Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:07 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Muslims are blameless just operate under that premise and any irrational actions of our government can be explained away.
well, we certainly have plenty of irrational actions to choose from.

i guess if you can't bring yourself to blame militant muslims for the rioting and the deaths, you have to go after somebody in the united states-because we must be at fault then.

it is probably a way to start limiting our rights to free speech, under the guise of "for the good of the country", similar to when they restricted our flying rights because terrorists did a very bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
This guy should be arrested for inciting violence. This is in Aussie land - anybody ever ask why they live there???

Old 09-15-2012, 11:13 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
I can see the government looking into it to see if it was a deliberate provocation, as in the filmmaker made it to deliberately to provoke things. Say he's really on the Taliban or Al Queda's side and wants to provoke attacks on embassies and other targets? Or sway our Presidential election in one way or another? But proving that intent is difficult and I do think we have to consider the First Amendment. But if he is working for the Taliban or Al Queda, he can go enjoy his First Amendment rights somewhere other than the USA.

That said, we've seen similar reactions to the South Park episode, which had planned to show a depiction of Muhammed and the film Submission, which dealt with violence against women in Islamic countries and didn't even involve a depiction of Muhammed (as far as I know unless I'm mistaken). There were death threats against Matt Stone, Trey Parker and Comedy Central for the South Park episode. Theo van Gogh was murdered for Submission and Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who he worked with to create the film received death threats. I don't think it represents all or even the majority of Muslims, but there is a fanatical, fundamentalist element who will kill senselessly. Just like there is in other religions. Working in NYC, I'm a little more aware of them than the other religions. But working in NYC and growing up in the NYC area have also given me the opportunity to get to know Muslims as friends and colleagues. They're in the unenviable position of both being targets of terrorism and being blamed for it.

As for our embassies and military bases overseas, they should be heavily fortified. We shouldn't rely on local security forces. Have a secure perimeter around the base/embassy and have a line with a "trespassers will be shot" sign in English and the local language. Then, follow through if necessary.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:48 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So where is all that tolerance and desire for freedom and peace that the liberals have been claiming the Muslims have? Are you admitting it was all lies?
I don't remember saying any of that. I'm just watching and using common sense. I've never really been interested in their religion. Never lived in the Middle East. So are you saying that ALL Muslims are violent and have no desire for peace?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
well, we certainly have plenty of irrational actions to choose from.

i guess if you can't bring yourself to blame militant muslims for the rioting and the deaths, you have to go after somebody in the united states-because we must be at fault then.

it is probably a way to start limiting our rights to free speech, under the guise of "for the good of the country", similar to when they restricted our flying rights because terrorists did a very bad thing.
NO, this is not a "way" to start limiting our free speech rights. Please. When you see that actually happening, be sure to let us know.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
This attack wasn't about some dumb lame two month old trailer, but I'd talk to him anyway. This guy Nakoula is an Egyptian immigrant who claims to be a coptic christian. Well, he's claimed to be a lot of things. We don't know who he really is. He's already abused the system with his money or check scams, who does that remind you of? Is he just some pig headed immigrant that should have left his stupid grudges at the border. Or, is it something more serious. So, even though the movie was just a cover, it's probably not a bad idea to gather info from him.

(okay, just saw it was about a parole violation, that makes sense).

Last edited by elan; 09-15-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Good Lord..he's nothing but a two bit small time thug.

On probation for 5 years with no access to internet.
It came across that he was this sophisticated, international money launderer.

Turns out he got ahold of a few SS numbers and withdrew $860 from Wells Fargo.
There's your big felon.

And he says he wasn't the director but the logistics guy for the film.

US police quiz anti-Islam video suspect - Americas - Al Jazeera English
In February 2009, a federal indictment accused Nakoula and others of fraudulently obtaining the identities and Social Security numbers of customers at several Wells Fargo branches in California and withdrawing $860 from them.
Given the relatively small amount of money involved, he was put on probation as a result.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Feds interview California filmmaker Nakoula Basseley Nakoula linked to anti-Islamic movie - NYPOST.com

While I still dont believe all this unrest is about a movie alone, let's imagine that it is. SO WHAT?! If anything, they should put the guy into a protection program.

Yet our own government outed this guy and are now interviewing him. As if his movie is criminal?

Is this not the United States anymore? I have heard some on the left say that he should be charged. For what?!

Should we then charge any person who has mocked other faiths/people? Half of Hollywood and the media would be then charged.

This is disturbing that the FEDs are even interviewing him at this point. Yes, I have seen the trailer and my opinion is it looks like amateur stupidity. But that is not a crime.
They are interviewing him bc he's a convicted criminal who may have violated his probation terms. They didn't arrest him and let him leave. So calm down.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
the "government" does not hire special security for each and every American, nor does it pay to have them hidden away for protection.

What on earth makes you think the taxpayers have any responsibility to pay for this man to go into hiding? This is not a criminal case where as PART OF A DEAL to testify against someone or turn over critical evidence the government will put you in a witness protection program. The government is responsible for the general security and welfare of its people.
Did you read my post? Did I say the government must hire special security for everyone? Or hide anyone?

Old 09-15-2012, 04:55 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good Lord..he's nothing but a two bit small time thug.

On probation for 5 years with no access to internet.
It came across that he was this sophisticated, international money launderer.

Turns out he got ahold of a few SS numbers and withdrew $860 from Wells Fargo.
There's your big felon.

And he says he wasn't the director but the logistics guy for the film.

US police quiz anti-Islam video suspect - Americas - Al Jazeera English
In February 2009, a federal indictment accused Nakoula and others of fraudulently obtaining the identities and Social Security numbers of customers at several Wells Fargo branches in California and withdrawing $860 from them.
Given the relatively small amount of money involved, he was put on probation as a result.
AP stories all over the internet says he had to pay the state of California $790,000 in restitution for his crimes. Does that sound like all he did was withdraw $860 from Wells Fargo?

United States identifies anti-Muslim filmmaker Nakoula Basseley Nakoula | abc7news.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies