Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Perhaps, but Christian Fundamentalists/Evangelicals are trying quite hard to take that title from them.
I dont think it can get any more stupid than believing you will be granted 72 virgins in your after life if you die for or in the name of Allah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times
Quote:
Christians make up 75% of the American population. Christian Fundamentalist is attacked, because it's an evil corruption that makes Christianity look as bad as Extremist Islam. That's not an attack on Christianity. Get over your persecution complex.

If Muslims were the majority population in this country and constantly trying to push religious beliefs into secular law, you can sure as heck bet atheists and Christians alike would be condemning them.
Muslims are taking over a suburb of Chicago and pushing their agenda as law. However no one has the backbone to stop them and it is getting worse. I am no fan of fundamentalists at all but when was the last time one tried to kill someone outside of a few flakes who do that at abortion clinics?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Muslims are taking over a suburb of Chicago and pushing their agenda as law. However no one has the backbone to stop them and it is getting worse. I am no fan of fundamentalists at all but when was the last time one tried to kill someone outside of a few flakes who do that at abortion clinics?
So Christians get to disavow "the few flakes" who call themselves Christian, but Muslims don't get to disavow "the few flakes" who call themselves Muslims?

If you aren't a fan of fundamentalists, then you aren't a fan of Terry Jones.

And if people calmly and rationally point out the flaws in Terry Jones agenda, it's not any different than you pointing out the flaws of the Muslims "taking over a suburb of Chicago" and their agenda.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I defend your right to not leave Terry Jones alone. Be my guest. Say whatever you want about him or to him.... so long as you dont violate his rights...

however, you saying things to him or about him is a far cry from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs calling the guy. THAT guy have a right.
I have no intention of violating his rights, not within my power.
Asking someone, even if it comes from the Chairman, to tone it down is not violating his rights, it is simply asking him to use some common sense, something I doubt he has.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Asking someone, even if it comes from the Chairman, to tone it down is not violating his rights, it is simply asking him to use some common sense, something I doubt he has.
The chairman carries the full weight of the federal government. (I was not assuming you would do anything wrong) I agree with you that Mr. Jones is an idiot.

I still dont want him calling the idiot.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
Da Vinci Code is a fictional work, and I don't think questioning Jesus' past is somehow anti-Christian. Most of Jesus' life is a complete mystery. Sure, Conservatives get offended because they are literalists, and to them the thought of Jesus ever being married is considered blasphemy.

And I think you're ignoring the fact that most Christians are liberal, and most of Christianity is dominate in the Western World, where you can't get away with religious violence as easily. Don't think for one second a large chunk of American Fundamentalists wouldn't attack gays or women who have abortions if they thought they could get away with it. We have plenty of "Christian" pastors calling for Nazi style camps for gays, and many Fundamentalists support Uganda's kill the gays bill.

Islam as it stands right now is quite destructive and dangerous. It's dominate in an uneducated, poor section of the world's population, and has not had its enlightenment yet.

Islam today is what Christianity was in the Middle Ages.
And at least one Christian did murder a doctor for performing abortions. Paul Hill. After a few years on death row, Hill waived his appeals and volunteered to be executed so he could go "be with God." That was part of his last statement.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Why would Jones tone it down when he's getting exactly the response he wants? People are dying in the name of religious extremism. That's his goal, so as far as he's concerned, it's Mission Accomplished.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I think Jones is an idiot.

I also think that the pentegon making a call to him should be seen as a chilling thing. EVERYONE should worry about Freedom of speech.

What? can we say what we want so long as we dont make nut job islamists mad enough to kill? Like they arent already killing anyway?
I agree with this. Our Bill of Rights is not a subject for negotiation.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So Christians get to disavow "the few flakes" who call themselves Christian, but Muslims don't get to disavow "the few flakes" who call themselves Muslims?

If you aren't a fan of fundamentalists, then you aren't a fan of Terry Jones.

And if people calmly and rationally point out the flaws in Terry Jones agenda, it's not any different than you pointing out the flaws of the Muslims "taking over a suburb of Chicago" and their agenda.
But the Muslims extremists are killing Americans, remember 9/11? I don't remember any Christian fundies killing groups of people. I couldn't care less about Terry Jones but I don't see people like him running for the school board to push their agenda.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Why would Jones tone it down when he's getting exactly the response he wants? People are dying in the name of religious extremism. That's his goal, so as far as he's concerned, it's Mission Accomplished.
I know that, and I am against ALL Religious Zelots, it does not matter which Religion. Preach hate that leads to violence, lose your tax excempt status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies