Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You have a funny definition of "pacifist".
Perhaps, but that has been my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Eh? What? I took a severe hit when I sold my old house this year. Granted, I got a damned good bargain last year on my new(er) house.

Texas economy is thriving but it isn't based on the housing market.

The crash didn't ignore any state in America.
Actually, it did. The States with massive foreclosures were States with an ACORN presence. The bigger the presence of ACORN, the more foreclosures in a given State.

There was no ACORN presence in Alaska, and as a result the foreclosure rate in Alaska remains unchanged from the 1990s.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:45 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, it did. The States with massive foreclosures were States with an ACORN presence. The bigger the presence of ACORN, the more foreclosures in a given State.

There was no ACORN presence in Alaska, and as a result the foreclosure rate in Alaska remains unchanged from the 1990s.
Good to know. I stand corrected.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Most people have actually been to California. I'll bet more people have visited California than anyplace else except NY and DC. Maybe they don't like what they see.

New York and DC have something going for them, however. The national news media. The NY and DC area national news celebrities (mayor, governor, House and Senate) get love from the national news media bubble boys, conservative or liberal because they socialize with them.

I was aware of this but it really hit home big time for NY when Bloomberg's name was floated as a possible Republican candidate for President and the media fell in love with the idea. This was before a lot of people were making fun of him as Nanny Bloomberg. They live in such a bubble that they thought 1) people around the country actually knew who he was and 2) people loved him like they do.

Then Pataki's name was floated. Again, who the bleep around the country knows Pataki? But they see him or used to see him quite often compared to say the Governor of Kentucky.

Remember the national news media loves everybody they rub elbows with on a regular basis because the power of those NY and DC national news celebrities rubs off on them. Without the political celebrities in NY and DC they'd be nothing. That's why they keep touting Paul Ryan for VP (after they couldn't talk him into running for President), another man with zero executive experience but the national news media all know him so if he won, they'd have an "in" with him. That's also why they loved the idea of Donald Trump running for President. The bubble boys in the NY and DC national news media have "ins" with all of those people. The conservative national news media practically have orgasms over Chris Christie. Do you think if Christie was the governor of Texas he'd get all of that national news media attention? New Jersey isn't exactly a star quality state but they see Christie regularly.

Which brings us back to California. Hollywood actor/producer politicos (at least they think of themselves as "important" enough to spout politics) get media coverage but it's the wrong kind. Around the country people are laughing at them but the media in NY and DC would never know that because they rarely set foot in flyover country, either, and when they do, they head to some large city or as I like to call it, their comfort zone.

Look at Cher's recent political opinions, for example, getting national news media coverage. Cher, who hasn't even been relevant in her own field for a long time, is a high school dropout, and never held any office and yet the national news media thinks what she says is worthy of national news media attention. The rest of us are laughing our butts off. Where is Illegal Alien Central? Where have 3 cities filed for bankruptcy? Who is building those Taj Mahal high schools when they don't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of? Where can't you play percussion instruments on the beach? Where do you have to get a permit to have a Going Out of Business sale?

Where is Obama when he always makes his stupid comments (clinging to their guns and religion, under my plan your electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket, President Obama warned his recession-battered supporters that if he loses the 2012 election it could herald a new, painful era of self-reliance in America) that alienates a lot of good people? Who is banning the military from recruiting there? Where is it illegal to wipe your car with used underwear? San Francisco. In fact, San Francisco is always getting national news media attention for its stupid freedom-grabbing rules/laws. I can't even think of a single San Francisco news story that spoke well of the place.

California allows its people to vote on a lot of things and if the leaders don't like the outcome they do an end run around it. For cryin' out loud, your Governor is nicknamed Governor Moonbeam and people went ahead and elected him anyway. And you want to know why people have a low opinion of California?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

When Americans are asked which state they'd like to live in if they had to move, California is #2, second only to Hawaii. (California has been #1 for many years.)

And when Americans are asked which city they'd like to live in if they had to move, three California cities are in the top 15. (San Diego #2, San Francisco, #6, and Los Angeles, #13)

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > 3 Sunny States Remain Top Choices for Where Americans Would Like to Live
These surveys are fun to read, but I'm not sure there is any value to them. Some of the cities listed as America's favorites are places many of us would not put on our top 100 list. In fact, NYC is the #1 city on both the favorite city list and the least favorite list. So what does that tell you?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Alaska has more beaches and coastline than all the other 49 States combined. Black beaches, white beaches, fjords, mud-flats, and every possible combination in between. Only those who are ignorant about Alaska's 6,640 miles of coastline are not "buying that."
LMAO...Alaska. Yea...sure. We're all going up to Alaska to find the "good life."

Please, spare me. I'd rather jump out of a plane with no 'chute.

Quote:
It is called "denial," and it is not just a river in Egypt.

I experienced it first-hand in San Francisco's airport in 1974, and the fool is trying to tell me it never happened.
It didn't happen. That's why.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Good jobs? Fair pay? Rich people who fight for whats right? I think these could be the reasons

Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Most people have actually been to California. I'll bet more people have visited California than anyplace else except NY and DC. Maybe they don't like what they see....
California allows its people to vote on a lot of things and if the leaders don't like the outcome they do an end run around it. For cryin' out loud, your Governor is nicknamed Governor Moonbeam and people went ahead and elected him anyway. And you want to know why people have a low opinion of California?
How's that saying go about folks who live in "glass houses" (or trailer parks as the case may be)...?!

The 10 poorest states are all Republican. Mississippi is the poorest, Arkansas is in second place, and Tennessee is number three.

10 Fattest States in America: TN ranks #04, 31.9 percent of people in Tennessee are obese. 29.9 percent of adults in Tennessee say that they are physically inactive.

Census: Memphis ranks as poorest city in United States

10 Least Educated States in the Country: TN is #8

Tennessee, Nevada, Florida, Arizona and Louisiana round out the top 5 most violent states in the U.S.

BTW, TN is also among the top ten most religious states in the U.S.!!

Last edited by mateo45; 08-05-2012 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: links..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Alaska has more beaches and coastline than all the other 49 States combined. Black beaches, white beaches, fjords, mud-flats, and every possible combination in between. Only those who are ignorant about Alaska's 6,640 miles of coastline are not "buying that."
And who is going to Alaska for a beach vacation? No one.

Alaska has some really nice scenery, but the rest of humanity actually considers a key part of beach enjoyment to be the ability to actually sunbathe and get in the water. Hawaii has you beat there by about infinity. Try doing that in Alaska and you may die of hypothermia.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,299 times
Glitch is correct; you can add to his post the fact that those 'bleeding heart liberal judges' have been doing a serious number on living standards in California, and not in a good way.

For example, several years ago, that looney tunes legislature of ours passed a law which stated that anybody who moved here in order to cash in on this state's highest in the nation welfare checks would only be eligible to collect the same amount which they'd most recently received in their most recent state of residence, and would have to wait six months before becoming eligible for California's higher rate.

Suffice it to say that that law went up in flames right away courtesy of a lefty liberal judge.

California is proof positive as the poster child as it relates to what goes wrong when unchecked liberalism goes berserk and smothers everything, starting with that 'soak the rich' tax policy, schools which used to be among the best in the nation but have been trending downward for over three decades, and rampant environmental obstructionism, which the explains the $.75/gallon price difference for a gallon of gasoline here in LA as opposed to Phoenix, or the $.55/gallon difference in Dallas-Ft Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies