Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,041,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's where you're wrong. You don't "live" in Texas, you exist. You actually "live"in California, so the premium is worth it.
Truth! I'm bullish on California! I have lived all over the state from ocean to inland and north to south and it's ALL beautiful and filled with wonderful things to do and see.

So people, regardless of political party, can verbally trash CA all they want if that will keep folks from moving here (not likely). You cannot imagine a paradise such as San Diego was in the late '60s and '70s when there were far fewer people here. Heaven on Earth!

I wasn't born here, but California is my heartfelt home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 PM

831 posts, read 682,349 times
I'm pretty conservative, CA isnt all that bad, i could think of worse places and if i had to villify anything about it, it'll be the idiots in sacramento whose got their heads stuck where the sun dont shine - who wont give the time of day to get their fiscal budget in order.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Truth! I'm bullish on California! I have lived all over the state from ocean to inland and north to south and it's ALL beautiful and filled with wonderful things to do and see.

So people, regardless of political party, can verbally trash CA all they want if that will keep folks from moving here (not likely). You cannot imagine a paradise such as San Diego was in the late '60s and '70s when there were far fewer people here. Heaven on Earth!

I wasn't born here, but California is my heartfelt home.
I was born and raised in California, and you definitely need to get out more.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM

20,496 posts, read 12,428,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Well, if you think CA is more accurately represented by the salamander-loving idiots than by the JPL/Silicon Valley idiots, you're free to do so, but I'm not sure they accurately reflect the entirety of California.

Besides, some of these JPL/SV folks might be salamander-lovers, too!

LOL! I am sure you realize there is a a lot of jokes in my comments here... but seriously That salamander story is true and is pretty representative of the disdane a lot of us conservatives have for Cali. It is a great state. There are a lot of great things about the state from its businesses to its natural beauty to its weather. (maybe im a bit jealous of your 70 degree summer days?)

But you cannot escape the reality that the state is run by serious idiots who do super stupid things on a regular bases.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,485,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
We are ticked because there are about 500,000 of us paying the tab for almost 40 million ungrateful, spoiled, petulant denizens so completely removed from reality and devoid of fiscal responsibility that it feels like living in an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Wait, so California has only 500,000 taxpayers? I'd be interested to know where you found that number.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 AM

14,083 posts, read 15,114,114 times
Because its the most liberal state that is a hot mess. While New York and Massachusetts are in good shape despite more liberal policies they cant point to them so they point to California.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,502,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because its the most liberal state that is a hot mess. While New York and Massachusetts are in good shape despite more liberal policies they cant point to them so they point to California.
How many times have the taxpayers of the nation had to bailout New York? New York went bankrupt faster than California, and that was also caused by stupid liberal polices.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,582,406 times
Texas is substantially less expensive to live in than California is, and that's beyond debate.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,230,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Disclaimer: I'm a rare conservative (more conservatarian) living in the Bay Area of California. By "conservatarian," I mean that I am fiscally conservative and support significant cutbacks of government social net "benefits," requiring drug testing for welfare and food stamps, and absolutely loathe Obamacare. I think the current GOP is full of fiscal hypocrites. On the other hand, I believe gays should have the privilege to marry and divorce and I believe that government should legalize but seriously tax and regulate (in this case, it's fair to do so) all drug use.

However, California's conservative population stands at 30% of the electorate at the moment. Fiscal conservatives have made some gains this year as citizens have passed much-needed employee pension reform in San Jose and San Diego, as well as defeated a poorly-worded increase in the state cigarette tax. Ed Lee is the current mayor of San Francisco and about on par with Mayor Gray of Lexington, KY, a moderate Democrat; he's certainly right of the previous SF mayor, now-Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Yes, California is politically one-sided generally and really has been since Gov. Pete Wilson left office. Even Schwarzenegger wasn't particularly conservative. However, California still serves as a world center of finance, elite higher education, scientific research, technological innovation, agriculture, cosmopolitan urbanism, the "new urbanism" known as L.A. (for better or worse), aeronautics, and shipping and distribution. Sure, politically and fiscally, California is very much struggling. But, I literally meet conservatives outside of CA who are afraid of the "gay agenda" or hate California because of "overcrowding" or groan about all the "hassles of getting to the beach" (and they don't mean traffic). I wish I was being a troll, but I kid not, and these people have never been to California.

Yet...FOX NEWS is based smack dab in Manhattan! The nation's largest conservative think tanks, i.e.: Heritage and Landmark Legal, are based in D.C. Some of the most prominent talk radio hosts, Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, and Ingraham, have been based in the Northeast. NJ has Chris Christie as their current governor. Yet the most urban parts of the Northeast are arguably more strongly democratic than even California (save for SF). I mean, you can easily venture into the San Gabriel Valley, Palos Verdes, Riverside, or Orange Co. and find more conservative areas around L.A. Let's not forget San Diego, also.

Guess what? Hawaii is even MORE liberal than California, Chicago or the NE and has the absolute closest rendition of universal healthcare that can be found in the U.S. Do you hate Hawaii?

I'm from the South and so many people there want to visit Chicago and New York. However, the most die-hard of the "Tea Party" types have no desire to set foot in California, and I literally can't get in a word edgewise with these die-hards when I defend the state. Kind of makes me glad I never went to a Tea Party rally.

So, fellow conservatives...what gives?!

#rantends

California has added over 12million people to its population in 10 years, but only has 150,000 more taxpayers

California has the largest budget deficit in the nation

California has 4 bankrupt cities filing now

California voters approved 20billion in new spending for High speed rail

Your state is so far gone, lol

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,805,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
California has added over 12million people to its population in 10 years, but only has 150,000 more taxpayers

California has the largest budget deficit in the nation

California has 4 bankrupt cities filing now

California voters approved 20billion in new spending for High speed rail

Your state is so far gone, lol

I would not laugh too much... California contributes more than it receives to the Federal Goverment...

If things get so bad in California... the rest of the country will certainly feel the effect.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-09-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies