Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Muslims can be sent to Catholic schools -- don't forget -- when he was enrolled in that Catholic school, his religion was listed as Muslim.
And Catholics/Christians can be sent to Muslim schools. What's your point?

I was a baptist and I was sent to a private school run by Buddhist. Does that mean I'm Buddhist?

Btw, that application was to the FIRST school he attended, filled out by his Step-father before Barack moved to Indonesia with his mother.

Seeing as his teacehrs from that school even said that Obama didn't take the Muslim religion class seriously, you're at this point grasping at straws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM

717 posts, read 648,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Very few Americans know what kind of "Christian" church he attended for over 20 years, have heard of Rev. Wright, and the hatred towards white people this church spewed. Much of the blame for the lack of knowledge about this goes to John McCain who refused to bring this subject up when he ran against Obama.

Even if Obama isn't a practicing Muslim he grew up with a heavy Muslim influence.Both his father and step father were Muslim. He spent a good portion of his childhood in Muslim Indonisia. He said the Muslim call to prayer is the most beautiful sound he has heard and that he will stand with the Muslims no matter what.

Plus the actions he has taken as President have advanced the agenda of radical Islam. In particular his support for the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and beyond.

So anyone who calls Obama a Muslim is more informed and less naive than someone who actually thinks Obama is a mainstream Christian.
He said that when people are being oppressed he would stand with them. Try not to let partisanship blind you.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Why should we know or care? The president's religion should have no impact on the way he does the job.
Yes we should care. If he is a Muslim, which I believe he is, it will impact his decisions. His love affair with the Muslim Brotherhood being a prime example.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes we should care. If he is a Muslim, which I believe he is, it will impact his decisions. His love affair with the Muslim Brotherhood being a prime example.
same crap was said about Kennedy.

love affair with the MB, of course you have proof of this?

Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Mormons allow for polyamory/polyandry.
No they don't. Polygamy of any kind was banned nearly 125 years ago. Today there is no faster way for a person to get himself excommunicted from the LDS Church than to be found in a polygamous relationship. That is a fact.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:45 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's not prejudice when it involves a cult. People weren't prejudiced against the Peoples Temple or the Moonies.
Here's an excellent article by Richard J. Mouw, President of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California. He is quite adamant in insisting that Mormonism is not a cult. I'll just post one small section from it:

Religious cults are very much us-versus-them. Their adherents are taught to think that they are the only ones who benefit from divine approval. They don’t like to engage in serious, respectful give-and-take dialogue with people with whom they disagree.

Nor do they promote the kind of scholarship that works alongside others in pursuing the truth. Jehovah’s Witnesses, for instance, haven’t established a university. They don’t sponsor a law school or offer graduate-level courses in world religions. The same goes for Christian Science. If you want to call those groups cults I will not argue with you.

But Brigham Young University is a world-class educational institution, with professors who’ve earned doctorates from some of the best universities in the world. Several of the top leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have PhDs from Ivy League schools.

These folks talk admiringly of the evangelical Billy Graham and the Catholic Mother Teresa, and they enjoy reading the evangelical C.S. Lewis and Father Henri Nouwen, a Catholic. That is not the kind of thing you run into in anti-Christian cults.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
I have a few Muslim colleagues, including two women, one from Indonesia and another from Malaysia. They both smoke and drink, wear 'regular' clothes.. and cheat by sneaking food during Ramadan.

Most Muslims I've met (and I've known quite a few) are not religious. My husband has several Muslim colleagues - one of whom is ultra-religious. The other Muslims can't stand him and are always making fun of him. They all work in an enormous open-plan office (IT). The religious guy Nasser put a "call to prayer" as his cell phone ringtone - which drove everybody crazy. One day, Nasser left his phone on his desk while his phone was ringing incessantly. Finally, one colleague - appropriately named Mohammed - screamed at him: "Nasser, answer your effing phone. God's on the line!".
This is funny and echoes my experience with Muslims, some of whom have been non-religious big party animals while others have been religiously observant though quite accepting of others. There is no evidence to support painting Muslims with such a narrow brush.

As for Obama, I believe he is Christian, but I don't really care. I agree with the above poster who remarked that Carter was likely the last (if not one of the few) deeply religious presidents.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,998 times
Carter & Obama have a lot in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
As for Obama, I believe he is Christian, but I don't really care. I agree with the above poster who remarked that Carter was likely the last (if not one of the few) deeply religious presidents.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
That's an easy one. Obamas religion is government and he is one of its chosen disciples. The rest of it like attending services etc. is all sideshow for votes

Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,998 times
Obama is a Christian. See the video:

Fox News Special Report: Jeremiah Wright on Bill Clinton - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies