Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM

640 posts, read 717,786 times

Advertisements

[quote=stillkit;25244302
If you think that's not true, I challenge you to actually go to some place like Haiti or Somalia and start a business on your own, then come back here and tell us how successful you were in an environment without all that pesky government interference.[/quote]

And I challenge you to actually go through the process and deal with bureaucracy in this country and see how easy it is.

Given that small businesses employ 44% of the workforce, given that corporations have already shown a willingness and capability to relocate overseas, why would we want to alienate the segment of society that will necessarily guide us out of this economic mailaise?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Not really, I give credit to the seal team and the people behind the scenes and the Doc who is now in jail. We really should not forget about him and should do something to help get him out of jail. No wonder no one wants to help the US.

The effort to get Bin Laden was started before Obama. Dear leader simply gave the go yet took all the credit in his speech.
How bout giving credit to the people who waterboarded that guy (shelik muhammad, I think I'm spelling it totally wrong, LOL) to get some of the key information to finding Bin Laden? Or giving credit to Bush who started the hunt and approved the waterboarding? There was a lot more that went into finding Bin Laden LONG before Obama said "sure, go get em".

And to those who said Obama would have been hurt if the attempt had gone badly..... aside from the fact that there was a lot more at risk, a lot more precious commodities (like the LIVES of the SEAL TEAM!) than Obama's presidency... if it HAD gone bad, all Obama would have done is blamed Bush, like everything else that's gone bad!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
Not what he said, he said that if you built a business you may have built the business but you used public things like roads and bridges to make it happen and so owe a debt to pay it forward for the next group. If this is the best you idiots have we win.
Either way he's wrong. Either he's saying that the individual doesn't work hard to get where he is OR he's saying that we aren't paying for the things we've already paid for. The small business owners all pay for the roads, infrastructure and government run programs... WE pay for the things that we use and we pay for the things that YOU use and we pay for the things that EVERYONE uses..... why should we, those who have worked harder, created businesses, pay even MORE??

No one, absolutely NO ONE is saying we should pay for the roads and infrastructure. What we ARE saying is that the President would have US pay MORE, BECAUSE we've worked harder, longer, spent more money, risked more to create a business!! That we OWE our success to the government... and that is simply bull****! We owe our success to ourselves. WE took the time, the energy, the money... WE took on the risk, we made the sacrifices... yes, we used the infrastructures... JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, but WE are what's different in the equation... WE made our businesses!! And it is a SLAP in the face of every hard working business person for the President to say we didn't make it ourselves!!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So? What's that got to do with opening a business there? Would you, or wouldn't you?
No I wouldn't and that would be due to lack of disposable income.
Why would I even consider opening a business in a country with ZERO consumer demand ?

If there was a demand you can betcha the multinationals would be there because they can wheel and deal with governments. That's why they are called MULTINATIONALS.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The military sabatoged Carter, and Generals should have been court-martialed. Reagan caved-in to terrorists. A shameful, cowardly behavior. Obama ... well, he got bin Laden. Kinda sticks in the throat of the extremists. I just love to watch them choke when Obama is referred as stronger in foreign affairs, and more trustworthy when it comes to national defense.
So you think politically partisan military pilots, crashed a helicopter into a C-130, killing 8 service members in the fires that followed, just to spite president Carter?

Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
Not what he said, he said that if you built a business you may have built the business but you used public things like roads and bridges to make it happen and so owe a debt to pay it forward for the next group. If this is the best you idiots have we win.
We have been paying taxes for infrastructure all our working lives, Obama acts like this is something new, and none of the business owners have paid any taxes into government at all, and are some how free loaders in all this.

I can sum up what Obama said, by paraphrasing it:

“Look around your city. You see people in the top 2%, you see those businesses? Well, those people aren’t so smart; they aren’t working so hard; they did not build their businesses; someone else made that happen. They don’t have a right to all they have, they haven’t paid their fair share in taxes. Vote for me, and together we will take want we want from the rich."

Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Either way he's wrong. Either he's saying that the individual doesn't work hard to get where he is OR he's saying that we aren't paying for the things we've already paid for. The small business owners all pay for the roads, infrastructure and government run programs... WE pay for the things that we use and we pay for the things that YOU use and we pay for the things that EVERYONE uses..... why should we, those who have worked harder, created businesses, pay even MORE??

No one, absolutely NO ONE is saying we should pay for the roads and infrastructure. What we ARE saying is that the President would have US pay MORE, BECAUSE we've worked harder, longer, spent more money, risked more to create a business!! That we OWE our success to the government... and that is simply bull****! We owe our success to ourselves. WE took the time, the energy, the money... WE took on the risk, we made the sacrifices... yes, we used the infrastructures... JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, but WE are what's different in the equation... WE made our businesses!! And it is a SLAP in the face of every hard working business person for the President to say we didn't make it ourselves!!
In other words..."From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs". Pretty much the Obama doctrine.

After this latest attack on business, I wonder how many more will "go Galt" and close their doors or move offshore.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Dear lover of Kos.

I saw the actual speech. I saw the Romney video. The video does not undo what barak obama said. regardless of bridges and roads mr obama denigrated the hard working Americans who have done so much to make this country great.

He praises the gubbermint workers instead. THAT IS OBAMAS MESSAGE and that is what the Romney video says he says.

mr obama is equal to progressivism and that is NOT a good thing. obama has exposed himself for what he is. He hates success that is not within the purview of government. He believes success achieved by individuals outside of the government is exploitation. This is what obama believes and this is the governing principle of his presidency and this is a big reason WHY our economy has not recovered and CANNOT recover with him as president.

obama, out of touch, out of ideas and out of excuses. Now we are going to kick him OUT OF THE WHITEHOUSE!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The military sabatoged Carter, and Generals should have been court-martialed. Reagan caved-in to terrorists. A shameful, cowardly behavior. Obama ... well, he got bin Laden. Kinda sticks in the throat of the extremists. I just love to watch them choke when Obama is referred as stronger in foreign affairs, and more trustworthy when it comes to national defense.
you know what makes me sick? seeing sorry no good liberals who trashed GWB and called him a war monger praise Obama for his foreign policy.

It is rare that I agree with Obama or give him credit, but I do so without reservation regarding the killing of UBL. I even stand with him for killing Alawaki (sp) who was an American that was dispatched without due process.

But to see liberal how ranted and raved ( and still do) about how evil Bush was for GITMO etc yet praise BHO makes my eyeballs twitch. Human detritus

Old 07-19-2012, 03:57 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Well Karl M. & "Uncle Frank" aren't exactly around anymore to help Obama be more articulate in his responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies