Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, it should. and so far, gay marriage has been defeated in EVERY state that put it up for a vote - 0-31....and counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 01:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So there you have it. Call it what it is... a Civil Union. If you include the performance art then call it a Civil Union with Performance Art.

And fix the law to make civil unions legal between ANY two consenting adults.

It's the idea of marriage - that Holy unto God - for same sex that offends Christians and believe it or not, NOBODY is going to change that. So clear the air. Get that Civil Union and if you do the theatrical stuff, just advertise the addition of performance art.

Equality for all.
I don't give a **** what it's called. Right now the law is called "civil marriage," and the constitution requires that all people be treated equally under civil marriage law. Every gay couple in American that wishes to contract a civil marriage under the law should be able to, and they should be able to yesterday.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:40 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So there you have it. Call it what it is... a Civil Union. If you include the performance art then call it a Civil Union with Performance Art.

And fix the law to make civil unions legal between ANY two consenting adults.

It's the idea of marriage - that Holy unto God - for same sex that offends Christians and believe it or not, NOBODY is going to change that. So clear the air. Get that Civil Union and if you do the theatrical stuff, just advertise the addition of performance art.

Equality for all.
Here's what we'll do:
Gay marriage will keep being instituted in state after state. You can insist that same-sex marriages aren't really marriages. Gays get marriage equality, and you get to pretend they don't by insisting their marriages aren't really marriages.

It's a win-win for everybody!

NOTE: Dealing with people like you is like dealing with four-year olds. Serve them tuna and they say "yuck!". Serve them tuna but tell them that's it's not tuna, it's really womp rats from the planet Tattooine, sliced with a light-sabre just like Luke Skywalker does, they grin and say "yum!" and eat every last drop.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The whole debate about whether gays should or should not be able to get married shouldn't be placed in the hands of people to vote. Before my Christian posters chew me out for making this claim, I agree with the biblical definition of marriage, which is between a man and a woman. But with that said, the United States of America, as many Christians want to blindly believe is not a Christian country. Nor is it a country where any one's religious opinions should be the law of the land when it violates a person's civil rights. The fact that gay people can't get married is a violation if their civil rights, and propositions should not be placed on ballots for people to vote for or against it when eventually people for or against it challenge that same proposition. Eventually the US Supreme Court will rule on gay marriage anyway, and no matter what I or anyone thinks about it, it will become the law of the land---ending this whole debate at least on the ballot.
so govermnet by the people and of the people means nothing. why even vote for a president why not just vote for a king and he can decide whats best for the American people! Americans are just too stupid to vote, is what you are saying!!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh yes, it should. and so far, gay marriage has been defeated in EVERY state that put it up for a vote - 0-31....and counting.
Yeah! Screw the Constitution! And the judicial branches of government! Majority rules! And if anyone doesn't like it, too bad!

Signed,
A True Republican in the year 2012

Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 PM

764 posts, read 597,443 times
Yep. Someone I knew was mad about how in California they ignored Prop 8 and was going on and on about how "all those people voted for nothing and they should have got what they wanted". It shouldn't be up for a vote. It's so egotistical to vote to deny people rights, even though they are not doing a thing to bother you in any way, shape, or form. Mind your own business...

Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee View Post
The Only God, Supreme!

A SHORT LIST OF GODS. - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Roberts
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours

Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Of course it should be on a ballot. Anything as importasnt as that ( or should I say controversial) should be decided by the populace.
No. This country has a history of not allowing the majority to vote on the rights of a minority.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee View Post
In The Name of The Most Merciful, The All Forgiving, God. HIS, Peace Be Upon You Everyone.

As a Christian, you might be interested in the following: 'God, having thus created man, put into him a light which is called reason, which was to unite the flesh, the sense, and the soul in a single end—to work for the service of God.

'Whereupon, he placing this work in paradise, and the reason being seduced of the sense by
the operation of Satan, the flesh lost its rest, the sense lost the delight whereby it liveth, and
the soul lost its beauty.

'Man having come to such a plight, the sense, which findeth not repose in labour, but
seeketh delight, not being curbed by reason, followeth the light which the eyes show it;
whence, the eyes not being able to see aught but vanity, it deceiveth itself, and so, choosing
earthly things, sinneth.

'Thus it is necessary that by the mercy of God man's reason be enlightened afresh, to know
good from evil and [to distinguish] the true delight: knowing which, the sinner is converted
to penitence. Wherefore I say unto you verily, that if God our Lord enlighten not the heart
of man, the reasonings of men are of no avail.
Chapter 123 Gospel of Barnabas

Would it not be wise to choose the Guidance of The Wise God?

What I'm unable to understand is, why would gays want to marry, if they in fact respect the institution of marriage? What exactly is to be accomplished by same sex marriage?

Salaam/Peace. devotee
I would think they want to be able to share in a legal committed relationship the same as heterosexuals.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
so govermnet by the people and of the people means nothing. why even vote for a president why not just vote for a king and he can decide whats best for the American people! Americans are just too stupid to vote, is what you are saying!!
Gysmo, there was a time when the majority of people said that my black people couldn't vote, couldn't go to certain schools or live in certain neighborhoods. We couldn't get certain jobs and vote as well because "WE THE WHITE MAJORITY PEOPLE" thought that they were doing the right thing. I have never implied nor would have anyone infer that Americans are just too stupid to vote. Why do we have a Constitution if only certain parts of it are just good for the people who think that it only applies to them, but excluding others or the minority? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? That sounds like what my black people went through about 60 years ago right or wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies