Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If someone can believe in God without that belief being instilled by organized religion, why can't someone be moral without their morality being instilled by a belief in God?
Good question and that would make a fine debate but this thread is about atheists, those people that believe there is no God.

I do wonder though..where do agnostics fit into this picture ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,696 times
Quote:
If someone can believe in God without that belief being instilled by organized religion, why can't someone be moral without their morality being instilled by a belief in God?
I know this question wasn't directed towards me, but they can. But there will be some who take advantage of an ideology that says you are ultimately not responsible for your actions, unless you get caught.

Those that wield power over society can be major threats to society if they honestly feel that they are free to do whatever they want, no one can stop them, and there are no consequences.

The fear of God is necessary. There must be a fundamental set of rules that usurps man's laws.

Not all respect man's laws, so they must believe they will be held accountable to a higher power.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM

390 posts, read 265,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Wow. Atheists and extreme lefties b*** and moan about Christians being intolerant, when in fact there are many of us who are believers that are very tolerable and good hearted people, and yet you paint us all with a broad brush, and lump us in with the extremist types.
Well I am far from a lefty.

Now, that being said, your cult protects child rapists. That is not opinion, that is fact.

Religious people also share numerous traits with schizophrenics. Again, not opinion, but fact.

What does your "real" god think about his followers protecting child rapists and extorting money from fools?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Early in the morning for you?

1 in 20 is 5%, not 20%. The OP never claimed 20%. And the increase is five-fold because then 1%, now 5% is five times as many.
You mean this hip hip horray is because 5% of the public considers themself atheist? Really?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Well I am far from a lefty.

Now, that being said, your cult protects child rapists. That is not opinion, that is fact.

Religious people also share numerous traits with schizophrenics. Again, not opinion, but fact.

What does your "real" god think about his followers protecting child rapists and extorting money from fools?
I would say religious people are more OCD.

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I know this question wasn't directed towards me, but they can. But there will be some who take advantage of an ideology that says you are ultimately not responsible for your actions, unless you get caught.
And there's just as many who think, "I can do X and ask for forgiveness later from Jesus/the Priest and be forgiven!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy
Those that wield power over society can be major threats to society if they honestly feel that they are free to do whatever they want, no one can stop them, and there are no consequences.

And it's just as dangerous as those who feel they can war, suicide bomb.... and find themselves in heaven for doing God's will smoting the unbelievers.

"Kill them all and let God sort it out" is a phrase that develops from a mentality that we shouldn't view every life as precious in and of itself.... here on EARTH. "The afterlife" still exists for anyone we kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy
The fear of God is necessary. There must be a fundamental set of rules that usurps man's laws.

Not all respect man's laws, so they must believe they will be held accountable to a higher power.

There is less crime and murder in eastern cultures where there is no monotheistic retribution for bad deeds.

Explain that.

775 posts, read 741,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You mean this hip hip horray is because 5% of the public considers themself atheist? Really?
115% of the public can do basic math.

[]

Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good question and that would make a fine debate but this thread is about atheists, those people that believe there is no God.

I do wonder though..where do agnostics fit into this picture ?
Right. This thread is about atheists. And my question was about atheists.

Someone said the growing number of atheists reflect a growing number of people thinking for themselves.

You responded that these people, atheists, weren't thinking for themselves, that they let the government think for them and tell them what is moral and what is not.

Someone responded to you that they thought that people of religion let their churches think for them and tell them what is moral and what is not.

You then said that you didn't belong to any organized church, that you thought for yourself and determined for yourself what to believe about God and how to worship God.

If you are able to think for yourself, without an organized religion doing the thinking for you, what makes you think that atheists are unable to think for themselves, to determine for themselves what is moral and what is immoral. Why can spirituality and morality come from within for you, but spirituality and morality cannot come from within for atheists?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post

Honey, atheism is not an ideology that says you are ultimately not responsible for your actions.

Atheism is simply a non-belief in God.

The fear of God is not necessary. And Christ wasn't preaching a fear of God. That's the Old Testament. Christ was teaching about a loving God, a forgiving God.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,696 times
Quote:
Honey, atheism is not an ideology that says you are ultimately not responsible for your actions.

Atheism is simply a non-belief in God.

The fear of God is not necessary. And Christ wasn't preaching a fear of God. That's the Old Testament. Christ was teaching about a loving God, a forgiving God.
Let me ask you this.

Do you feel like there should be consequences or do think people deserve entitlement?

The way I look at life is, my life is the way it is because of other people suffering. That's the American way. I know that there are people out there who work harder, are more selfless, overall better people with better morals, and they don't complain.

If there is a line to get into the gates of Heaven, I have no reason to get upset if they are ahead of me, even if it means I have to spend one full day in hell.

I get what I deserve and that's the way it should be. If you're bold enough to do the crime, you're bold enough to do the time.

I'm entitled to nothing.

That's me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies