Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Don't forget the racist thugs J Jackson Rangel, Al Sharpton, cough Rev Wright and that fool who ran the million man march Farrakhan

Don't forget Fiend stein and her little bald gun grabbin' friends

There isn't a whole ounce of intel in the bunch.
One quick look around here will prove you speak the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I keep my politics out of my teaching,(Just ask my right wing students) but thank you for the advice.

Is that all for a comeback? Really? Then maybe YOU would care to tell me why the GOP's core constituency is mostly white males above a certain age, from certain regions of the country without advanced degrees? I'm still waiting for an answer that one. No one's been able to help me.
Funny, didn't the RNC have a tribute to teachers? Guess that was just more lip service, at least for social conservatives. What a shame.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is, from looking at currrent polls, it does not seem America is moving toward liberalism. Even if Obama wins it will be by less than he won in 2008, the Senate is up for grabs and it is highly probable the Republicans will retain the House.

I don't look at running trillion dollar deficits indefinitely as smart.

The fact is 90% of the people in Congress are reasonably rational people and the partisans on each side will pick on the minority that ain't.

The fact that most Americans, left and right, get a lot of their info from talk show hosts is a bit frightening.

When I was young Galbraith and Friedman made the best seller lists. Now it is Franken and Limbaugh.
I don't think America's moving toward liberalism either. America has always been suspicious of government, and that's not always a bad thing. But the thing is, America is a center right country, but the Republicans are led by the Far Right. A lot more people would be willing to give the GOP a shot at the presidency, but the face the GOP presents is waaaay too far out for mainstream Americans.

Americans want solutions: The GOP is driven by rabid extremists who want radical change, which Americans don't want. At the end of the day, we are a pragmatic people.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Funny, didn't the RNC have a tribute to teachers? Guess that was just more lip service, at least for social conservatives. What a shame.
Definitely it was lip service. All criticism and hatred for public schools and teachers that I've experienced has been from Republicans and Conservatives. And people wonder why those in the education profession don't vote for them.

The only prominent Republican that I believe truly respects teachers and the role of public education in our society was Condoleeza Rice. I think she really meant what she said in her speech last week. Maybe Mitt Romney...but they're both considered RINOs, so they don't really count, I guess.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
I don't think America's moving toward liberalism either. America has always been suspicious of government, and that's not always a bad thing. But the thing is, America is a center right country, but the Republicans are led by the Far Right. A lot more people would be willing to give the GOP a shot at the presidency, but the face the GOP presents is waaaay too far out for mainstream Americans.

Americans want solutions: The GOP is driven by rabid extremists who want radical change, which Americans don't want. At the end of the day, we are a pragmatic people.
The problem is when you take one look at our triple deficits/ unfunded liabilities (Medicare & Medicaid, SS and the National Debt) something is going to have to change. In healthcare it is going to have to be pretty radical change. Obama appointed a bipartisan commission and then totally ignored it and has presented no plan that will actually fund SS and Medicaid/ Medicare .

Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,982 times
Really? White males without advanced degrees? My Republican brother in Texas has a PhD and is an engineer with awards from the Pentagon. My Republican daughter has her PhD and is a college instructor. My son in law's Republican father has a Masters Degree, and his Republican mother is a nurse. Kind of flies in the face of your broad-brushed theory. There's you're help.

Quote:
Then maybe YOU would care to tell me why the GOP's core constituency is mostly white males above a certain age, from certain regions of the country without advanced degrees? I'm still waiting for an answer that one. No one's been able to help me.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Really? White males without advanced degrees? My Republican brother in Texas has a PhD and is an engineer with awards from the Pentagon. My Republican daughter has her PhD and is a college instructor. My son in law's Republican father has a Masters Degree, and his Republican mother is a nurse. Kind of flies in the face of your broad-brushed theory. There's you're help.
Anecdotal evidence doesn't exactly work.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Because they are secretly voting Democrat.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Upstream: Upstream: Issues: Bell Curve: Sowell

I suggest reading that and then try telling me Sowell is no intellectual. If you like the link I suggest reading his books.

Besides Krugman, name me a prominent liberal intellectual who has any sway on the current administrations policies.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM

The fact is there are both more Democrats with advanced degrees and more Democrats that never finished high school then there are Republicans of each group. It is a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies