Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the hanging chair a racist statement?
Yes it was obviously a racist statement. 54 43.20%
No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement. 69 55.20%
Other opinion - please explain. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,855 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to see nearly half think it was not racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,875 times
like i said...they probably be racist themselves...

Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM

101 posts, read 383,727 times
Well, I haven't read any of the links. And I'm not racist Gorfml; please don't generalize about me. I know about the irrational attachment between a national flag and perceived racism (I'm from England and the St George's flag is perceived as racist due to it's co-opting by racist organisations). I also know about yard art in Austin. I know about freedom of expression. I know much about American history and the civil rights movement and what preceded it. And I'm familiar with the chair thing at the RNC.

So, with all that out the way, had I seen that 'installation', I wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that it was racist. I would more than likely have thought that it was someone who supported the President, who thought that he was a true American (hence the flag) and wanted to answer that silly Clint Eastwood thing, and hung it in a tree merely so that all could see. If it was a racist statement it would most certainly have been lost on me - I'd have taken it in completely the opposite context so, if the chap is, indeed, a racist, he needs to be a bit more obvious with his intentions.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,875 times
It was racist...to believe otherwise is either ignorant or racist...

Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,735,836 times
That guy is full of hate. He knows damn well he hung that chair up there to symbolize the President.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,614 times
Okay, I didn't actually watch the news clip earlier, but I've had the chance to watch it now.

What I said earlier still stands. Others have said if he was racist, he would've used a noose. No. That is blatant. He was trying to be discreet. He's quite possibly an "undercover racist." Further, someone else said if he would've placed the chair in the lawn, it would've just been a chair in the lawn. No. He could've placed the chair in the middle of his lawn (for it to receive full attention) and THEN attached the flag to it. That would've served its purpose. He went out of the way....don't know if he, himself, hung the chair or not...to HANG that thing from the tree. And his B.S. statements about the chair getting in the way when he mows the lawn?? Lmao. Please. MOVE it when you mow the lawn. Simple. It's soooo much work for him to move the chair out of the way when he mows the lawn, but he SURE had no problem going through the trouble of HANGING that thing from a branch in a tree. (but he can't go through the trouble of moving it to mow his lawn) He doesn't have me fooled.

He got called out. That's why he was so angry. If he sincerely meant no harm, where was the remorse for his bad judgement?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
I don't claim to understand the motivation of somebody who appears to be quite possibly not all there.

And I don't think you have the right to judge me as "either ignorant or racist" because of what I don't claim to know. Not denying the very real possibility it was intended as a racist statement, but it is so off the wall to me I simply don't know.

Don

Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
So, do you honestly think this man intended his hanging the chair to symbolize a lynching?

He originally hung the empty chair from a tree branch in his yard. The next day he added the American flag. It is obviously a political statement, but is it necessarily a racist statement?

Film footage of confrontation with the man while he takes down the empty chair.

KEYE TV We Are Austin.com :: News - Raw News - Austin Man Hangs Empty Chair From Tree Symbolizing President Obama

BOR: Republican Lynches Empty Chair in Racist Presidential Effigy in Northwest Austin

BOR: Republican Takes Down Lynched Chair, Claims Symbol Wasn't Racist

Link to photo: http://www.burntorangereport.com/upl...ched-chair.jpg

If you were the enemy in the mobs eyes, it didn't matter what color your skin was.
Reading something into the story.

Criminals were hung, back in the day. In front of the entire community.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post

One has to be racist, for their mind to even go there.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?

Only if its politically correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies