he was.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm not talking about playing games once in a while.

I EVEN SAID (for the reading deficient - law school demands a lot of reading, no?) that my wife and I occasionally still pop in a game and play a little now and then.

I'm talking about it being a daily or major activity in one's life. Please do not act like there aren't MILLIONS of guys who are like this. Some of my friends' husbands are like this. This is NOT sexy...not to them, not to me. It's not a coincidence that when my friend's hubby dropped the controller and started working out like crazy (it was a work contest - prior to that, he was el lumpo), that his wife suddenly started talking about how sexy he was.
If it is any consolation, shopping isn't sexy to me, neither is getting nails done or whatever. Women have time wasters just as addictive as video games us men don't like.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,470 times
Quote:
If it is any consolation, shopping isn't sexy to me, neither is getting nails done or whatever. Women have time wasters just as addictive as video games us men don't like.
Yup, sure do. And the only game I play is Madden.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,380,241 times
Quote:
Especially shopping.My sister could spend a whole day at Wal-Mart and not buy a single thing. Or she will go to 3-4 different stores looking for an outfit. Sorry but thats being too picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies