Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Our rights come from God.

Our founding documents confirm this is true.

It is for the purpose of facilitating these rights that governments exist.

Since men cannot take away God-given rights, your question becomes an orphan of logic.

Maybe so, but I hear a lot of talk about losing rights under Obama. Yet, nobody can quite identify what rights have been lost.

Strange, no?

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That view is entirely wrong. Just like World War II, the objective is to grow out of debt -- make the economy grow so that the debt is insignificant. Incidentally, the interest on the debt is the same as in 2006.
He was referring to federal workers.

The era of big government has returned with a vengeance, in the form of the largest federal work force in modern history.

The Obama administration says the government will grow to 2.15 million employees this year, topping 2 million for the first time since President Clinton declared that “the era of big government is over” and joined forces with a Republican-led Congress in the 1990s to pare back the federal work force.

Most of the increases are on the civilian side, which will grow by 153,000 workers, to 1.43 million people, in fiscal 2010.

Largest-ever federal payroll to hit 2.15 million - Washington Times

2,548 posts, read 2,164,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I would like the OP to show where the right said "rights" were taken away when obama took office.
How much time do you have.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You're kidding right? This is the guy that signed the ****ing indefinite detention bill.

But that aside, your point is only a valid one to the stupid and simpleminded (aka liberals). You're implying that in order to take issue with a politician, that politician has to have directly taken rights away, in a prior instance. I could use the same argument to stand up for Hitler before the holocaust. I mean, he hadn't killed any jews... yet.

Not to make any type of comparison between the two, but surely you get my point. Or not...

I would also submit that massive debt and deficits are a huge threat to our national security and therefore the system that has in the past protected the rights afforded to us by our constitution. It just won't happen next week, so idiot liberals won't be able to make the connection. Short memory, ya know.

I don't like indefinite detention either, but it did not start with Obama. It started under Bush.

And, this thread is about rights lost...not about impending losses, which is nothing more than excited speculation based upon...well...based upon nothing but fear.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You lost the right to board an aircraft without being examined first long before Obama took office. The X-ray machines are just a new addition to an older issue. You can rest assured that more intrusive machines will be developed in the future.

Since you blame Obama for this, I assume you were alright with having lost the right to board an airplane under Bush, so long as it didn't involve X-rays and groping?
Somehow that was all O.K. under George W. Bush Jr. but its a major problem under President Obama.

Now what's the difference?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe so, but I hear a lot of talk about losing rights under Obama. Yet, nobody can quite identify what rights have been lost.

Strange, no?
People tend to lump rights and freedoms into the same place, but we have been watching our freedoms get trampled on little by little, thru both the government and the courts.

It's all about perceptions, and with 0bama, we perceive a president who openly denigrates the people for the lifestyle choices they make, and he openly speaks of limiting our freedoms. I don't think all the new laws, regulations and mandates his administration is cranking out, to manage and control all the choices we make in our daily lives, can keep up with all the ones he would love to see signed into law.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:35 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
I don't like indefinite detention either, but it did not start with Obama. It started under Bush.

And, this thread is about rights lost...not about impending losses, which is nothing more than excited speculation based upon...well...based upon nothing but fear.
And ignorance, hatred and bigotry.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Somehow that was all O.K. under George W. Bush Jr. but its a major problem under President Obama.

Now what's the difference?

I didn't say it was OK, did I? But, it's not a right lost under Obama, is it?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

It's all about perceptions, and with 0bama, we perceive a president who openly denigrates the people for the lifestyle choices they make, and he openly speaks of limiting our freedoms.
He does? Got any quotes?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Let's be honest here, nobody with a shred of common sense is happy with where the economy is right now. But to say things haven't improved since the first quarter of 2009 is ridiculous.

Now lot how much things have improved the United States in the past three years and it COMPLETELY BLOWS A HOLE IN YOUR ASSERTIONS ABOUT AUSTERITY.
Here is a chart that flows the other way

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
Our total work force just went back in time 33 years, and it only cost us $5 trillion to paper over it all, so you could show us those cool graphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies